• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9/19 D-Backs@Giants

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fourth inning and still no game thread?
Pagan - cf
Tomlinson - 2b
Duffy - 3b
Posey - 1b
Byrd - rf
Perez - lf
Crawford - ss
Brown - c
Leake - p

Are the Giants that afraid of the PA that they won't rest Byrd at all?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the more I see Leake, the less I am enthralled with the idea of re-signing him. He's not eating innings like he did in Cincinnati and his ERA grows with each start. I won't be disappointed if he goes somewhere else.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, the more I see Leake, the less I am enthralled with the idea of re-signing him. He's not eating innings like he did in Cincinnati and his ERA grows with each start. I won't be disappointed if he goes somewhere else.

I am inclined to agree with you. Unless his hammy is still an issue. He has done nothing to show he should come back. And while we have been hugely disappointed, it has been a SSS.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am inclined to agree with you. Unless his hammy is still an issue. He has done nothing to show he should come back. And while we have been hugely disappointed, it has been a SSS.
Consider this, he made it to at least 7 innings in 11 of his 21 starts this year with Cincinnati. He's gotten through 7 in just one of his 7 starts with the Giants. Maybe his hammy is still bothering him but I expected a bit more from him going from a bandbox in Cincinnati to AT&T.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this, he made it to at least 7 innings in 11 of his 21 starts this year with Cincinnati. He's gotten through 7 in just one of his 7 starts with the Giants. Maybe his hammy is still bothering him but I expected a bit more from him going from a bandbox in Cincinnati to AT&T.

I think we all expected more. We don't know the whole story though. He should be a good fit here. But if not, don't overpay and don't extend for too many years, if at all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually going to start a thread about Leake.

If he dudds out, we are pretty screwed for next year. We were all pencilling him in as the 2/3, but I do not consider that a gimme anymore. In order to have the "big three" that most of us think we need for next year, that would now require that we get Price AND Greinke/Zim/Cueto(??)/etc. I am not sure that is possible. Price and Leake, while a stretch, was doable. Getting Price and someone else is hard work.

Bright side...

Leake is saving the Giants money with every start.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually going to start a thread about Leake.

If he dudds out, we are pretty screwed for next year. We were all pencilling him in as the 2/3, but I do not consider that a gimme anymore. In order to have the "big three" that most of us think we need for next year, that would now require that we get Price AND Greinke/Zim/Cueto(??)/etc. I am not sure that is possible. Price and Leake, while a stretch, was doable. Getting Price and someone else is hard work.

Bright side...

Leake is saving the Giants money with every start.
Leake's last two starts will be very telling. I wonder how serious the Giants will be in trying to re-sign him right away if he bombs out the end of the season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was going to bring this up as well. Is he worth potentially $100M that he is (maybe WAS now) likely to get? Are the Giants better invested going after a true stud like Cueto, Price, Grenkie, etc.?

I for one have wanted to see them go after one of the big names, and Leake. But maybe Leake's money is better invested elsewhere?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leake's last two starts will be very telling. I wonder how serious the Giants will be in trying to re-sign him right away if he bombs out the end of the season.

This has pretty much been Beltran 2.0. It seems like Leake just never found the comfort zone. The Giants and Leake know the situation better than all of us will, but from our perspective it doesn't seem like a match that will continue.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the same wavelengths as Leake, Cain can't get anyone out. Granted, first bullpen appearance since 2006 and has to face the top of a good D-Backs lineup, but this isn't encouraging regardless.

Peavy is looking like the best starter not named Bum, but he is limited to 3/6/80.

The Giants need to invest in the starting rotation, big. I really, really, really wished we could have seen Blackburn this month.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the same wavelengths as Leake, Cain can't get anyone out. Granted, first bullpen appearance since 2006 and has to face the top of a good D-Backs lineup, but this isn't encouraging regardless.

Peavy is looking like the best starter not named Bum, but he is limited to 3/6/80.

The Giants need to invest in the starting rotation, big. I really, really, really wished we could have seen Blackburn this month.
This is where the leanings towards giving the veterans a lot of rope can still be troublesome (although not nearly as bad as it used to be). You've got just about every starting pitcher not named Bumgarner struggling, many question marks about the 2016 rotation, questions about who's signable on the market, and a guy finishing strong at triple A. So what do you do? Commit him to fall league and not audition him in September.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this rate, the good news is that L.A. won't clinch the division at AT&T.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have 7 hits in 16 innings against the Snakes. Snakes have 16 hits just today.

Many of us knew the Giants were dead weeks ago. But they don't even seem to be able to put up much of a fight lately. Sad.

And, as per usual, no walks today. Lots of FPOM, though. I am OK with the swing at the first pitch philosophy, but when the team is really going bad offensively, perhaps a different approach would be better?