• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 7.17 Rook @ Sweep

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game. Pretty hot day, 95° and humid. Hitters did great a d did not quit. Pillar swung at the first pitch in every at bat, and GIDP to end the first.

Anderson looked fine. He got Coorsed on McMahon’s homer. Threw a fastball six inches outside and McMahon just stuck his bat out and it was gone.

Anderson also had first pitch strikes on every hitter, and the Rockies began to pounce on that.

The Rox have now hive up 159 runs on their last 16 games! :eek:

Let’s see if the hitters can hit at home. If so, tough choices are ahead. Buy? Sell? Stay put?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't be sellers now, unless we utterly collapse in the last two weeks. Not happening.
I could see them trading Will Smith either way since they have a lot of bullpen depth. Possibly Bum too believe it or not. But I suppose a total firesale is off the table

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them trading Will Smith either way since they have a lot of bullpen depth. Possibly Bum too believe it or not. But I suppose a total firesale is off the table
I just don't see that happening. It would destroy the chemistry. We are all in at this point. If we want to trade him we can always do it after the season.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see that happening. It would destroy the chemistry. We are all in at this point. If we want to trade him we can always do it after the season.
You are all in, we don't know if FZ is yet. And no we can't trade Bum or Smith after this season they are both FAs

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are all in, we don't know if FZ is yet. And no we can't trade Bum or Smith after this season they are both FAs

I can actually see the above happening because of the lower. It’d be nice to keep them but you get absolutely nothing in the end. Get what we can for them while we can.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can actually see the above happening because of the lower. It’d be nice to keep them but you get absolutely nothing in the end. Get what we can for them while we can.

You're not thinking like an owner. You're thinking like fantasy baseball participants.

The name of the game is not "baseball". It's "M-O-N-E-Y".

At this point, if you sold, the fans would revolt and burn down the Park.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not thinking like an owner. You're thinking like fantasy baseball participants.

I see where you’re coming from and I would hate to see Bum traded. But it’s a business as well on both sides. Bum and Smith both leave after the season and look for the payday and we get nothing in return. Both are considered to fetch good prospects in exchange for being a rental to help a team get to the next level this season. Either way they’re gone (unless Bum gives us the home team discount). I’d rather get something in return rather than nothing and wish we did.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not even. They're gonna burn down the Park for longtime Giants legend Will Smith?

Bum is a tougher choice. Even though he's only here another 2 1/2 months, if the fanbase truly feels we are making the postseason he might have to stay.

Speaking of money (well, markets), what this hot streak does for us is raises the price of anyone we deal. If we were way out it would be hard to walk away from offers. Now, the other teams know they have to give Godfather offers to get guys.

We'll see, this is why FZ makes the big bucks.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even. They're gonna burn down the Park for longtime Giants legend Will Smith?
No, they're going to burn down the Park because if we trade Will Smith, it's a clear signal that they are de facto giving up on the season. Fans are rabid for another run at a WC now. Stop thinking like a fantasy league participant.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you’re coming from and I would hate to see Bum traded. But it’s a business as well on both sides. Bum and Smith both leave after the season and look for the payday and we get nothing in return. Both are considered to fetch good prospects in exchange for being a rental to help a team get to the next level this season. Either way they’re gone (unless Bum gives us the home team discount). I’d rather get something in return rather than nothing and wish we did.
Fair logic. But in large part, they've already achieved the rebuild. Dickerson, Yaz, Solano, Beede, DRod, the bullpen. This turnaround is getting longer than just a statistical anomaly. If we make a deep run now, it changes the whole equation.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair logic. But in large part, they've already achieved the rebuild. Dickerson, Yaz, Solano, Beede, DRod, the bullpen. This turnaround is getting longer than just a statistical anomaly. If we make a deep run now, it changes the whole equation.

It does change the whole equation but only to an extent. You no longer go for the fire sale getting rid of everything you can to get prospects. Now we can trade a few high end pieces that will garner huge return, like Bum and Smith who will walk at the end of the season with zero return if we don’t capitalize on it while we can. There is enough there, you already pointed out some key pieces that are helping to make this run, to keep us going.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they're going to burn down the Park because if we trade Will Smith, it's a clear signal that they are de facto giving up on the season. Fans are rabid for another run at a WC now. Stop thinking like a fantasy league participant.

I just said they have the pen depth to afford to deal Smith without giving up trying to win. And that it would take a BIG offer now, which FZ would be foolish not to consider. Stop thinking with your heart.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just said they have the pen depth to afford to deal Smith without giving up trying to win. And that it would take a BIG offer now, which FZ would be foolish not to consider. Stop thinking with your heart.
I disagree. If they want to win now, they can't afford to lose Smith.

Athletes who are competing for a championship don't want to be disappointed by owners who start dismantling the team while they are trying to win. I'm sorry but that is absurd.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to have been a catalyst but I would say also Slater, Yaz, Solano. They energized the lineup and the vets started hitting too. Helps that we've been in hitters parks all week. Be interesting to see how they look at home now. Might go to the game tomorrow night, Bumgarners last?
I'm going tonight.

Happy Bum Day!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won't be sellers now, unless we utterly collapse in the last two weeks. Not happening.
I dunno. That makes sense, but I've been reading quite a bit about "sell and contend."

I think at least one of the relievers gets traded.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game. Pretty hot day, 95° and humid. Hitters did great a d did not quit. Pillar swung at the first pitch in every at bat, and GIDP to end the first.

Anderson looked fine. He got Coorsed on McMahon’s homer. Threw a fastball six inches outside and McMahon just stuck his bat out and it was gone.

Anderson also had first pitch strikes on every hitter, and the Rockies began to pounce on that.

The Rox have now hive up 159 runs on their last 16 games! :eek:

Let’s see if the hitters can hit at home. If so, tough choices are ahead. Buy? Sell? Stay put?
Thanks for this report on Rook. I think he's a piece of the future so reading that he got Coors'd is hopeful.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we extend the QO to either or both, we get a comp pick. So the downside risk of keeping either/both is mitigated.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about that. They may feel that they can adequately replace him with a couple of guys. And if he were to bring back a solid A prospect I think you'd have to consider it.