• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look into the new normal (2024 CFB Regular Season thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here we are. After months of preening and worrying and speculating, we college football fans are FINALLY gonna see what the new normal is in the sport. Share your thoughts, game reactions, injury news, and anything else you wanna bring to the party.

As for Week 0? Gimme Florida State over Georgia Tech in Ireland; if anything else happens, I'll let you know.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot wait for football!!

My playoff team predictions are (I posted them on another thread but I’ll post them again here)

Georgia
Texas
Ohio St
Ole Miss
Oregon
Alabama
Clemson
Missouri
Penn St
Kansas St
Notre Dame
Memphis

I’ll pick Georgia to beat Ohio St in the National Title Game

As for tomorrow’s big game - I think the Jackets have a decent shot at upsetting the Seminoles in Ireland tomorrow - GA Tech has pulled a few upsets in the last 2 years and they have a good amount of talent back - the Jackets will need to pull a couple of upsets to have a winning record this year as their schedule is hard - facing Georgia and ND out of conference and play most of the ACCs best teams. But the GT offense should be strong - they return QB Haynes King, a 1,000 yard rusher at RB, 3 of their top 4 receivers and 4 starters on the O-Line, and they averaged 31 points a game last year and could be even better this year. Their D isn’t as experienced and they’ll need some guys to emerge on the front 7.
As for the Noles, they lost a lot of stellar guys from last years team but reloaded in the portal. But I’ve never been impressed by DJ Uiagalelei and he’ll have to have by far his best year yet if the Noles are going to win the ACC again. And they lost their leading rusher and top 3 receivers as well. So their O is kind of a question mark, although they did bring in guys in the portal who are talented. Their D should be very good, they are deep and talented, probably the ACC’s best D.
So while the Noles are more talented, I give the Jackets a shot at upsetting them, it will be interesting to see how the Noles offense clicks with a bunch of new guys. Can’t wait to watch it!!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State stunned by Georgia Tech

When Sheamus from the WWE outfoxes you on game predictions, you know you're off to a bad start. Well, at least Georgia Tech is happy about this result.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1- The early games

This week, the CFB season starts in earnest... at least for some of us. There is a abnormal amount of FBS vs. FCS games taking place this week, so finding a strong game to watch COULD be hard.

For the early part of Week 1, here are the games to (at least) pay attention to (All times are Eastern):

North Dakota State @ Colorado [8:00, ESPN] (Let's be honest: This game is all about Colorado. Let's see how much better the Buffalo defense can play against a team that's always a tough out... either at the FCS OR FBS level.)

North Carolina @ Minnesota [8:00, FOX] (By default, this is the biggest game in the early window of Week 1. It's the Tar Heels, starting life without Drake Maye as they travel to Minnesota. And let's just see what Minnesota's new QB Max Brosmer has for us.)

Coastal Carolina @ Jacksonville State [8:00, CBS Sports Network] (So in the new 12-team playoff, the 5 highest-ranked conference champions get automatic berths. That means that teams like Coastal Carolina and Jacksonville State can now chase the dream of shocking the nation and winning it all! ...But first things first. Let's see who wins in this battle of teams that won bowls last year.)

Florida Atlantic @ Michigan State [7:00 tomorrow, Big 10 Network] (This is Jonathan Smith's first game coaching Michigan State, as he leads the Spartans into battle with a Florida Atlantic team that wants to return to the postseason in 2024.)

TCU @ Stanford [10:30 tomorrow, ESPN] (This is just two "Power 4" opponents going at each other, with both of them wanting bounce-back seasons of their own.)

My first prediction segment of the season is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 predictions (Part 1- Today and tomorrow)

Time for a small sprinkling of picks, as I handle the early games of Week 1 (FBS vs. FCS games don't count):

Temple 13 @ (16)Oklahoma 44
North Carolina 28
@ Minnesota 21
Coastal Carolina 23 @ Jacksonville State 30
Florida Atlantic 17 @ Michigan State 31
Western Michigan 10 @ Wisconsin 37
TCU 40
@ Stanford 34

Coming up tomorrow, I look at the rest of Week 1's offerings!

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina/Minnesota is a very interesting game - the Tar Heels may be better than expected, they have a strong RB in Omarion Hampton, an experienced receiving unit and a decent D - if they get solid QB play they could be a threat in the ACC. They’ve fallen apart at the end of the last 2 seasons but they have talent. Minnesota is always competitive and their new transfer QB should give them a better passing attack, they do look rather thin at receiver. Could see this one going either way.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we’ll have a shootout in Boulder tonight - both of these D’s look like garbage. I wouldn’t mind seeing NDST pull off the upset - I get somewhat sick of the hype surrounding “Coach Prime” and the Buffs, given that they haven’t done anything.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Deion just went for it on 4th down on his own 35 - that’s how much the Buffs D sucks. Got stuffed too.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max Johnson for UNC is dismal - he wasn’t good at LSU or A&M either, and he still sucks. Going from Sam Howell and Drake Maye to this guy is a huge dropoff for the Heels. 14-7 Gophers at the half.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a grab by Travis Hunter for the TD there, amazing catch.

TheGoodMan19

Dealing with pronoun troubles
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Colorado is a threat but Prime's son is the real deal. Yeah, you might scoff at North Dakota State but they are elite in D2 or whatever they call it now, Alabama's accomplishments pale in comparison

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max Johnson for UNC is dismal - he wasn’t good at LSU or A&M either, and he still sucks. Going from Sam Howell and Drake Maye to this guy is a huge dropoff for the Heels. 14-7 Gophers at the half.
Might not have to worry about him anymore. That looked bad

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might not have to worry about him anymore. That looked bad
Yeah that injury looked rough.
I don't think Colorado is a threat but Prime's son is the real deal. Yeah, you might scoff at North Dakota State but they are elite in D2 or whatever they call it now, Alabama's accomplishments pale in comparison
Colorado is not a threat to win the Big 12 or be in the playoff race but I think they can finish above 500 this year and make a bowl.

TheGoodMan19

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that injury looked rough.

Colorado is not a threat to win the Big 12 or be in the playoff race but I think they can finish above 500 this year and make a bowl.
I drank the Prime Time Kool Aid last year and it tasted bitter. Colorado's last three games are against ranked teams, Utah, Kansas and Okie State