• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins Round 1: There will be blood

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see, this is the issue today, not what happened before. Also, a bit of an exaggeration there Dacks, on the Crosby comments. Nobody is asking him to throw his guys under the bus. Say you lost your cool a but because it's the playoffs and you are frustrated.

Fair enough. But he must be pretty jammed up right now. I don't know how he looked that calm for the interview. The robot must be returning.

For the record, I don't approve of or apologize for all of Sid's actions. He's not my perfect captain - that would by Yzerman or even Lidstrom. But everything he does or doesn't do gets overblown. It's the youtube era. Messier's considered one of the greatest captains in all of sports. If his every elbow or spear was captured on youtube and pasted to message boards during his career, he'd be a villain.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe the trade Malkin stuff is going on.

The guy had an amazing year, capturing a second Art Ross and is easily the favorite for the Hart. But he has three bad games and people want him gone already.

But let's be honest, which Pens haven't had three bad games? Not sure why they pick him out to pin it on when the team as a whole has been bad for most of the series.

The stupidest thing is: the issue isn't the offense. They're averaging 4 goals a game...but of course it's Malkin's fault for not showing up! I mean, I'd love him to show up...but it's the D and MAF's fault right now. And by D I mean team D.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dacks, I agree on the idea of moving Orpik...honestly, he's vastly overrated as a defenseman because he can hit. He over-hits.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. But he must be pretty jammed up right now. I don't know how he looked that calm for the interview. The robot must be returning.

For the record, I don't approve of or apologize for all of Sid's actions. He's not my perfect captain - that would by Yzerman or even Lidstrom. But everything he does or doesn't do gets overblown. It's the youtube era. Messier's considered one of the greatest captains in all of sports. If his every elbow or spear was captured on youtube and pasted to message boards during his career, he'd be a villain.

But Messier played in a different era of hockey when that sort of thing was accepted. It's not that people didn't know he was doing it, it's that they didn't care.

Nowadays, when we know what concussions can do and we see players like Savard getting their careers ended or guys like Crosby missing huge chunks of time because of concussions. Back then, people were expected to play through that stuff, so a few flying elbows wasn't seen in the same light as it is today.

So yeah, you're right, if Messier played that style of hockey today, he would be villified for it, but not just because of message boards and YouTube, but because we'd know that he was being a dangerous prick.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dacks, I agree on the idea of moving Orpik...honestly, he's vastly overrated as a defenseman because he can hit. He over-hits.

The hitting is what makes me think we can still get a return for him before the whole league clues in. He just hasn't been good.

If only this were possible:

Letang - Suter
Despres - Michalek
Niskanen - Engelland
(Straight, Lovejoy)

Since Suter's probably not feasible, just find a solid shutdown guy.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing??? Your lame ass fans stole it from the Rangers when they swept your asses 6-0. Unfuckingbelievable.

Didnt say it was original.

Dont come at the fans, dude. We are the least of your problems.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Martin could be tough to move with his cap hit, plus, don't Martin and Orpik both have NTCs?

Orpik's price is OK (little high for my tastes, but most contracts are), but Martin at $5M a year would be pretty hard to move.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin could be tough to move with his cap hit, plus, don't Martin and Orpik both have NTCs?

Orpik's price is OK (little high for my tastes, but most contracts are), but Martin at $5M a year would be pretty hard to move.

My god, I hope not. I was more thining of burying him in the minors anyway. Nobody's taking that contract, I know that. Unless somebody desperately wants to get to the floor and we throw in a draft pick.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hitting is what makes me think we can still get a return for him before the whole league clues in. He just hasn't been good.

If only this were possible:

Letang - Suter
Despres - Michalek
Niskanen - Engelland
(Straight, Lovejoy)

Since Suter's probably not feasible, just find a solid shutdown guy.

Suter actually came to mind...but, we'd have to move some salary around. Then again, moving Martin and Orpik could make that happen. Orpik has a NTC though. Crap. He's at $3.75 and Martin is at $5. So...you never know. I know the expiring contracts on the Pens aren't that many (Asham, Sully, Park, Tangradi, MacIntyre, Niskanen, Strait), so there's not a lot of wiggle room to sign anyone (without all of those contracts the Pens have 4.7mil+whatever increases to the cap).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMNIT. Martin has a NTC and NMC. WHAT WAS SHERO DOING?!

EDIT: It says limited NTC...I wonder what that means. He has a list perhaps?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My god, I hope not. I was more thining of burying him in the minors anyway. Nobody's taking that contract, I know that. Unless somebody desperately wants to get to the floor and we throw in a draft pick.

Even if he doesn't have an NTC, does Mario have the stomach for burying $15M cash in salary in the minors (three years left after this year on his deal)? Or at least until they can buy him out?

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jS9pH.png

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMNIT. Martin has a NTC and NMC. WHAT WAS SHERO DOING?!

EDIT: It says limited NTC...I wonder what that means. He has a list perhaps?

Usually either one of two types of list: X number of teams he will accept a trade to or X number of teams he will not accept a trade to.