• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Daily Thread: 9/4 - The MLB Played Football Yesterday

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that you're staying humble, Hu.

Obviously, it's not mathematically over, but the Mets have a six game lead with only 29 games to play. Anything can happen, but losing the division at this point would put them into the conversation of the worst collapses in MLB history. Then again, they're the Mets, so maybe it's not humility you're displaying.

Regardless, if I ran the Nats, Williams would be fucked. That team has WAY to much talent to not be running away with that bag-o-shit division.
Standings on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 | Baseball-Reference.com

Standings on Sunday, September 30, 2007 | Baseball-Reference.com

Wouldn't even be their biggest collapse.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be in the discussion is what I said. I also acknowledged that it's the Mets.
I was more reinforcing the second point than taking you to task for the first. It would definitely be an epic fucking meltdown.

Of course, if one has to happen this year, better the Mets than any other particular team in blue :whistle:

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Along those lines: when the hell is Matt Williams going to get yanked for shepherding a team with that much talent to a 2nd place in a historically shitty division?

I love me some Matt Williams. Loved him as a Giant. Loved him as an opposing manager because his mismanagement of his pitching staff opened the door to another Giants World Series win last season.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some Matt Williams. Loved him as a Giant. Loved him as an opposing manager because his mismanagement of his pitching staff opened the door to another Giants World Series win last season.

See, THIS is what scares me the most about the Mets' position right now. They're doing the same thing with their pitching staff that Washington did a few years ago with the innings limits en shit. I'm not always confident that Terry Collins knows what he's doing with pitchers.

With the lineup and batting order, I think he does a pretty good job and the offense has really improved thanks to their super-secret notebook dealie. But I don't trust him to make the right decisions with pitching.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more reinforcing the second point than taking you to task for the first. It would definitely be an epic fucking meltdown.

Of course, if one has to happen this year, better the Mets than any other particular team in blue :whistle:

I respectfully disagree, sir :yo:
(fuck the dodgers)

Also, 'twas a beaut! His trot around the bags is soooo cute! :love:

Ryan Vogelsong hits first career home run

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harper wasn't trying to get on base. He was pissed at Matt Williams and was taking pitches to show his manager who's boss.

Williams yanked Harper from a game the other night because he didn't hustle on a groundout.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

A) It was a looping popup to 2nd.
B) He strained his glute. They showed the conversation in the dugout when he finished that at-bat and left the game. He passes by Randy Knorr and Matt Williams and Harper instigates the conversation, nothing heated. He told them that it was grabbing. He hurt it the night before lunging for first on an infield hit.

Normally, I'm all abord the MW is a shitty manager train. In this singular case, he didn't fuck up. Still, his having pulled that shit in the past makes people reasonably believe that it is what happened.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

B) He strained his glute. They showed the conversation in the dugout when he finished that at-bat and left the game. He passes by Randy Knorr and Matt Williams and Harper instigates the conversation, nothing heated. He told them that it was grabbing. He hurt it the night before lunging for first on an infield hit.

Normally, I'm all abord the MW is a shitty manager train. In this singular case, he didn't fuck up. Still, his having pulled that shit in the past makes people reasonably believe that it is what happened.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Hu was trying to imply that Williams fucked up. I think he was trying to imply that Harper was acting like a petulant child.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got a purchase order from the Nationals. I don't do big business with MLB clubs, but I have to admit, I get a bit giddy when I get their orders.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I stand corrected.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something, something, neighborhood play, something, something, bullshit, something, something, WOO HOO COREY SEAGER!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that the Nats are as "talented" as some think. Their team ERA ranks only sixth in the NL. Sherzer is a stud and Zimmerman is good. Gia, Strawman, and Sister Fister, however, are all wildly inconsistent.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their team ERA ranks only sixth in the NL. Sherzer is a stud and Zimmerman is good. Gia, Strawman, and Sister Fister, however, are all wildly inconsistent.

Strasburg's ERA:

2012 - 3.16
2013 - 3.00
2014 - 3.14

That's not my definition of "wildly inconsistent." That's an ace on a lot of teams, and one hell of a #2, but he's having a career shit year. In fact, all of your "wildly inconsistent" guys are. Here are their career ERA+s through 2014 and their 2015 ERA+s:

SS - 127 - 90
DF - 120 - 88
GG - 111 - 95

When your #5 pitcher has a career ERA+ of 111, you've got one hell of a talented rotation.

There are a number of batters playing well below their career averages also.

Last edited: