• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 6.29 Tiggers @ Balsa

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not change for the sake of change, it's change because the numbers show this is how you maximize wins and get an edge.

Sort of like how the NBA learned you maximize wins by only shooting from the paint in close (dunks and layups) or 3 pointers, no more midrange game. And in the NFL it's all about passing and QBs, the running game is only there to set up passing.

Sports evolve, and as we get older we like change less and less but that's the human condition.
It works until it doesn't (i.e. when all orgs start the churn), then something else will come down the pike. Obviously, it wouldn't be continued if it didn't work but when orgs do it and it doesn't work, it sure is painful for the fans to watch.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't even know how to phrase this .... when I was a kid (8 - 12ish) I loved baseball and MOST important to me was the when they released the new baseball series of TOPPs baseball cards. Just couldnt wait to start the series collection. Couldn't wait till I had some NYG cards in the collection (pre SFG). It was a great feeling to collect your team. I knew just about every player and thier stats on the back of the card.

How would that work today? How do you callect cards of all these players? Will they even have cards gor all of them. Not even sure what card collecting will look like in the future for kids ....
Oh man, baseball cards! I was just looking at San Jose Giants' sets earlier today, with the temptation to buy some. I haven't gotten cards in a long while, so I don't know how they work but I do know that there was a big change in cards in the early 2000s. Something about eliminating so many different options (i.e. no more 8 or so different copies issuing cards) but a lot more sets and sub sets.
I have a feeling that either A) physical cards go the way of chewing gum in packs or B) card makers just focus on the guys who spend at least a month in the big leagues with one team (with the exception of exciting rookies).

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It works until it doesn't (i.e. when all orgs start the churn), then something else will come down the pike. Obviously, it wouldn't be continued if it didn't work but when orgs do it and it doesn't work, it sure is painful for the fans to watch.
You wonder how they won 107 with that roster last year? That's how.

Nothing is ever as fun as when we were kids. Just part of life.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wonder how they won 107 with that roster last year? That's how.

Nothing is ever as fun as when we were kids. Just part of life.
And this is my reason for not liking the 'churn' .... 'nothing is ever as fun when we were kids' ....i understand it .. but they've taken the 'fun' out if the game ..... especially for the youngsters ... ... I loved the game as a kid .... playing it as well as following my team ... that aspect of the game seems to be gone .... and I miss it ...

Don't know how the stadiums are around the league ... but here in NY they are spectacular.. but not the least bit friendly anymore. You can't approach field level unless your seat is actually there. Even during batting practice. Parts of the stadiums are actually blocked from foot traffic. They have restricted areas all over the park.
As a kid we were always able to get close to the bench areas and get autographs. Not anymore.

It's now all about sales, merchandising and revenue in general .. and as you said .... that's just a part of life now ....