• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I could see him leaving out is that he asked for a healthy raise.

The rest makes perfect sense to me.

Moving from catcher to first would kill his value as a FA after next year. (It won't be that great anyway as he'll be heading into age 32 season. But there are Atleast 40 guys who are as goodve an option offensively at first. Prolly more.)

Explain to me why you think it's fathomable that the Indians would want him at first or DH.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain to me why you think it's fathomable that the Indians would want him at first or DH.
Because you have a younger, more expensive catcher already.

(He said NEXT year.)

And Napoli is a FA at the end of the year.

Only other option is Lucroy gets traded again in the offseason. (I have no idea if waiving the no trade once waives it altogether. But I'm assuming it does.). Or Gomes I guess. But his value will be lower than it should be after missing most a season a kinda sucking for awhile before that. Hard to see him bringing good value in a trade during the offseason.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I could see him leaving out is that he asked for a healthy raise.

The rest makes perfect sense to me.

Moving from catcher to first would kill his value as a FA after next year. (It won't be that great anyway as he'll be heading into age 32 season. But there are Atleast 40 guys who are as goodve an option offensively at first. Prolly more.)

I also think the possibility of him asking for a healthy raise could have been a part of it, but given the package the Indians offered, the agent should have known that wasn't going to happen, and the fact that he wound up with Texas would put that scenario into my options 1 or 3.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think the possibility of him asking for a healthy raise could have been a part of it, but given the package the Indians offered, the agent should have known that wasn't going to happen, and the fact that he wound up with Texas would put that scenario into my options 1 or 3.

So, because the Indians have a younger, more expensive, and significantly shittier option at C, they're going to move Lucroy? Not reasonable. That falls to my option3.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, because the Indians have a younger, more expensive, and significantly shittier option at C, they're going to move Lucroy? Not reasonable. That falls to my option3.
Gomes would be a helluvan Expensive backup catcher.

Lucroy might have just wanted to go to Texas. And he knew they'd make a move. I could see that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lucroy has been a bit overrated personally.

He's not changing the makeup of a lineup or anything. Just a nice hitting catcher, which isn't saying much. 30 with a career high of 18 homers. Big Woop.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Back to . It looks like
Verlander. Showing up when it counts

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomes would be a helluvan Expensive backup catcher.

Lucroy might have just wanted to go to Texas. And he knew they'd make a move. I could see that.

2017 Salary

Gomes: $4.5MM
Lucroy: $5.25MM

I'll buy the thought that he didn't want to play in Cleveland. I'll not buy the thought that he'd have lost playing time to Gomes had the Indians not traded him in the offseason.

Lucroy is, at least, a top 5 catcher. Over the last two seasons, Gomes has been the least valuable catcher in baseball. If Lucroy was sincerely concerned about losing playing time to Gomes, he has the HEART of a loser, just like Doug.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lucroy has been a bit overrated personally.

He's not changing the makeup of a lineup or anything. Just a nice hitting catcher, which isn't saying much. 30 with a career high of 18 homers. Big Woop.

Over the last three seasons, he's got an OPS+ of 118. His work behind the plate is considered above average.

I'm not trying to make him out to be Barry Bonds, but you're selling him short.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this, given the prospects the Indians were going to part with, and the way their starting pitching is spitting the bit, I'm thinking it might be a blessing in disguise that Lucroy vetoed the trade.

If the pitching continues to suck like this, Lucroy would make no difference.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll buy the thought that he didn't want to play in Cleveland. I'll not buy the thought that he'd have lost playing time to Gomes had the Indians not traded him in the offseason.

They interviewed Lucroy today and asked him about it. He asked the Indians GM if he would be the everyday catcher next year, as they have Gomes and the Indians GM told him he'd DH, play 1B and Catcher. That is why he chose not to go to Cleveland. Said it had nothing to do with the team, fans, city, etc. -- Said he was a catcher since he was 12 years old and that is what he wants to play and that is where his value is. Didn't want to play a contract year bouncing from DH, to 1B, to Catcher.

He commended the Indians GM for being truthful with him, as he said, he could have easily said, absolutely you will be the catcher and then went back on his word.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees spanking some Indian ass right now

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last three seasons, he's got an OPS+ of 118. His work behind the plate is considered above average.

I'm not trying to make him out to be Barry Bonds, but you're selling him short.
Not really. He's a nice hitter, for a catcher.

He'd hit 8th for Detroit most likely. (Of course Tyler Collins is hitting second tonight though.)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catcher's not exactly an offensive position. Lucroy's 120 wRC+ since 2012 ranks 4th among catchers behind only Posey (though there's a large gap between the two, but Posey will most likely go down as one of the greatest offensive catchers of all-time), though Jaso/Santana have spent a good chunk of time at other positions.

He's batted .293/.353/.460 over that span. He's easily been a top 5 catcher over the last few years IMO (probably top 3).

the "nice hitter for a catcher" line is pretty silly. that's like saying Jeter was a nice hitter for a shortstop.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They interviewed Lucroy today and asked him about it. He asked the Indians GM if he would be the everyday catcher next year, as they have Gomes and the Indians GM told him he'd DH, play 1B and Catcher. That is why he chose not to go to Cleveland. Said it had nothing to do with the team, fans, city, etc. -- Said he was a catcher since he was 12 years old and that is what he wants to play and that is where his value is. Didn't want to play a contract year bouncing from DH, to 1B, to Catcher.

He commended the Indians GM for being truthful with him, as he said, he could have easily said, absolutely you will be the catcher and then went back on his word.

I read that Lucroy asked for a guarantee that he'd be the starting catcher and the Indians wouldn't give that.

That sounds infinitely more believable than the Indians intending to keep Lucroy and playing Gomes over him. Gomes bat is great at C. At 1st or DH? Not as great.

Believe what you want.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this, given the prospects the Indians were going to part with, and the way their starting pitching is spitting the bit, I'm thinking it might be a blessing in disguise that Lucroy vetoed the trade.

If the pitching continues to suck like this, Lucroy would make no difference.
It's definitely a good thing for you guys that he vetoed.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morimando....Yankees tore hI'm a new one

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Lucroy asked for a guarantee that he'd be the starting catcher and the Indians wouldn't give that.

i can't blame him for that -- it is his contract year. his road to a big contract is behind the plate. i applaud the honesty of the Indians GM. i would have just told him what he wanted to hear and then told him to grab ankles next year.