• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

9 Games that will that will decide the season for the CFB Playoff

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
campusinsiders.com/news/college-football-playoff-10-games-decide-season-08-05-2016

While college Football Playoff teams will ebb and flow all season long, these 10 games will decide the sport's postseason. It’s college football, so every contest is a playoff game in its own way. That said, some are obviously much more important than others. Which 10 games are the most important in deciding who’s going to get into the fun tournament?

This goes beyond just the fun and exciting matchups like LSU vs. Wisconsin or Clemson at Auburn. First, the goal is to figure out which teams might be playing for a conference title, which ones could win a conference championship, and which games along the way could decide that in the regular season.

Obviously, all four Power 5 championship games matter the most, so they’re off the list, but to kick this off as a wacky projection, one of the key games that could decide your 2017 College Football Playoff field is …

1. Dec. 3, Mountain West championship - Boise State and San Diego State are by far the two best teams in the Mountain West this season. The Broncos get non-conference games against Washington State and Oregon State, while the Aztecs – and their wonderful defense – have to face Cal. If they win those, and they roll through the rest of their respective Mountain West slates – they’ll almost certainly be favored in every game – there’s a chance they could meet in the MWC Championship game unbeaten.
2. Nov. 12, Stanford at Oregon - There just aren’t enough truly scintillating Pac-12 matchups this year. You know, the ones that can all but guarantee the winner going 12-1 with a conference title. This isn’t one, either, with a rebuilding Stanford team almost certain to lose one game along the way – probably a lot more – but Oregon might just sneak up on everyone.
3. Nov. 17, Louisville at Houston - I’ve made the call from Day 1 this offseason that Louisville will beat Florida State at home and lose to Clemson on the way to the ACC Atlantic title. Let’s say that actually does happen, then this game at Houston on a Thursday night in mid-November could be a make-or-break moment for the College Football Playoff.
4. Oct. 1, Tennessee at Georgia -
Florida will have plenty of say in the matter, and the Bulldogs have to go to Ole Miss while the Vols have a few killers on the slate. However, if all goes according to form, this should be for the SEC East title – or at least go a long way to solving the puzzle. The loser might be out of the CFP picture, or might have a really, really tough time going 11-1. Tennessee could do it, but a loss here would mean it would have to win …
5. Nov. 26, Notre Dame at USC - I’m making the call that Texas beats Notre Dame to start the season, but let’s say that doesn’t happen.Michigan State, Stanford and Miami all have to come to South Bend, and the only two true road games – Navy and Army are being played on neutral sites – are at Syracuse and NC State. Yippee. That means, for all intents and purposes, if the Irish can hold serve at home, or beat Texas and lose to a Michigan State along the way, 10-1 is more than possible going into the rivalry showdown at USC.
6. Nov. 26, Michigan at Ohio State - I think Michigan loses at least once before this – probably at Michigan State – but it’s certainly a strong enough team to pull that off and come into Columbus with a shot at winning the East. Ohio State will go to Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State, but it’s going to be good enough to win any and all of those. In one way or another, the Michigan game will almost certainly decide the division, and likely the Big Ten title.
7. Sept. 17, Ohio State at Oklahoma - Ohio State can lose this game, run the table, and get into the College Football Playoff, but with all its tough road games to face in the Big Ten, that’s asking a whole bunch. It’s a statement moment for the Buckeyes, as well as the Big Ten – a win like this on the road gives the league a gigantic boost in terms of CFP street cred. On the other side, a home loss to Oklahoma would be a complete and utter disaster. There’s no Big 12 championship game, and there aren’t a whole lot of statement moments to be had in the conference this year – even if the league is better overall.
8. Oct. 29, Clemson at Florida State - Both teams have a slew of other tough games to deal with – Clemson faces Auburn and Georgia Tech on the road and Louisville, Pitt and South Carolina at home, and Florida State opens with Ole Miss, has to go to Louisville, and Miami, and finishes with Florida – but this is really it. The loser is all but out of the CFP chase, while the winner will have everything there for the taking. (Assuming the winner beats Louisville)
9. Nov. 5, Alabama at LSU - Alabama should beat USC to start the season, and it should revenge-up at Ole Miss and be able to get by Arkansas on the road. The Tennessee game? That’s a problem, but a loss isn’t that big a deal if the Tide beat everyone else – and that, obviously, includes LSU. The Tigers have been close, but they haven’t been able to get by Bama the last five times. There’s a trip to Florida a month before this, and going to Texas A&M to finish won’t be easy, but this is effectively it. This is as close to being a playoff game as it gets. However, don’t discount the idea that the winner goes 13-0, the loser goes 11-1, and we party like it’s 2011 and both teams are in the mix at the end.

*Some info used from "Campus Insiders"*

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the long post.. good read though :10::suds:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has to get to the OSU game undefeated first. Houston will have something to say about that. Should be a good game.

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU has to get to the OSU game undefeated first. Houston will have something to say about that. Should be a good game.
I agree, also Houston could be a legit team this season and if they beat Oklahoma for their season opener (Assuming Oklahoma is going to be good this season) That would be huge for Houston.

Rebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The love for LSU after the past few years is really hard to figure out. You don't beat Alabama trying to play their game against them.

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The love for LSU after the past few years is really hard to figure out. You don't beat Alabama trying to play their game against them.
I don't get what all the new hype for LSU is all about and why they should be in the Top-10... I don't know maybe I just don't follow the SEC as much sometimes.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon/Stanford? :L

Stopped reading right there. Fail.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:dingdingding:Exactly. Good thing ole Lester wasn't in charge of the under armed colonists in the revolutionary war. He'd of had them marching out in an open field against the Red Coats, kneeling down and aiming and getting annihalated....just like the Brits wanted and trained for. He'd be stubborn and do it that way instead of sneaking up, hiding behind trees and fighting them sumbitches in a manner they didn't like.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get what all the new hype for LSU is all about and why they should be in the Top-10... I don't know maybe I just don't follow the SEC as much sometimes.
I understand the hype. Fournette, starting qb returning (not saying I agree he is solid or productive), tons of experienced future defensive draft picks next season. I do not agree with it however. Miles continues to slam his head into the wall with the play calling (no reason Cameron should have his job, same goes for Special Teams coordinator) zero imagination. Can't hang with Arkansas much less beat them the past two years. I will likely buy into the hype accidentally after a few weeks because as a fan it is easy to do. I just can't see this team living up to the hype.

Side note: no way in hell Tennessee will be as good as they are being portrayed either. Butch Jones is like a 24 hour convenient store, he can't close.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gators play 4 of these teams. Perhaps up to 6 depending on who makes the playoffs. None of their games shape the playoff picture?

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gators play 4 of these teams. Perhaps up to 6 depending on who makes the playoffs. None of their games shape the playoff picture?
Gators who?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah why would a game between the 2 teams that have won the Pac 12 for the last 7 years have any meaning?

Mostly because Oregon is irrelevant since Chip Kelly left. Your big thing is no longer unique, you have a HC who doesn't seem to be able to get it done on his own and is unable to add anything new to your game.

Maybe this year he will prove that wrong, but that's what it looks like to most people.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly because Oregon is irrelevant since Chip Kelly left. Your big thing is no longer unique, you have a HC who doesn't seem to be able to get it done on his own and is unable to add anything new to your game.

Maybe this year he will prove that wrong, but that's what it looks like to most people.
Yeah i hate those irrelevant Pac 12 championships and Rose Bowl wins and National Championship game appearances and a 33-8 record.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i hate those irrelevant Pac 12 championships and Rose Bowl wins and National Championship game appearances and a 33-8 record.

2016 and your program seems to have peaked and started it's decline. If you don't compete at a top level this year it'll be confirmed and you'll probably be looking for a new coach. It's not about what you've done it's about direction.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Anybody thinking the Houston game will be a pushover, is sorely mistaken IMO. Think that will be a tough one for multiple reasons.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston has a really good d line. Will be a huge test to see where the sooner O is at.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep bringing in one year qb's and you reap what you sow.