• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 9/4 - The MLB Played Football Yesterday

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strasburg's ERA:

2012 - 3.16
2013 - 3.00
2014 - 3.14

That's not my definition of "wildly inconsistent." That's an ace on a lot of teams, and one hell of a #2, but he's having a career shit year. In fact, all of your "wildly inconsistent" guys are. Here are there career ERA+s through 2014 and their 2015 ERA+s:

SS - 127 - 90
DF - 120 - 88
GG - 111 - 95

When your #5 pitcher has a career ERA+ of 111, you've got one hell of a talented rotation.

There are a number of batters playing well below their career averages as well.

The A in ERA stands for "average", which fails to consider variance. For example, if a guy goes seven innings in two straight starts without giving up a run and then follows that up with a four inning stinker in which he gives up six runs, then his ERA over those three starts is three. I have seen all three of the guys I called inconsistent pitch numerous stinkers of the variety described above.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For example, if a guy goes seven innings in two straight starts without giving up a run and then follows that up with a four inning stinker in which he gives up six runs, then his ERA over those three starts is three.

Wait. What's the formula for that?

sguMG9N.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen all three of the guys I called inconsistent pitch numerous stinkers of the variety described above.

Obviously, I'm no expert, but based on these guys' career ER Averages, and your much appreciated tutorial on that metric, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these guys have had a shit ton more of these "stinkers" (is that a technical term?) this season than in seasons past.

giphy.gif

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, I'm no expert, but based on these guys' career ER Averages, and your much appreciated tutorial on that metric, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these guys have had a shit ton more of these "stinkers" (is that a technical term?) this season than in seasons past.

giphy.gif

When I call them inconsistent I mean from start to start, not from season to season. Gia, Strawman, and Sister Fister have all had the habit for the past few years of following a very good start with a stinker.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. According to MLB, "Bryce Harper becomes the first player since 1914 to go 0-0 with 4 walks, 4 runs, RBI."

I think that's incorrect. It was also done by Ricky Henderson in '89, Joe Morgan in '73 and Larry Doby in '51...
...but maybe the caveat for Harper, being the rbi?

* not sure if those 3 former players had any rbi in their games.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I call them inconsistent I mean from start to start, not from season to season. Gia, Strawman, and Sister Fister have all had the habit for the past few years of following a very good start with a stinker.

You know what? You're right.

3/5ths of the Nationals' starting pitching staff is not performing well below their career norms.

They had the best rotation in baseball last year, added Max Scherzer during the offseason and now rank 9th because they're just not very talented.

giphy.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's incorrect. It was also done by Ricky Henderson in '89, Joe Morgan in '73 and Larry Doby in '51...

Ummmm.

Seriously. What the fuck is going on around here today?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what? You're right.

3/5ths of the Nationals' starting pitching staff is not performing well below their career norms.

They had the best rotation in baseball last year, added Max Scherzer during the offseason and now rank 9th because they're just not very talented.

I never said that the three guys I called inconsistent aren't talented. LOL All three are very talented. All three have a tendency to get lit up more often than more consistent pitchers do, though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLB: Bryce Harper is the first player since 1914 to do X, Y and Z in a game.

yoga~surfing: I think you're wrong because Henderson Morgan and Doby all did X and Y in a game.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yoga~surfing: I think you're wrong because Henderson Morgan and Doby all did X and Y in a game.

like I said.....the caveat being the rbi.....so..carry on, my wayward son.

:dhd:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that the three guys I called inconsistent aren't talented. LOL

I was under the impression that when you said:

I'm not sure that the Nats are as "talented" as some think.

and then went on about their pitching staff, you were implying that maybe the pitching staff wasn't that talented.

Mea culpa.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry. I'll expand the dialog.

yoga~surfing: I think you're wrong because Henderson, Morgan, and Doby all did X and Y in a game. Of course, if when you said Harper "did X, Y and Z," you meant he actually did X, Y and Z, then you're right.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummmm.

Seriously. What the fuck is going on around here today?

Not to be a Slinky Redfoot, but The Rundown did make mention of the fact that Harper is the first player since Henderson to score four runs and be credited with an RBI without having an official AB.

Soooooo Sooooomebody don;'t know what they are talking about.
upload_2015-9-4_15-54-11.jpeg