• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

8-Team 2020 Playoff

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posed this in another thread, but....

So Bama is in, probably even if they lose the SEC title game. Notre Dame is interesting. What if they lose the title game to Clemson, will both get in? Will a late loss drop ND out? Ohio St will probably be in unless they lose to Northwestern. If Florida beats Bama in the CCG is that enough to get Florida and Bama in?

Any chance for Cincy? Say ND and Ohio St lose.... what then? A&M would probably make it in, but Florida will have likely lost a second game to Bama in the CCG. So you think Bama, Clemson, ND, and A&M in that scenario?

What if all hell breaks loose and Bama, ND, and Ohio St lose? Gotta think Clemson, Bama, A&M, and Florida?

Last edited:

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posed this in another thread, but....

So Bama is in, probably even if they lose the SEC title game. Notre Dame is interesting. What if they lose the title game to Clemson, will both get in? Will a late loss drop ND out? Ohio St will probably be in unless they lose to Northwestern. If Florida beats Bama in the CCG is that enough to get Florida and Bama in?

Any chance for Cincy? Say ND and Ohio St lose.... what then? A&M would probably make it in, but Florida will have likely lost a second game to Bama in the CCG. So you think Bama, Clemson, ND, and A&M in that scenario?

What if all hell breaks loose and Bama, ND, and Ohio St lose? Gotta think Clemson, Bama, A&M, and Florida?

I don't agree with all of that. It used to mean something when you lost during the season. Lose early or midway through the season and you have time to rebuild your reputation. Many have said that teams playing now are different than 2-3 months ago.

If you lose now, I think it should knock you out........ sorry. Seems the benefit of the doubt is given to some conferences, but others if you lose late, it's the death penalty......

I do think this could be the year to experiment with an 8 team playoff, justify it by saying "due to covid".......

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As this season has proved any kind of forward thinking will take at least a decade. The only possible upside to covid is that it may force schools and conferences to get creative to generate better games and more revenue.

College football used to be my favorite sport but it's ran by complete dumbasses

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with all of that. It used to mean something when you lost during the season. Lose early or midway through the season and you have time to rebuild your reputation. Many have said that teams playing now are different than 2-3 months ago.

If you lose now, I think it should knock you out........ sorry. Seems the benefit of the doubt is given to some conferences, but others if you lose late, it's the death penalty......

I do think this could be the year to experiment with an 8 team playoff, justify it by saying "due to covid".......
So then in your opinion, (hypothetically) if Bama, ND, or Ohio St lose - then Cincy should make it in? Or would you defer to A&M or Florida and not having Bama?

Or if Clemson beats ND... you would put Clemson in, right? So where does that leave ND?

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then in your opinion, (hypothetically) if Bama, ND, or Ohio St lose - then Cincy should make it in? Or would you defer to A&M or Florida and not having Bama?

Or if Clemson beats ND... you would put Clemson in, right? So where does that leave ND?

Yes.

1. bama loses....... Florida in, bama out.
2. ND loses, ....... clem in, ND out.
3. OSU loses........, they are out.
4. if clem loses, they are out, ND in.

yes, if bama, nd lose, put ATm and/or cincy in......

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now happens if Alabama loses to a 2 loss Florida. If ND loses, why is their victory over Clemson discounted?
If Clemson wins, why is their lose to ND discounted?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. My best friend is an Ohio State fan and he keeps claiming these off games hurt Ohio State and makes them "rusty". I understand his point, but since they're not missing more than one week at a time I don't think he's right and that the rest actually helps them. And I didn't even take into consideration the fact you mentioned about simply avoiding injuries as well. This could definitely come into play.

Rest helps, sure, but Ohio States defense really needed more game time reps. Badly. If they were going to have a good shot at a title this year it would have required the defense to get better and I think the best chance of that would have simply been more game reps.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

TAMU in if Bama loses? 8-1 over a 10-1 team that beat them 52-24 and beat common opponents far more handily?

The Committee will not see it that way, nor should they. It would be hard to find a metric that would support it.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

Yea
Have to rethink this a little now.
If bama loses to fla, fla isn’t in, and this loss would look much worse now if bama did lose. Enough to drop them to five? Hmmm

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would love to see nd win and knock Clem out but don’t think it’s going to happen.
if it did I’d put cincy in at 4
OSU at 3
Nd at 2
Bama at 1

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rest helps, sure, but Ohio States defense really needed more game time reps. Badly. If they were going to have a good shot at a title this year it would have required the defense to get better and I think the best chance of that would have simply been more game reps.
I agree that more game reps are important for sure. And I think at the end of the season, as long as they stayed healthy, then they would certainly have rather played 10 games then 5, etc. But for any individual matchup during the season, as long as they weren't off for more than one week at a time then I certainly wouldn't call them "rusty" or act like it's any sort of major disadvantage to have more rest and more time to prepare for a certain opponent. I know you didn't say that was the case, again that was what my best friend was saying.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that more game reps are important for sure. And I think at the end of the season, as long as they stayed healthy, then they would certainly have rather played 10 games then 5, etc. But for any individual matchup during the season, as long as they weren't off for more than one week at a time then I certainly wouldn't call them "rusty" or act like it's any sort of major disadvantage to have more rest and more time to prepare for a certain opponent. I know you didn't say that was the case, again that was what my best friend was saying.

Yeah, rusty is definitely the wrong word. The defense just suffers from a lack of experience, as well as not really having the playmakers they have had in the past. In the playoff, this is going to bite them in the ass IMO

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree for the most part. with slight differences..

1- Alabama vs 8- Iowa St
2- Ohio State vs. 7- Cincinnati
3- Clemson vs. 6- Florida
4- Notre Dame vs. 5- Texas A&M

Updating my 8 team playoff sketch

1-bama
2-Nd
3-OSU
4-clem
5-cincy
6-aTm
7-indiana
8-Iowa st

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFP committee I think needs to give more credence to the AP which I think is spot on, or even the coaches poll, which is more correct than the current ranking for the playoffs.

side note, I really hope ND beats clem, as I see no way the committee could keep clem in, to hear Dabo cry, bitch, and whine would be priceless.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CFP committee I think needs to give more credence to the AP which I think is spot on, or even the coaches poll, which is more correct than the current ranking for the playoffs.

side note, I really hope ND beats clem, as I see no way the committee could keep clem in, to hear Dabo cry, bitch, and whine would be priceless.
Fuck that. The ACC needs that sweet sweet playoff money.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they necessarily should do this. I actually typically agree that 4 is enough. But that doesn't stop me from every year imagining what the 8-team version would look like just for fun.
I think it is all about the bowls and money. If the playoff system preserves the bowls and increases the lining in the pockets of the universities and colleges, it's a perfectly acceptable playoff format.

I used to be in favor of 8 teams, now I support 6 teams. Anywhere in the 4-6 range makes the most sense for college football.

For six teams, I would do this:

- The top 4 ranked teams picks their bowl site.
- #3 vs. #6, 4# vs. #5. Give these teams a bye after conference championship weekend.
- The winners of the 1st round of the playoffs advance to the semi-finals two weeks later.
- Add two more bowl sites, located in the north. That means we would have 8 bowl sites. Rotate 4 each year. No region of the country gets left out.
- No automatics. The best teams period.

2019 season:

Clemson (13-0, #3) vs. Oregon (11-2, #6)
Oklahoma (12-1, #4) vs. Georgia (11-2, #5)

2018 season:

Notre Dame (12-0, #3) vs. Ohio State (12-1, #6)
Oklahoma (12-1, #4) vs. Georgia (11-2, #5)

2017 season:

Georgia (12-1, #3) vs. Wisconsin (12-1, #6)
Alabama (11-1, #4) vs. Ohio State (11-2, #5)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is all about the bowls and money. If the playoff system preserves the bowls and increases the lining in the pockets of the universities and colleges, it's a perfectly acceptable playoff format.

I used to be in favor of 8 teams, now I support 6 teams. Anywhere in the 4-6 range makes the most sense for college football.

I'm not against 6 teams either. I really do hate the 8 or 16 team idea. I really haven't seen a case yet, in the playoff era, where a team in the 7-8 rankings deserved a shot at winning it all. Just my opinion.

Another idea I like, if they insist on expanding the playoffs, is to blow it out. 24 teams. I know it sounds crazy, but let me explain.

#1-8 get a bye. (most of these teams would have likely played and won an extra game in the conference championship anyway. They deserve the bye)

9 v 24
10 v 23
11 v 22
etc.

First round is played at the higher ranked seeds home field. (24 to 16 teams)

Second round is played at the higher ranked seeds home field. (16 to 8 teams)

Third round goes to traditional bowls (8 to 4 teams)

Final Four is played in the big bowls

First round of the tournament starts the week after conference championships (Non Covid season would have been 12/12 this year)
Eliminated teams can accept invites to lesser bowls that start Christmas week
Second round starts 12/19
Third round starts 12/26

The final four can start sometime in January.

Again, I'm in favor of a 4 team playoff, I'm not against a 6 team playoff, but hate 8 or 12 or 16 team playoffs. If they want to go bigger, lets just jump to 24.

Now, it's time to be ridiculed un mercifully for this suggestion! :suds:

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 teams
All P5 Champ
Highest Ranked G5 Champ (If they are ranked higher than any of the P5 champs)
2/3 at larges (Highest Ranked teams)

As of now:

1) Alabama - Projected SEC Champion
8) USC - Projected PAC 12 Champion

4) Ohio State - Projected Big Ten Champion
5) Texas A&M - At Large #2

3) Clemson - At Large #1
6) Iowa State - Projected Big 12 Champion

2) Notre Dame - Projected ACC Champion
7) Cincinnati - Projected AAC Champion

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 teams
All P5 Champ
Highest Ranked G5 Champ (If they are ranked higher than any of the P5 champs)
2/3 at larges (Highest Ranked teams)

As of now:

1) Alabama - Projected SEC Champion
8) USC - Projected PAC 12 Champion

4) Ohio State - Projected Big Ten Champion
5) Texas A&M - At Large #2

3) Clemson - At Large #1
6) Iowa State - Projected Big 12 Champion

2) Notre Dame - Projected ACC Champion
7) Cincinnati - Projected AAC Champion
Looks good to me but with one mistake.
If Clem loses this weekend to nd, they would drop to 4 at least. Flip OSU and Clem in your scenario and it’s spot on

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks good to me but with one mistake.
If Clem loses this weekend to nd, they would drop to 4 at least. Flip OSU and Clem in your scenario and it’s spot on

I'm going based on the rankings right now but you're right, those are likely to change after the final weekend. We could also see potential upsets in the championship games