• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4_9_E_R_S!!!!! ESPN Refugee BS Thread

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google

My top score so far is 13.4...That's definitely the best logo they have ever had.

How does this thing work? When I click on the doodle it just goes to a bunch of stats?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this thing work? When I click on the doodle it just goes to a bunch of stats?

Click on the triangle play button, then when you start press the arrow buttons to run, and the space bar to jump.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Click on the triangle play button, then when you start press the arrow buttons to run, and the space bar to jump.

Thanks One - For some reason I'm not getting the play button; so, 13.4 is thus far the Gold Medal time!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the guy walks up to the line it should be a red play button in the second O of Google. My record doesn't count unless somebody else at least tries!

Up to 13.3 now! Woohoo!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the guy walks up to the line it should be a red play button in the second O of Google. My record doesn't count unless somebody else at least tries!

Up to 13.3 now! Woohoo!

My guess is it requires a Java add-on or something because my guy is just suspended in mid air over a hurdle - Damn-it!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Locker moving ahead?
11:25AM ET
Jake Locker | Titans

After some rough practices early on in training camp for Jake Locker, the buzz was that he was falling behind veteran Matt Hasselbeck in the battle for the Tennessee Titans' starting QB gig. However, after similar output against the Atlanta Falcons in a joint practice this week, the second-year pro pulled himself back into the mix (if he was ever out). And the tide could be turning.

John Glennon of the Tennessean notes that Hasselbeck threw two interceptions during team drills Wednesday, while Locker had none. In total this preseason, Hasselbeck has been intercepted eight times in team drills, with just two for Locker.

Some have argued that in order for Locker to overtake Hasselbeck, he'll need to outplay the veteran incumbent. If the trends from practice spill over into the actual preseason games, that appears to be the road down which we're headed.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Curry on the way out?
1:53PM ET
Aaron Curry | Raiders

When the Seattle Seahawks invested the No. 4 overall pick in the 2009 draft on Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, they figured they were getting an athletic talent that would be making plays for them for a decade. Instead, during his third season, he was traded to the Oakland Raiders for a seventh-round pick (and a conditional pick in 2013). In 11 games for Oakland in 2011, he managed 46 tackles.

Hampered by knee troubles this offseason, Curry may now be on the way to being released by Oakland. On Aug. 10, Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group reported that Curry was making little progress with his recovery, and was headed to Los Angeles for a second opinion on the course of action. On Sunday night, fellow Bay Area News Group scribe Steve Corkran tweeted that Curry might not make the team unless his knee responds to treatment soon.

In the meantime -- and indefinitely, if Curry is cut -- fourth-round pick Miles Burris has taken over Curry's spot with the first-team.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh well they tried! I still think that he would have made a formidable player as a 3-4 OLB.

Latest on Griffen's position
2:01PM ET
Everson Griffen | Vikings

The Minnesota Vikings wanted to make the most use out of talented defender Everson Griffen as possible, but they have two iron man DEs ahead of him on the depth chart in Jared Allen and Brian Robison. So, they tried to have him make the switch to SLB this offseason -- following the lead set by Mathias Kiwanuka of the New York Giants. Recently, Vikes HC Leslie Frazier admitted that Griffen's play at LB was "sporadic at best," and it appears that the experiment is now over. According to the Star Tribune, Griffen is headed back to DE.

"We feel like this is going to be better for him," Frazier commented. "We talked to him Sunday night when we got back. And he agrees."

It would stand to reason that if the Vikes want Griffen back at DE, they'll find a way to get him on the field more -- that was the whole point of the attempted position switch, after all. Of course, that means taking snaps off the table for Allen or Robison. An intriguing dilemma for Frazier and his staff.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Kevin Seifert
Griffen back where he belongs

"In the end, the real test will be whether defensive coordinator Alan Williams can find a way to get Griffen regular work at defensive end. Allen played more snaps (1,004) than any defensive end in the NFL last season. Robison was close behind. There is no reason to wear down starters to that extent -- as long as there is a viable alternative. Now, there is."

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hall of Fans — Scout the Competition Hannah P

Some people don't understand the word, "literally." Though, I assume she literally does actually understand the meaning.

24934818.jpg

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Popped up on the News Feed from NFL.com on Facebook. She said she literally lives and dies with the US soccer team (or some other soccer team, I wasn't reading it closely). She must spend much of her life dead. Interesting way to live... or die. If I were her, I'd stick to figuratively dying, because I wouldn't know how many lives I have.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popped up on the News Feed from NFL.com on Facebook. She said she literally lives and dies with the US soccer team (or some other soccer team, I wasn't reading it closely). She must spend much of her life dead. Interesting way to live... or die. If I were her, I'd stick to figuratively dying, because I wouldn't know how many lives I have.

She seems smart.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ranking NFL teams by depth
Green Bay, Pittsburgh have depth; Oakland, Indianapolis lack it
Originally Published: August 15, 2012
By Rivers McCown | Football Outsiders

The Packers need depth behind Aaron Rodgers, but they have it everywhere else.

One of the biggest differences between the NFL and other major professional sports is that a star player can only take you so far in football. In the NBA, teams plan for years to try to either trade or acquire big-name players. Major League Baseball isn't quite as star-driven, but franchise players still make a disproportionate amount of the sport's money.

In the NFL, where 11 players take the field for each side and substitution packages have grown in importance every year, you're only as good as your weakest link. It's the reason why teams like the Washington Redskins have stayed mostly irrelevant despite bringing in huge free-agent signings every year, and it's the reason why the teams below have distinct advantages (or disadvantages) in competing for a playoff berth this season.

Here are the teams with the most (and least) depth in the NFL:

Most depth

Green Bay Packers

Let's get this out of the way: no, the Packers no longer have one of the best backup quarterbacks in the game in Matt Flynn, and Graham Harrell and rookie seventh-rounder B.J. Coleman are untested. (Though Coleman is highly regarded by FO's own Matt Waldman.) As long as Rodgers stays healthy, though, there's depth everywhere else.

There are probably a few NFL teams that would swap their top pair of corners for Sam Shields and Jarrett Bush -- and the Packers still have Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams on the depth chart. Oh, and second-round pick Casey Hayward is hanging around there as well. Cedric Benson's signing helps solidify their running back rotation, Anthony Hargrove should be able to provide help on the defensive line once his suspension runs out and 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod is still waiting his turn at offensive tackle. Former starter Erik Walden is still hanging around to back up at outside linebacker, and the roster gets rounded out by the deepest receiving corps in the NFL.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Much like Green Bay, a lot of the functional depth accumulated by Pittsburgh impacts the passing game. The Steelers have a trio of talented corners behind incumbent No. 1 Ike Taylor, including FO top-25 prospect Cortez Allen.

No Mike Wallace? Well, that's eventually going to be a problem, yes. But the Steelers are better equipped than most to weather the storm, thanks to Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Pittsburgh also invested heavily in its offensive line this past draft, which should help keep them from having to unearth Charlie Batch from the glass case they keep him in. Jonathan Dwyer should help keep the running game going if Ike Redman is found wanting, and the Steelers also have an intriguing pair of developmental pass-rushers in Jason Worilds and Chris Carter. Strong, stable organizations tend to have a lot of backup plans, and the Steelers are nothing if not stable.

San Francisco 49ers

The big problem that the 49ers had coming into the offseason was a lack of depth at the skill positions -- especially at wide receiver, where Michael Crabtree was essentially the only receiving option of any note after Josh Morgan went down. Between Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, and A.J. Jenkins, San Francisco now has a lot of potential solutions for Alex Smith to throw deep to. Frank Gore hasn't been a true game-changing running back for a number of years now, so the 49ers drafted LaMichael James and signed Brandon Jacobs to make sure they had a couple of different looks to throw at opponents in the run game.

On defense the 49ers return all 11 starters and have a number of solid backups and situational players like nickelback Chris Culliver and linebacker Larry Grant. Oh yeah, and Aldon Smith's ascension to the starting lineup leaves a perfectly solid linebacker like Parys Haralson on the bench.

Least depth

Indianapolis Colts

Teams don't typically go 2-14 just because they lose a superstar quarterback. While many scribes were quick to raise hypothetical MVP votes for Peyton Manning during Indianapolis' first few dreadful months, the Colts likely would have struggled anyway due to a lack of success from recent drafts. While new general manager Ryan Grigson had a pretty stellar draft class this season, and Andrew Luck is a great first piece in any rebuilding puzzle, this team still lacks much functional depth.

You can pick at the cornerback position, where Jerraud Powers is the only corner that has any history of NFL success. You can look at wide receiver, where injury-prone castoff Donnie Avery spent the early part of training camp being mentioned as a possibility at flanker. But perhaps the most telling indication that this team has little depth is that the recent foot injury suffered by inside linebacker Pat Angerer could lead head coach Chuck Pagano to seriously consider elevating Moise Fokou or Greg Lloyd to the starting lineup. You may remember those names from August 2nd, when the Colts traded Kevin Thomas and a seventh-round pick for them in an "our castoffs for your castoffs" deal.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The depth issues for this team start with the offensive line. A high ankle sprain has put presumed starting left guard Will Rackley's beginning of the season in jeopardy -- and that's only if you believe that a coaching staff that seems desperate to keep injury news private is giving you the real spin. Rackley's backup, former Packer Jason Spitz, is dealing with a sprained foot of his own. This has led them to shift right tackle Eben Britton to guard. Normally that would mean that one of last season's biggest turnstiles, Guy Whimper, would hit the field at right tackle. Instead, the Jaguars are currently rolling with undrafted free agent Cameron Bradfield on the outside.

The Jaguars do have Aaron Ross and can field a respectable back end with their corners and safeties, but Russell Allen may have to ascend to the starting lineup due to Clint Session's post-concussion issues, and top young defensive line backups Austen Lane and D'Anthony Smith have been underwhelming and injured, respectively.

Oakland Raiders

The Raiders have developed a few interesting players when they've actually kept their draft picks, but their history of trading picks away has largely hamstrung their current roster. The fact that they were right up against the salary cap after trading for large contracts like Carson Palmer and Richard Seymour meant that they had to release two of their better defenders: Kamerion Wimbley and Stanford Routt. Without compensation picks, the Raiders would have had only their fifth- and sixth-round picks in the 2011 draft. Thankfully, they were able to make a few extra selections due to the compensation formula, but this remains an incredibly thin roster.

The Raiders may have to use DeMarcus Van Dyke outside immediately if Shawntae Spencer continues to play with a fork sticking out of his back in training camp. Rolando McClain's possible punishment (either from the feds, the NFL, or both) regarding his assault conviction could leave Oakland without a passable linebacker. The Raiders do have some areas of depth, like wide receiver and defensive line, but for the most part the legacy of Al Davis has handcuffed them for the short term.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mallett's development
4:09PM ET
Ryan Mallett | Patriots

New England Patriots reserve quarterback Ryan Mallett tossed an interception during Wednesday's practice, just like he did the day before, according to the Boston Globe's Julian Benbow. Fortunately for the young QB, coach Bill Belichick wants his players to take risks in practice, so they can learn from mistakes made before it really counts.

"As I tell our players, that's part of what practice is for -- to take risks, and to push it to see how far it can go, to see how much you can do," Belichick said. "Sometimes it's going to come up a little bit short, but if it's done in the right context then you learn from that and you realize this is how far I can go and I can't gamble beyond this, but I can push it to this point. But if you never push it to this point, then I don't think you ever really know how far it can go."

To further make the coach's point, it's important to note that one Tom Brady was picked off twice during Tuesday's practice, including one which he threw into triple coverage.

Mallett will have to avoid mistakes during preseason games to keep himself in good stead with his coach. He's still pegged as the No. 3 QB behind Brady and Brian Hoyer.

- Tom Carpenter​