• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A 10 Year ReDraft For M's

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know hind site in baseball is easy, but what I like about this particular article is some little tidbits throughout on Mariners thinking at the time. Enjoy because this might be baseballs 2020 highlight...lol.

Re-Drafting for the Seattle Mariners: 2005-2015

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound: Interesting but not surprising. Just reinforces and justifies many fan's increasing frustration over all those years. At the least, Covid-19 has given fans a "break" from watching Servais's OTJ training and ownership's attempts to rip off and placate the fans who kept putting the bucks in owner's pockets. Do I sound a little bitter? :noidea: Cheers...:suds: Go M's.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rendon and Tulo are the ones that absolutely burn. I mean sure we can say stuff like you shoulda taken Trout over Ackley (duh) but that one and others werent as obvious. But Rendon and Tulo were the guys to pick here and it still boggles my mind how both werent Mariners.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of stuff was also arguably a bigger issue then the actual players taken

The No. 27 Pick: Nick Franklin, SS — Lake Brantley HS (Fla.)

While Franklin wasn’t going to be a star or anything, the Mariners’ player development process failed him big time. He was a confident gamer with underrated hands and had plenty of tools to play second base.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's truly embarrassing from top to bottom.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rendon and Tulo are the ones that absolutely burn. I mean sure we can say stuff like you shoulda taken Trout over Ackley (duh) but that one and others werent as obvious. But Rendon and Tulo were the guys to pick here and it still boggles my mind how both werent Mariners.

I like the tidbit about Clement over Tulo because "The Mariners were heavily linked to Long Beach State SS Troy Tulowitzki and Virginia 3B Ryan Zimmerman — on the recommendation of former GM and then-consultant Pat Gillick — but catching coordinator Roger Hansen signed off on Clement’s hands and feet and the Mariners went the way of the bat-first catcher."

So the catching coordinator overruled a former World Series GM...lol. Only in Marinerville.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another great tidbit:

I was told by multiple sides the Mariners wanted to take Anthony Rendon but couldn’t risk the medicals, and they weren’t the only club convinced that was too big a risk. in the top 5. I was also told Seattle really liked Francisco Lindor and scouting director Tom McNamara told Lindor’s agent he was their guy.

And maybe he was, up until it came time to make the pick, anyway.

Zduriencik and McNamara went to see Hultzen four Fridays in a row and he became the club’s No. 1 target.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more:

One Mariners checker at the time told me he wanted Aaron Judge, but McNamara wasn’t interested.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man when I look at our 20 year run of not making the playoffs seeing who we drafted in that time frame put everything together. To draft that many times in the top 10 and none of them were good enough to put together a solid season let alone make it to the league. Dustin Ackley was a for sure pick he reminds me of when the Seahawks drafted Aaron Curry both players were considered cant miss picks but player development was a huge issue.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man when I look at our 20 year run of not making the playoffs seeing who we drafted in that time frame put everything together. To draft that many times in the top 10 and none of them were good enough to put together a solid season let alone make it to the league. Dustin Ackley was a for sure pick he reminds me of when the Seahawks drafted Aaron Curry both players were considered cant miss picks but player development was a huge issue.

Both Curry and Ackley are good examples of how nothing was a sure thing. With Curry I am not sure if development mattered, guy got his rookie contract (which at that time was big) and just didnt seem to have any fire left after that. Ackley we will never know but I would like to think in the right organization he could have been something. Thats too bad for him i guess.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Curry and Ackley are good examples of how nothing was a sure thing. With Curry I am not sure if development mattered, guy got his rookie contract (which at that time was big) and just didnt seem to have any fire left after that.

Dead on.

Ackley we will never know but I would like to think in the right organization he could have been something. Thats too bad for him i guess.

I would love to have a sit down with Seager and ask him what went wrong with Ackley since he knew him in college and in the pros.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Curry and Ackley are good examples of how nothing was a sure thing. With Curry I am not sure if development mattered, guy got his rookie contract (which at that time was big) and just didnt seem to have any fire left after that. Ackley we will never know but I would like to think in the right organization he could have been something. Thats too bad for him i guess.

Eh, the two IMO are kind of hard to compare. Curry was the winner of the underwear olympics. Ackley IMO was the perfect storm of what can bust a good player. He was a can’t miss hitting prospect in college but this is where I like HS prospects better because there is more tape of them with wooden bats. Then add on top of that they switched him to 2B. He was a god awful 2B in the minor leagues. But worked his ass off to become a solid to maybe slightly above average fielder. IMO that came at the expense of him developing as a MLB hitter. IMO his confidence was shot because he didn’t learn how to become a professional hitter because he spent so much time defensively.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, the two IMO are kind of hard to compare. Curry was the winner of the underwear olympics. Ackley IMO was the perfect storm of what can bust a good player. He was a can’t miss hitting prospect in college but this is where I like HS prospects better because there is more tape of them with wooden bats. Then add on top of that they switched him to 2B. He was a god awful 2B in the minor leagues. But worked his ass off to become a solid to maybe slightly above average fielder. IMO that came at the expense of him developing as a MLB hitter. IMO his confidence was shot because he didn’t learn how to become a professional hitter because he spent so much time defensively.

Curry never had the heart to play. Nice guy and all that, but he was missing the love for the game.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry never had the heart to play. Nice guy and all that, but he was missing the love for the game.

IMO he was a genetic freak who wowed everyone at the combine, was a decent college player but nothing special at all. Unlike Khalil Mack who played at a non football school but dominated on the field and at the combine or countless others who were great on film but weren’t workout warriors. Curry is essentially every Al Davis pick since I was a child. Just IMO I don’t think you can compare any Mariners draft pick. The closest to Curry IMO would be Hultzen because he dominated his last little stretch that McNamara got to see but even then it’s a stretch. Plus it’s really, really hard comparing Seahawks drafts to any baseball teams draft because the Seahawks I don’t think have made a pick any expert thought they were going to pick since Pete and John took over. Just my thoughts. I think the main problem with the Mariners is they haven’t had a GM since Pat Gillick who had a concrete plan and can overrule the scouts because it doesn’t matter. I don’t like Jerry as the GM whatsoever but at least he has a game plan in terms of drafting, then it is on the player development (who have sucked) to put in a plan to develop them at reasonable rates. Unlike Ackley or Zunino who were rushed way too quickly through the system to be complete players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO he was a genetic freak who wowed everyone at the combine, was a decent college player but nothing special at all. Unlike Khalil Mack who played at a non football school but dominated on the field and at the combine or countless others who were great on film but weren’t workout warriors. Curry is essentially every Al Davis pick since I was a child. Just IMO I don’t think you can compare any Mariners draft pick. The closest to Curry IMO would be Hultzen because he dominated his last little stretch that McNamara got to see but even then it’s a stretch. Plus it’s really, really hard comparing Seahawks drafts to any baseball teams draft because the Seahawks I don’t think have made a pick any expert thought they were going to pick since Pete and John took over. Just my thoughts. I think the main problem with the Mariners is they haven’t had a GM since Pat Gillick who had a concrete plan and can overrule the scouts because it doesn’t matter. I don’t like Jerry as the GM whatsoever but at least he has a game plan in terms of drafting, then it is on the player development (who have sucked) to put in a plan to develop them at reasonable rates. Unlike Ackley or Zunino who were rushed way too quickly through the system to be complete players.

Curry quote from 2017:

“One of my motivations was being able to change the financial dynamic of my family,” Curry said. “But if you have a motivation that can be gained, what do you now? My goal was to get paid, and I got paid. And me looking back on it now, I got what I wanted. Now what? I look back on it and I realize I was a victim of having a motivation that wasn’t everlasting, that wasn’t going to keep me going when things got hard. I had a goal that wasn’t fulfilling.

“I went and got exactly what I wanted, and as soon as I got it, I put it in my pocket and I was like, ‘Oh, you guys need something else?’ That’s where I lost my way. In college it was like I’m going to keep grinding ‘til I get it. And then I got it.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/14/nfl-draft-bust-aaron-curry-unc-charlotte

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry quote from 2017:

“One of my motivations was being able to change the financial dynamic of my family,” Curry said. “But if you have a motivation that can be gained, what do you now? My goal was to get paid, and I got paid. And me looking back on it now, I got what I wanted. Now what? I look back on it and I realize I was a victim of having a motivation that wasn’t everlasting, that wasn’t going to keep me going when things got hard. I had a goal that wasn’t fulfilling.

“I went and got exactly what I wanted, and as soon as I got it, I put it in my pocket and I was like, ‘Oh, you guys need something else?’ That’s where I lost my way. In college it was like I’m going to keep grinding ‘til I get it. And then I got it.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/14/nfl-draft-bust-aaron-curry-unc-charlotte

Eh, he says he had no motivation. I still say he wasn’t a NFL talent except he had a great combine. Regardless of your motivation or work ethic I think talent in the NFL always rises to the top. In baseball it is different. Motivation and work ethic can change are AAAA guy into a decent starter.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, he says he had no motivation. I still say he wasn’t a NFL talent except he had a great combine. Regardless of your motivation or work ethic I think talent in the NFL always rises to the top. In baseball it is different. Motivation and work ethic can change are AAAA guy into a decent starter.

If you truly don't love the game of football, you have no chance in the NFL. Way to physical of a game to play and succeed w/o the love of it.