• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 9.15 Spyder @ Rocks

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a positive note...just learned the oldest living Hall of Famer is of course, Willie Mays 92 years young

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Merc

Anderson, a 35-year-old journeyman, entered Friday night with a 7.00 ERA and is on his fifth team since he posted a figure that started with a number below 6. His last start also came against the Giants, who ripped into him for six runs in a 9-1 win just six day ago.

It was a different story Friday night, as Anderson didn’t allow a hit for seven innings and was only forced from the game by his pitch count, which ran up to 101. In 14 previous starts, he had completed six innings only twice and hadn’t thrown a pitch in the seventh inning or later.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t he a rookie ?
A little backstory, msg was raving about Doval being the best closer of all time for the Giants earlier this season, back when he looked absolutely unhittable. He's not looked that way the best month. I think he is one of the better players on this team, and that is probably why the team is 75-72 right now. I think msg may ultimately be correct but Doval is still young and is making some mistakes that likely won't have in 3 years.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can be whatever you want to be, just seems awkward at the least or contradictory at the worst to be Mr. Positivity all year and then turn and be Mr. Doom and Gloom being 1 game back with 15 to play.

It's been way more nuanced than that though. I predicted 85 wins and the 3rd wild card I wasn't "Mr Positivity". After the all star break for lots of reasons their hitting became historically bad. Just the story of this year. They CAN make me eat crow but will they? Honestly? 15 games to play, half Dodgers.

Now that I look, I can maybe keep hoping until the Arizona series. Gotta win these at least 2 of the 3 remaining in Denver, and take 3 of 4 from AZ. Short of that they just won't be able to pass 3 others including the team (AZ) they just couldn't handle.
Mays-Fan was Mr. Positivity for the 1st half of the season (in a strange way) but couldn't handle our positivity not being at the same level (okay, some of us were a bit less than positive) and took a break. I for one hope he comes back.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Merc

Anderson, a 35-year-old journeyman, entered Friday night with a 7.00 ERA and is on his fifth team since he posted a figure that started with a number below 6. His last start also came against the Giants, who ripped into him for six runs in a 9-1 win just six day ago.

It was a different story Friday night, as Anderson didn’t allow a hit for seven innings and was only forced from the game by his pitch count, which ran up to 101. In 14 previous starts, he had completed six innings only twice and hadn’t thrown a pitch in the seventh inning or later.
Hey, he was pitching on his home turf and finally unlocked his potential after all these years. It happens all the time . . . right?

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little backstory, msg was raving about Doval being the best closer of all time for the Giants earlier this season, back when he looked absolutely unhittable. He's not looked that way the best month. I think he is one of the better players on this team, and that is probably why the team is 75-72 right now. I think msg may ultimately be correct but Doval is still young and is making some mistakes that likely won't have in 3 years.
I think we know how great Doval was in the first half of the season. But this was an important game plus Webb really deserved the win. To me Doval needs to to be a set up man for a few games or come in with a bigger lead instead of keep throwing him in the flames when he is struggling. I didn’t want to be right but I have been following him and seeing him fail in such games I knew what was going to happen. Now us winning every game and the dodgers losing every game has been broken. No NL West title for the Giants this year :sadbron:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we know how great Doval was in the first half of the season. But this was an important game plus Webb really deserved the win. To me Doval needs to to be a set up man for a few games or come in with a bigger lead instead of keep throwing him in the flames when he is struggling. I didn’t want to be right but I have been following him and seeing him fail in such games I knew what was going to happen. Now us winning every game and the dodgers losing every game has been broken. No NL West title for the Giants this year :sadbron:
I'm okay with leaving him at closer but, as Stokes points out, you are correct about his struggles of late. If this team was hot and everyone but Doval were doing well, I could understand removing him temporarily from the closer's role but if the team is going to let Stripling, Manaea, Conforto, Haniger, Crawford, DeJong, etc, etc, etc work through their issues while playing in their normal roles, there is no point, in my opinion, in moving Doval out. Most games are lost before he even has a chance to blow a lead. He isn't the main problem.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with leaving him at closer but, as Stokes points out, you are correct about his struggles of late. If this team was hot and everyone but Doval were doing well, I could understand removing him temporarily from the closer's role but if the team is going to let Stripling, Manaea, Conforto, Haniger, Crawford, DeJong, etc, etc, etc work through their issues while playing in their normal roles, there is no point, in my opinion, in moving Doval out. Most games are lost before he even has a chance to blow a lead. He isn't the main problem.
Not implying his is the main problem. But right now I would have more faith in Taylor Rogers closing a game like last night.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not implying his is the main problem. But right now I would have more faith in Taylor Rogers closing a game like last night.
Sure, I won't argue that. Right now, there are a lot of guys on this team that make me nervous in key situations (or in setting up key situations).

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, I won't argue that. Right now, there are a lot of guys on this team that make me nervous in key situations (or in setting up key situations).
Doval is tied for 2nd with Kyle Finnegan of the Nationals (last place team) in Blown saves in the NL, and behind the pitcher Bird from the Rockies (last place team). Doval is way better than both of course.

I just think Kap needs to really consider Taylor over Doval right now in some games. Let him get his needed confidence back so if we make it to the playoffs he can pitch like we know he can.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doval is tied for 2nd with Kyle Finnegan of the Nationals (last place team) in Blown saves in the NL, and behind the pitcher Bird from the Rockies (last place team). Doval is way better than both of course.

I just think Kap needs to really consider Taylor over Doval right now in some games. Let him get his needed confidence back so if we make it to the playoffs he can pitch like we know he can.
I am not sure where I stand as far as “benching” Doval goes, but you do bring up a good point about his confidence. His nic is “Tranquilo”, but he still loses his confidence quite often, and you can see it in his body language on the mound. Granted, it isn’t as pronounced this year as it was last year, but he is still a kid who LOOKS like still has some confidence issues.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure where I stand as far as “benching” Doval goes, but you do bring up a good point about his confidence. His nic is “Tranquilo”, but he still loses his confidence quite often, and you can see it in his body language on the mound. Granted, it isn’t as pronounced this year as it was last year, but he is still a kid who LOOKS like still has some confidence issues.
We could have, should have, would have won if only Kap had listened to me. It’s not really a benching he would still pitch but not every game that is on the line. His confidence would spring back for next year ( since we are losing today to close out our chances for this year).