• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/19 D-Backs@Giants

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, 4 of Leake's 7 starts have been QS. He's averaging (after today) 5.76 innings per start.

Before today, he was averaging 6.22 innings per start.

He pitched really well in the 3-4 starts before being traded, and the first start against Texas was pretty good, 6 innings and 2 runs. Then the hammy.

Last edited:

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play teh kids.

Play Mac.

Play Parker.

Play Brown.

Let's see what they can do.
I've made similar statements and the sentiment seems to be that Bochy won't do so until the team gets mathematically eliminated. I, for one, would like to see Byrd's option NOT vested because I think $8 million for a 4th/5th 38 year old outfielder is a big overpay.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just now processed that Perez is hitting above Crawford. B-Craw has not looked the same since his injury. The guy is massively struggling.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just now processed that Perez is hitting above Crawford. B-Craw has not looked the same since his injury. The guy is massively struggling.
Baseball is about timing, and he can't get his going. Every time he comes back, he goes back down for a week after a few games. Real hard to get going with that pattern.

I am not worried about Craw.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this rate, the good news is that L.A. won't clinch the division at AT&T.
This season is dead. Even if, by some miracle the Giants were to make the playoffs, they are so decimated by injuries that there is no way they could do anything.

At this point, I am good with tanking so the last week or so of the season for the dogs is meaningless and they lose their focus and momentum.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season is dead. Even if, by some miracle the Giants were to make the playoffs, they are so decimated by injuries that there is no way they could do anything.

At this point, I am good with tanking so the last week or so of the season for the dogs is meaningless and they lose their focus and momentum.
I have faith in Donnie to fuq things up for them :heh: :heh:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've made similar statements and the sentiment seems to be that Bochy won't do so until the team gets mathematically eliminated. I, for one, would like to see Byrd's option NOT vested because I think $8 million for a 4th/5th 38 year old outfielder is a big overpay.

But that would be a disasterous thing for the clubhouse. It would send a message that the FO would deliberately try to manipulate the lineups to avoid paying money. Not the Giants way.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fore arm tightness.

He just went from a 5/100 (potential) to a 2/20.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fore arm tightness.

He just went from a 5/100 (potential) to a 2/20.

Leake? (I'm assuming it is)

He wasn't likely to ever get a nine figure contract. He was 5/80 due to his age and general innings eating and effectiveness. That's not likely to change because his forearm was tight.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that would be a disasterous thing for the clubhouse. It would send a message that the FO would deliberately try to manipulate the lineups to avoid paying money. Not the Giants way.
Considering the place the team is at, they should be sitting most of the regulars at this point once or twice a week. What's the point of putting them out there? I know I'm not a player so I see things differently, but my perspective is seeing the team save money so that it could be better funneled elsewhere (i.e. a starting pitcher). To me, $8 million for a 4th/5th outfielder is too much.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake? (I'm assuming it is)

He wasn't likely to ever get a nine figure contract. He was 5/80 due to his age and general innings eating and effectiveness. That's not likely to change because his forearm was tight.
Yes, I was referring to Leake. Marty was talking about it after the game.

"forearm tightness" is the classic precursor to TJ. If he does, in fact, has forearm tightness, I am totally concerned about giving him any kind of long contract.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"forearm tightness" is the classic precursor to TJ. If he does, in fact, has forearm tightness, I am totally concerned about giving him any kind of long contract.
That's not cool for Leake. Do they shut him down as well then? I guess that means more Vogelsong or Cain in the rotation. Evans, have you seen how Parker is doing so far? How about giving Blackburn a looksy? (we all know you read this forum and base your decisions on our opinions.)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes! I hope he's okay. He's perfect for our organization.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the place the team is at, they should be sitting most of the regulars at this point once or twice a week. What's the point of putting them out there? I know I'm not a player so I see things differently, but my perspective is seeing the team save money so that it could be better funneled elsewhere (i.e. a starting pitcher). To me, $8 million for a 4th/5th outfielder is too much.

Ok, I don't necessarily disagree that $8MM is a lot for a bench OF. However, how much of an overpay? And it's a one year contract, so there's not a lot of downside risk, even if he "Huffs" on us. Say that position is worth $4MM. They'd be paying $4MM for a lot of intangibles (leadership, goodwill, message to the league that the Giants take care of their players, etc...). By all accounts he's a stand up dude, he hits for power, and plays good D. He also knows the deal about playing time. Given all that, why not bring him back at $8MM? Put another way, what would he get on the open market?

I think you let him vest.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, and if he doesn't check out with the docs, then his value plummets.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with tz here. On the open market, I think Byrd gets a 1/6. That gives us his services for only a 2M premium and as he said, it sends a LOT of messages to a LOT of different ears.