• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look into the new normal (2024 CFB Regular Season thread)

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC survives as the Gophers miss a last second FG. Rough loss for the Gophers.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1- Top 10 Games (Labor Day Weekend)

I was gonna mention some of yesterday's games when I came onto the site today... but it looks like you good people are already on top of it! Thanks for posting on this thread; if you guys wanna use it all year, I'll have absolutely no problems with it.

Now let's see what games could be worth it for this Labor Day Weekend. Yep, it's time for...

The Top 10 Games of College Football 2024 (Week 1- The Weekend)
(All times are Eastern, and all games on Saturday unless noted)
10. UNLV @ Houston [7:00, FOX Sports 1] (This one just looks like a fun contest to me. Houston is looking for a good win to start 2024 off right. As for UNLV, they may be missing Jayden Maiava at QB, but they're loaded everywhere else. Can the Rebels pull the upset?)

9. Miami-Ohio @ Northwestern [3:30, Big 10 Network] (Coach David Braun was brilliant for Northwestern in 2023, but now let's see if he can do it again in 2024. And the Wildcats should get a good test here; Miami-Ohio is the reigning MAC champions, and Brett Gabbert is still their QB.)

8. Virginia Tech @ Vanderbilt [12:00, ESPN] (This is the first time we'll get to see Vanderbilt's new wacky offense. How well will it run against a "Power 4" defense, and will Vandy's new QB Diego Pavia lift up the team? As for Virginia Tech, they're just looking for a good road win to continue their climb upwards.)

7. Fresno State @ Michigan [7:30, NBC] (So here we are. This is Michigan's 1st game with Sherrone Moore as their coach, and it's their championship coronation as well. But wait a second! Fresno State DOES have a capable team, and QB Mikey Keene is nothing to sneeze at. How well Michigan's offense runs will determine if this game becomes a doozy or not.)

6. Boston College @ Florida State [7:30 Monday, ESPN] (Give credit to the ABC family of networks: They manage to get 5 of the top 6 games of this week on their various stations. And this one will finish off the whole party; it's a Monday night ACC conference game!
To me, all of the setup for this game came from Saturday's debacle in Ireland. Was that just good Georgia Tech, or is Florida State about to fall into a 0-2 hole?)

5. USC vs. LSU {From Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas} [7:30 Sunday, ABC] (Both teams have defenses that has something to prove. Both teams are replacing generational QB's. And USC's coach Lincoln Riley will be desperate to get the big win... but WILL he?)

4. Notre Dame @ Texas A&M [7:30, ABC] (Look. We know about the pressure that Notre Dame and their head coach is under. So let's focus on Texas A&M; this is their first game with Mike Elko as their head coach. But nobody really knows what the Aggies will do in this contest; can the Irish handle it?)

3. Miami @ Florida [3:30, ABC] (It's the "Battle for the Seminole War Canoe" game! It'll be Cam Ward making his debut for Miami, taking on Graham Mertz and the Gators. And we got two coaches that... well, let's just say that they're under an EXTREME amount of pressure this season.)

2. Penn State @ West Virginia [12:00, FOX] (At least FOX was able to hang on to this game for their fancy "Big Noon Saturday" event. Penn State and West Virginia know each other quite well, and I guarantee you guys that this won't be a Penn State walkover. The Mountaineers will keep the game close, but do they have the talent to finish off the Nittany Lions? Drew Aller and the Lions will give us the answer.)

1. Georgia vs. Clemson {from Atlanta} [12:00, ABC] (In terms of rankings and prestige, this is the big game of Week 1. And we know what to expect from the Bulldogs [especially since they'll be close to home], but what about the Tigers? Can they pull off the stunner and return to the nation's elite?)

Game with the best chance to be a bust: Akron @ Ohio State (This game may be on CBS, but it's Ohio State taking on a in-state foe... that they never lose to. Just don't bother.)
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: South Dakota State @ Oklahoma State, Western Kentucky @ Alabama, and Georgia State @ Georgia Tech.

My prediction segment is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 1 Predictions (Part 2- Labor Day Weekend)

Now on to the first big wave of predictions for the season. Here's how I see the weekend shaping up (FBS vs. FCS games don't count):

Top 25:
(14)Clemson 27 @ (1)Georgia 41
Akron 7 @ (2)Ohio State 56
Colorado State 17 @ (4)Texas 45
Western Kentucky 10 @ (5)Alabama 56
(7)Notre Dame 28
@ (20)Texas A&M 27
(8)Penn State 35 @ West Virginia 28
Fresno State 14 @ (9)Michigan 28
Boston College 21 @ (10)Florida State 28
(13)LSU 37
vs. (25)USC 31
(17)Miami 24 @ Florida 31
New Mexico 13 @ (23)Arizona 41

Other big games:
Virginia Tech 24
@ Vanderbilt 17
Miami-Ohio 20 @ Northwestern 23
UNLV 30
@ Houston 27

...and I'm done! The thread is yours, and I'll check back later.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that the game is a mismatch, but my god Temple’s offense is horrid. And Jackson Arnold for Oklahoma looks impressive so far, 3 TD passes.