• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A look Ahead to the 2023 Draft Prospects

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today I take my first look at the 2023 NHL Draft class, with the caveat that I expect a lot will change between now and draft day 2023. This is meant to just look at what I consider early on to be the top tier of talent, and that list will grow as the season progresses and I become more familiar with the age group.

The 2023 class is headlined by two potential NHL stars in Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov. It looks like a forward-heavy draft early on, although I suspect that as the season goes on, defensemen that I’m overlooking today will emerge.

1. Connor Bedard, C, Regina (WHL)

Bedard is the type of prospect you dream of being around when picking No. 1. He’s a game-breaker. Bedard has fantastic individual skill while also being exceptionally smart with the puck. He creates chances out of nothing for his teammates and shows elite ability to manipulate defenses. His shot is also truly elite and he’s a threat to score from anywhere in the offensive zone. Bedard lacks ideal NHL size, but he competes well and is a very good skater. He’s more quick than fast, but he can pull away from checks. He should tear up the WHL next season and be in the NHL shortly after scoring in bunches.

2. Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA (KHL)

Michkov, like Bedard, is a game-breaker. His combination of puck skills, hockey sense and scoring ability is truly elite. He can make offense out of nothing and is lethal inside the offensive zone. Michkov isn’t the biggest or fastest, but due to his hockey sense he’s so difficult to check because he’s always three steps ahead of the defense. Michkov is right there with Bedard in terms of pure ability and is a legit contender for the No. 1 overall spot despite his complicated situation in the KHL, where he is signed through the 2025-26 season.

3. Adam Fantilli, C, Chicago (USHL)

Fantilli is what you envision when you are trying to build a prototypical top NHL prospect. He is a tall, fast, highly skilled centerman. He can make difficult plays with the puck both as a handler and a passer. He can create for his teammates and can finish plays from range. He’s got the flashy skill but also competes hard and isn’t afraid to lean into opponents with his big frame. He may not have the same level of skill and sense as guys like Bedard and Michkov but this is still a player you think is going to score a large amount as a pro. He will play his draft season at the University of Michigan.

4. Zach Benson, LW, Winnipeg (WHL)

Benson had a fantastic season, scoring over a point per game and being a leading player on a top WHL team, and he was one of the leading scorers in the WHL playoffs. With the puck on his stick he’s dynamic. His skill and hockey sense are elite, making all kinds of plays in the WHL as a 16-year-old and showing he’s a threat on the power play to pick defenses apart. The pure athleticism doesn’t pop as much given he lacks size and he’s a fine but not amazing skater. He’s elusive enough with his skating and he competes hard enough that I think he can overcome those issues and make the most of his fantastic puck game.

5. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK (Sweden Jr.)

Dvorsky was very good versus his age group and juniors last season and got significant time versus pros in the Allsvenskan as a 16-year-old. Dvorsky is a standout with the puck, showing high-end puck skills as a handler. He has great patience and poise as a passer and can pick apart defenses. He also has a strong shot and can beat goalies from range. Dvorsky isn’t the best skater and can’t beat defenders wide, but his puck game is so good, and he competes well enough to play the middle as a pro, that I think he has a very bright future ahead.

6. Kasper Halttunen, RW, Jokerit (Finland Jr.)

Halttunen is a highly intriguing forward. He’s a big, bulky winger with a high skill level and a knack for scoring goals. His one-timer and shot overall are weapons from range and he can be the trigger guy on a power play. Halttunen can also use his frame to get inside and has some push back in his game. His only downside is a lack of true separation in his skating but everything else about his toolkit says top-six NHL forward.

7. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon (WHL)

Danielson was an all-situations center for Brandon last season, scoring over a point per game while also being a reliable two-way center. He has great stick skills, showing he can beat defenders one-on-one often. He can shoot the puck well enough, but he excels as a playmaker and at creating chances for his teammates. His skating is just OK, but he competes hard and shows he can win battles and beat defenders with either skill or power. Early on in the process I see a lot of similarities between him and New Jersey’s Dawson Mercer.

8. Charlie Stramel, C, USNTDP (USHL)

Stramel is a prototypical top center prospect who is easy to like. He’s a tall right shot who skates well and has very good offensive skills. I wasn’t always sold on his playmaking but I saw more of that as the season progressed. Stramel isn’t just skill though as he uses his big body often. He plays around the net with frequency and doesn’t shy from leaning into opponents and landing big hits. Coaches will love him and he’ll score enough to play high in a lineup. He’ll be playing his draft season at the University of Wisconsin.

9. Cam Allen, RHD, Guelph (OHL)

Allen had a highly productive first OHL season, scoring 13 goals and just under 40 points. He makes a lot happen with the puck on his stick. His playmaking and shot are both high-end. Allen hits a lot of seam passes and is creative from the point. He can beat goalies clean from the blue line with his slap shot and overall will be a presence on the power play. His skating is good. The skating and size doesn’t jump out at you, but they’ll be good enough as a pro to go with the great offense and solid compete.

10. Matthew Wood, RW, Victoria (BCHL)

Wood led the BCHL in goals and points despite only being 16 years old. With the puck on his stick he’s a dynamo. He has great stick skills and vision, and he projects to be a big part of an NHL power play. He’s not an overly physical player, but Wood is 6-foot-3 and can play inside when he needs to. The big issue in his game is his skating: While he’s not slow, he lacks much explosiveness in his stride. He’s committed to play college at UConn and I’ve heard he may start there in his draft season.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11. Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Yager had a great season, scoring 34 goals in the WHL and playing a big role for Moose Jaw — often playing 20 minutes a night as a 16-year-old. Yager plays the game like a pro with high pace and compete in his shifts. He has the flashy skill and playmaking, but he has a direct style to his game that will translate to higher levels. Yager’s shot is also a weapon and he will be a goal-scorer versus better goalies. And before you use the “Yager bomb” line, I can assure you that joke has already gotten old. He’s not the biggest but projects to be an NHL center.

12. Mikhail Gulyayev, LHD, Avangard (MHL)

Gulyayev isn’t the biggest defenseman at around 5-foot-11 but he’s still rated this high because he’s fantastic with the puck on his stick. Gulyayev has great stick skills and even better hockey sense. He picks apart defenses routinely in the offensive zone with his playmaking, showing great poise and creativity as a passer. Gulyayev is a strong skater too who can make highly skilled plays with pace. He defends well enough due to his feet and a strong compete level, but with his size he’ll always be an offense-tilted guy as a pro.

13. Colby Barlow, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)

Barlow scored a lot of goals this season —with 30 in the regular season — and then potted five more in seven playoff games. He’s got great stick skills and offensive IQ, and not surprisingly he has a great shot. Barlow can score from the perimeter but can also get to the inside to create offense and finish. His skating isn’t the best, but given he has decent size and the rest of the skill set impresses I think this is a guy who can score a lot as an NHL player.

14. Eduard Sale, LW, Brno (Czech Jr.)

Sale is an easy player to like. He’s a good sized winger who skates and handles the puck like an NHLer. He makes a ton of plays with the puck, often picking apart defenses inside the offensive zone due to his vision, and he can make plays with pace too. He scored 9 points in 6 games at the U18s looking like one of the top players at the tournament despite being a U17 player. He also played versus men and didn’t look out of place.

15. Leo Carlsson, LW, Orebro (SHL)

Carlsson was highly productive versus juniors in Sweden and ended up getting a lot of time versus men in the SHL, playing 35 games and scoring 9 points. Carlsson has excellent stick skills, showing he could beat pro defenders one-on-one even at such at a young age. He’s smart and can make plays with his flashy skills, but it’s how he creates offense in the hard areas and competes around the net that will make him such a desirable prospect. Carlsson’s only real flaw is his skating as he’s got a so-so stride that lacks power. He can play center or wing but mostly played wing last season.

16. Calum Ritchie, C, Oshawa (OHL)

Ritchie got off to a scorching start to the season, being among the leading scorers in the OHL for a decent stretch, and if I had done a 2023 board in November he would have been top five. He slowed down considerably in the second half but remains a highly enticing prospect. The tools jump out to you. He’s a 6-1 center who can skate and is extremely skilled. Ritchie can pull you off your seat with some of the rushes and one-on-one plays he can make. His consistency could be a little better, but the upside and the scoring ability will make him a high pick.

17. Will Smith, C, USNTDP (USHL)

Will Smith is a very talented player, and the top player from the USA Hockey National Team Development Program 2005 group. His skill level is quite high, showing a great ability to beat defenders one-on-one and make difficult plays with the puck. Smith can make and finish plays, showing the ability to run a power play flank. He’s not that big, and he skates well, but he isn’t a blazer. Smith does compete hard enough and doesn’t shy from getting to the net to create offense.

18. Daniil But, LW, Yaroslavl (MHL)

But had an excellent season in Russia’s junior league, scoring nearly a point per game and contributing a lot to a top team’s success. He’s a large winger at 6-foot-4 with excellent stick skills and playmaking ability. But he also has a strong shot and can finish from the dots. His skating is a notable concern for the NHL as he has a heavy stride, but he plays hard enough with his size that I’m not overly concerned about his pace. Also, given he’s a goal-scorer with that last name, he’d be a great fit in Montreal.

19. Riley Heidt, C, Prince George (WHL)

Heidt had a big first full WHL season, scoring 58 points in 65 games. His stick skills and vision are excellent. He makes a ton of plays inside the offensive zone and projects to be able to play a flank on a pro power play. His skating is fine, but he’s not that fast, especially given his 5-foot-10 frame. Given how good his puck game is and that he competes well enough I think he can still make it.

20. Ryan Leonard, RW, USNTDP (USHL)

Leonard is an easy player to like. He plays the game with a ton of energy and pace. He’s a strong skater who can turn around defensemen due to his speed to go along with very good one-on-one skills. Leonard is a goal-scorer who has a solid shot and creates a lot of chances around the net due to his compete level. He’s not the most cerebral playmaker you’ll ever see, but he will create offense.

21. Oliver Moore, C, USNTDP (USHL)

Moore was a go-to player for his NTDP age group and scored at a high clip. He’s a strong skater who can make difficult plays with the puck at a quick pace. Moore can play a flashy game due to his skill, but he also shows he can create in the interior parts of the offensive zone despite his frame.

22. Gavin Brindley, C, Tri-City (USHL)

Brindley isn’t the tallest forward you’ll ever see, but everything else about his game is very good. He’s been an impressive junior player, being a top player for a top USHL team. His skating is high-end, and he’ll be able to turn around NHL defensemen. His skill isn’t all-world, but he can make plays and beat opponents with his hands with pace. Brindley competes well and showed he could PK in junior. Realistically he’s a winger in the NHL.

23. Gabriel Perreault, LW, USNTDP (USHL)

Perreault was the top scorer on the U17 team for the NTDP team. He’s not the biggest or fastest forward, but he’s a highly skilled winger with great offensive IQ. He can make a lot of crafty plays in small areas. He lacks ideal size, but he doesn’t play scared, and Perreault can create in the hard areas of the ice. You’d like to see more speed but he’s elusive with his edges and with his skill he can make checks miss.