• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few Yinzer moms not happy with Crosby

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Crosby walked into a Pittsburgh-area DMV and wasn't there for long.

It's a newsflash for most.

But other patrons like Susan Campbell, 46, were made to wait Friday at the same location in the suburb of McCandless.

Crosby, there to renew his driver's license, became the beneficiary of a Pennsylvania DMV policy in which celebrities can be ushered to the front of the line if supervisors determine it would help in "keeping control and keeping disruptions to a minimum," a spokeswoman for the motor vehicles department told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

While some would otherwise celebrate it, Crosby's presence quickly became a matter for debate.

"I disapprove," said Campbell to the Post-Gazette after waiting in line twice during an hour-and-half visit. "He should have to sit and wait with everyone else."

Campbell's 22-year-old daughter, Stephanie, acknowledged her reaction to Crosby's arrival was just what the DMV's policy makers had in mind.

"If I knew he was going to be there, I'd be down there in five seconds," Stephanie Campbell told the newspaper.

Friday was a special day for Jacob Davis, 16. He successfully passed his driving test to earn his license. But he was less than impressed by Crosby.

"He's another person like everyone else," Jacob said.

Sherry Davis echoed her son's sentiments.

"He probably should have waited," she said.

According to the Post-Gazette's report, celebrities are free to have their agents book an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV ahead of time; a local office manager will then promptly assist them.

Safe to say, it's an option Crosby could consider.

"I think, with his popularity, he's going to get inundated and it's going to be totally disruptive if he's not taken," said Paula Miles, 52. "I'd rather have that than have a mob scene."

Chaos averted as Sidney Crosby of Pittsburgh Penguins expedited at DMV - ESPN

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they have unmanned, automatic BMV kiosks in PA for such routine matters?

"According to the Post-Gazette's report, celebrities are free to have their agents book an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV ahead of time; a local office manager will then promptly assist them."

Not that it would likely come up in Crosby's case, but just who gets to decide if a person is 'celebrity' enough to merit this type of preferential treatment? :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Post-Gazette's report, celebrities are free to have their agents book an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV ahead of time; a local office manager will then promptly assist them.

First of all, it really has to suck to be *that* famous. No freedom to just go and do things. But, ff your presence is going to be disruptive, there are ways to keep it from getting out of hand.

Not that it would likely come up in Crosby's case, but just who gets to decide if a person is 'celebrity' enough to merit this type of preferential treatment? :noidea:

"I am HUGE in Belgium."

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they have unmanned, automatic BMV kiosks in PA for such routine
matters?
Not that PA doesn't, but I've never heard of such a thing until you mentioned it. Tried to find the amount of States that offer it but could not.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You suffer with narcolepsy and have a penchant for buggery?

:D

Forgot about that one.

Was going here (Singles):
Club Interviewer: Talking here with Cliff Poncier. Cliff, any comments on the "Seattle Sound" and Citizen Dick's place in it?
Cliff Poncier: Well, I don't like to reduce us to just being part of the "Seattle Sound." I'd like to think of us as expanding more. Like, we're huge in Europe right now. I mean, we've got records... uh, a big record just broke in Belgium.
Club Interviewer: Now, a song like "Touch Me, I'm Dick" is about... what?
Cliff Poncier: Well, I think "Touch Me, I'm Dick," in essence, speaks for itself, you know. I think that, you know, that's basically what the song is, um... about... is about, you know... I-I think a lot of people might think it's actually about, you know,"My name is Dick, and, you know, you can touch me," but, I think, you know, it can be seen either way.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only clear solution here is to suspend Crosby for the 2013-2014 season.

;)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid's birthday was days previous, probably needed to renew his license...for which you can go online ahead of time to get a camera card and essentially skip ahead in line.

Journalism is shite these days.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could use the celebrity status clause to skip ahead at the DMV, I would do it. If I needed that clause in order to reduce the likelihood that I get mobbed by fans, I would be even more inclined to use it.

He's not just another guy. He's another guy everyone recognizes. It changes the circumstances under which he goes out in public.

Yinzers... :L

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These moms & their spoiled kids are just mad Sid doesn't have time to sign them autographs. Such a reaction is exactly why people like Sid shouldn't have to wait in line like everyone else. Too many jealous haters out there. Sid doesn't have time to deal with that sort of stuff. He has places to be, people to see.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't think they're haters, I do agree with the policy. Yea, he should have to wait...but once word gets out that he's there then in turns in to a mob scene and no body wants that.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't think they're haters, I do agree with the policy. Yea, he should have to wait...but once word gets out that he's there then in turns in to a mob scene and no body wants that.

Maybe Sid should just have his own DMV.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could use the celebrity status clause to skip ahead at the DMV, I would do it. If I needed that clause in order to reduce the likelihood that I get mobbed by fans, I would be even more inclined to use it.

He's not just another guy. He's another guy everyone recognizes. It changes the circumstances under which he goes out in public.

Yinzers... :L

<Cool story bro>
In the early 90's I managed a record store in a mall near where some of the Orioles lived. One, named Cal, used to to call in his order for all the things he wanted to buy at Christmas. He apparently didn't like dispatching a lackey to buy gifts, but always had to be real aware of what his presence would do to a store. He'd show up, make his purchase and was always very apologetic of the chaos it caused. He mentioned he never gets to just "shop".

So I told him if he wants to, just give us a call and we'll let him in before the store opens with the doors locked. He can take as much time as he wants. He took us up on it twice. Just came in and took about 45 minutes browsing while I sat at the front counter and did my paperwork (I had to be there anyway). Really, really nice guy. He sent a box with a bunch of signed pictures of the team and some signed baseballs for everyone in the store. All I kept was one ball and his thank you note.

</cool story bro>

Bottom line, they aren't regular guys. No matter how bad they want to be. I actually felt kinda bad for him.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<Cool story bro>
In the early 90's I managed a record store in a mall near where some of the Orioles lived. One, named Cal, used to to call in his order for all the things he wanted to buy at Christmas. He apparently didn't like dispatching a lackey to buy gifts, but always had to be real aware of what his presence would do to a store. He'd show up, make his purchase and was always very apologetic of the chaos it caused. He mentioned he never gets to just "shop".

So I told him if he wants to, just give us a call and we'll let him in before the store opens with the doors locked. He can take as much time as he wants. He took us up on it twice. Just came in and took about 45 minutes browsing while I sat at the front counter and did my paperwork (I had to be there anyway). Really, really nice guy. He sent a box with a bunch of signed pictures of the team and some signed baseballs for everyone in the store. All I kept was one ball and his thank you note.

</cool story bro>

Bottom line, they aren't regular guys. No matter how bad they want to be. I actually felt kinda bad for him.

That is a good story, 43. :pizza:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<Cool story bro>

</cool story bro>

:pizza:

But really...who is this "Cal" who played for these "Orioles" you speak of? :noidea:

Even in towns where the fans tend to give them space, they'd still be stopped for a picture a couple of times a day. I can imagine that gets annoying, and man if I were having a bad day, I'd probably snap at someone eventually...in that case they ARE just like the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, this is really about jealousy & self entitlement. Really says more about our society than it does about Sid.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, this is really about jealousy & self entitlement. Really says more about our society than it does about Sid.

Self-entitlement? How's that? Seems like it is more about the entitlement of others. I understand the PA policy for not causing a scene, but I also understand people frustrated that those who already have pretty spectacular lives don't have to wait around for an hour like the rest of us.

Either way - not Crosby's fault. Just sayin'.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self-entitlement? How's that? Seems like it is more about the entitlement of others. I understand the PA policy for not causing a scene, but I also understand people frustrated that those who already have pretty spectacular lives don't have to wait around for an hour like the rest of us.

Either way - not Crosby's fault. Just sayin'.

Not directly. But someone should have told him about the "Call ahead - get handled out of sight" thing.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't realize you needed a license to dive in PA, but it certainly makes sense that Crosby has one!

:whistle: