• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

5-17-18 Giants vs Arenados

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop quiz...

Bottom of the 12th on the road. 2 on (1st and 2nd), 2 outs. You have Cory Gearin and Tyler Walker ready in the pen.

Who do you bring in?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Bochy made a couple of questionable moves this game with the bullpen. He wasted Will Smith in the 7th inning. I really do think he should have stuck with Samardzija or at least let Smith hit in the bottom of the 7th and come back out for the 8th. You have to start thinking about getting the most out of the bullpen when the game is tied late.
Then he decided not to stretch out any of Dyson, Strickland or Watson for more than one inning. I think Bud Black was smart to do that with a couple of his guys who normally just throw one inning.
Bochy's decision to not use any of his best guys for multiple innings forced him to use Johnson for two innings. Johnson was good for one and got in trouble in the second. That, in turn, forced Bochy to use either Moronta, Valdez or Gearrin with runners on.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when Belt is not at the plate, he is causing guys to get rung up looking. His mojo is that strong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That whole exchange seems to have rattled Davis.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, right-center...

I am not a fan of slugger-Blanco.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Bochy made a couple of questionable moves this game with the bullpen. He wasted Will Smith in the 7th inning. I really do think he should have stuck with Samardzija or at least let Smith hit in the bottom of the 7th and come back out for the 8th. You have to start thinking about getting the most out of the bullpen when the game is tied late.
Then he decided not to stretch out any of Dyson, Strickland or Watson for more than one inning. I think Bud Black was smart to do that with a couple of his guys who normally just throw one inning.
Bochy's decision to not use any of his best guys for multiple innings forced him to use Johnson for two innings. Johnson was good for one and got in trouble in the second. That, in turn, forced Bochy to use either Moronta, Valdez or Gearrin with runners on.
Another thing that I thought about today. Why was Pierce Johnson used before Reyes Moronta? Moronta has been pitching better, especially of late, than Johnson and hadn't been used since the 13th of May. Is he hurt?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing that I thought about today. Why was Pierce Johnson used before Reyes Moronta? Moronta has been pitching better, especially of late, than Johnson and hadn't been used since the 13th of May. Is he hurt?
Now I know my answer, Moronta was dealing with a minor injury and was not available for this game. It was down to Johnson, Gearrin and Valdez at the top of the 12th inning. I probably think that Gearrin would have been a better decision because he would have started the inning clean, which would have a better motivator for him to do well.
Giants reliever Moronta overcomes minor left-side injury