• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 8/21 Champs @ Boat Thieves

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Not REALLY proposing this)...

ERA should be adjusted for ANYTHING a pitcher does.

If he commits an error, any runs scored as a result should count towards his ERA.

If he creates a run, it should be deducted from his ERA.

So Bum went 6.1 IP, 1 ER

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.5 back!

And historically (it seems) pitchers don't very well following long no-nos, so it may work extra good for us as the Astros will be "a pitcher short" for a while as well.

I love seeing the dogs humiliated!

How do the Astro pitching struggles help us?

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad part of the cake???? wha da fuq. I think he's history next year. The new GM will move in one of his boys.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the top of my head, the elite 1B are probably...

AGone
Goldy
Rizzo
Pujols (??)
Tex (??)
Abreu (??)

I think Belt is probably a decent step behind these guys, but will certainly pass up Tex and Pujols by next year.
If you go by OPS (not your favorite, you prefer OPS+ but I'm being lazy again), it goes:
Goldschmidt
Votto
Rizzo
Teixeira
Davis
Gonzalez
Hosmer
Abreu
Lind
Encarnacion
Belt

If by WAR:
Goldschimidt
Rizzo
Votto
Cabrera
Teixeira
Gonzalez
Davis
Hosmer
Abreu
Belt - closer to Teixeira than he is to #13 (Moreland)

Belt usually lingers around the 10 spot of 1st basemen. Hardly elite but neither is he bottom of the league.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really impressed me. One to his right, one to his left, a line drive he had to leap for. And the play he made last night coming over from the 5.5 hole and make a jump throw. He's looking good.
I showed the wife the replay on that one after telling her that Duffy made three impressive plays that inning. Even she was impressed with the leaping catch.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game, important win. Glad to see Byrd contribute.

Bumgarner continues to lead the team in slugging and it's not even close. He's Michael Morse, righty power off the bench. Even looks like him a bit. Keep pinch hitting him!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice game, important win. Glad to see Byrd contribute.

Bumgarner continues to lead the team in slugging and it's not even close. He's Michael Morse, righty power off the bench. Even looks like him a bit. Keep pinch hitting him!

Another BOMB today for MadBum, 415ft according to the evil 4-letter network.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a turnaround for the Astros. They have been worse than terrible for a few years, and now, all of a sudden, they are pretty good.

I commented on this last year sometime (but maybe not on this board?). The Astros were bought in 2011, the new owner either traded away expensive contracts for prospects or didn't resign departing FAs and lowered salary to MLB's lowest in 2013. The team absolutely sucked, often finishing dead last (worst record in the majors) and so they picked very high in every draft since the sale (I think they picked #1 or #2 overall in every draft after 2011). They basically did a similar rebuild phase to what the Nats did. They now have a super young, inexpensive core and lots of top prospects and ownership has added a few expensive FAs to build a 'good' team. They still have virtually no expensive contracts past next season, so they have the flexibility to do whatever they want (like the trade that brought in Scott Kazmir). They also signed a TV deal similar to the one the Dodgers did (lots of money coming in to the team, but the fans often can't watch because the TV deal is exclusive and too expensive and the cable company is losing money hand over fist).

The Astros have the talent, prospects, and the money to be a powerhouse for years to come if they play their cards right. And if they make the WS (whether they win or not) they will have even more revenue from the fans. The 'stros could become 'the team to beat' in the AL for the rest of the decade. Then again, in baseball you never know. I would have thought that the A's would have done a lot better this season, based on who they had Apr 1st. I think they have the worst record in the AL instead.