• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4_9_E_R_S!!!!! ESPN Refugee BS Thread

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
29. Buffalo Bills

Marcell Dareus was an enormous addition as a rookie, notching 5.5 sacks despite playing some 3-4 nose tackle last season. Beyond him, the Bills had more questions than answers. CB Aaron Williams is going to be a contributor in their secondary, but RB C.J. Spiller is blocked by Fred Jackson, and the addition of Cordy Glenn in the draft could place LT Chris Hairston on the bench or at a different position. WR Donald Jones has been rather inconsistent, and the rest of the Bills' youth movement focuses an awful lot on quantity over quality -- or at least that's how it has gone so far.

30. New York Jets

Remember what we just said about free-agent signings affecting the U-25 list? Well, at least DE Aaron Maybin actually started games and was productive at times -- he's still really a supporting edge rusher on a good team, but New York hasn't found that premium pass-rusher yet. WR Jeremy Kerley made our top 25 prospects list (coming Tuesday), and DT Muhammad Wilkerson and CB Kyle Wilson are a pair of decent, young building blocks for the defense. But nobody knows quite what to make of DE Quinton Coples, so forgive us for taking the same wait-and-see approach that he took toward going after quarterbacks in his senior season at North Carolina.

31. Chicago Bears

With the graduation of RB Matt Forte and WR Johnny Knox, the Bears have very little youth on offense to fall back on. J'Marcus Webb still qualifies at tackle, but even if you are Mike Tice, sole believer in Webb's potential, Webb has yet to post a season worth crowing about. Gabe Carimi had to deal with injuries in his rookie season, and outside of Chicago's young safety tandem of Chris Conte and Major Wright, none of their young defenders managed to start multiple games in 2011.

Wide receivers Alshon Jeffery (age 22) and Brandon Marshall should help rejuvenate this team's passing game, but at the cost of two third-round picks, the Bears will again be at a disadvantage when draft day rolls around next season.

32. New Orleans Saints

Obviously they didn't know this at the time, but given the fact that the Saints were forced to forfeit multiple high picks in light of the bounty scandal, the trade up for Mark Ingram looks even sillier in retrospect. New Orleans now employs four solid running backs in Ingram, Chris Ivory, Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles. To make matters worse, Ingram was dinged up last year and made even less of an impact than you would expect given the other solid players at his position.

Malcolm Jenkins is a fine safety, but Patrick Robinson continued to struggle at corner, and Cameron Jordan notched just one sack in 15 starts. Perhaps Martez Wilson's conversion to defensive end will help raise the tide, but there isn't much help coming in future drafts due to the aforementioned punishment.

In short, this is a team that very much needs to win now. Which is why it's a good thing Drew Brees is now signed.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Impact of Reiff's deal
7:53AM ET
Detroit Lions

Recommend0Comments0Email It didn't take a master detective to figure out what was going to happen in Detroit this morning; reports came in that No. 23 overall pick Riley Reiff was driving up to the Motor City on the eve of the Detroit Lions' rookie reporting date, and sure enough, this morning the team's official Twitter feed had reported that Reiff has signed his rookie deal.

Terms of the contract have yet to be reported -- the key consideration is how much of the fourth year on the deal is guaranteed -- but this could help push some of the draft picks around Reiff towards their deal. No. 20 Kendall Wright, No. 22 Brandon Weeden and No. 24 David DeCastro remain unsigned. Weeden is reportedly seeking all four years of his deal to be guaranteed, while there have been mixed signals on the others. The guarantees in Reiff's deal may help shape those of Wright and DeCastro.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Impact of Reiff's deal
7:53AM ET
Detroit Lions

It didn't take a master detective to figure out what was going to happen in Detroit this morning; reports came in that No. 23 overall pick Riley Reiff was driving up to the Motor City on the eve of the Detroit Lions' rookie reporting date, and sure enough, this morning the team's official Twitter feed had reported that Reiff has signed his rookie deal.

Terms of the contract have yet to be reported -- the key consideration is how much of the fourth year on the deal is guaranteed -- but this could help push some of the draft picks around Reiff towards their deal. No. 20 Kendall Wright, No. 22 Brandon Weeden and No. 24 David DeCastro remain unsigned. Weeden is reportedly seeking all four years of his deal to be guaranteed, while there have been mixed signals on the others. The guarantees in Reiff's deal may help shape those of Wright and DeCastro.

-
Tim Kavanagh​

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources -- Orlando Magic might keep Dwight Howard for now - ESPN

Can anyone answer me this: why the hell did Howard agree to waive his right to opt out of his contract this year in exchange for not being traded last year? Does he lose that right to opt out if he is traded so he thought Orlando was the lesser of the potential evils? Otherwise, why not just be traded at the deadline to whomever and then opt out? He wouldn't be in this mess and could go to Brooklyn like he wanted. I'm either misunderstanding something or Howard is the dumbest or most impatient disgruntled player in the league.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think this warranted an entire thread, so I'll just say it here:

If Chad Johnson is still in the league, I have no idea why TO is not. TO's last season in the league was statisitcally good enough to warrant a second look, especially if Chad Johnson gets to pretend like New England never happened.

Haters!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't think this warranted an entire thread, so I'll just say it here:

If Chad Johnson is still in the league, I have no idea why TO is not. TO's last season in the league was statisitcally good enough to warrant a second look, especially if Chad Johnson gets to pretend like New England never happened.

Haters!

I completely agree, I personally don't understand how TO can't even get an invite to training camp but Chad Johnson was picked up almost immediately.

Maybe TO committed career suicide by going on the Dr. Phil show. I don't think teams like that players have financial issues... heck, most companies don't.

I also wonder if the problem is T.O. himself, for instance, is he refusing 1 million dollar offers and only willing to take something like 3+ million?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the 4 years difference in age between owens & johnson has something to do with it? Who knows.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the 4 years difference in age between owens & johnson has something to do with it? Who knows.

Perhaps a bit, coupled with the ACL(?) injury that kept him out until mid October last year. Of course TO isn't done any favors by the public's perception of him due to his past melt downs. And these the stories he gets embroiled in these days (Dr Phil; being kicked out of the indoor league) just seem weird, so it seems as though teams are weary of the potential headache he could bring.

My horse in this race is simply that I like seeing truly talented players going out on their own terms - able play until someone else proves better than them. Also, I like redemption stories, and I think he has attempted quite hard to grow up and change his ways. Well, at least I think he's tried harder to straighten up than guys like Ron Artest or Albert Haynesworth have ever done.

TO was fun to watch, and you can't tell me that the passing games of teams like the Vikings and Browns wouldn't benefit from TO lining up at WR.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I've been all long winded, here is Jerry Rice doing the dougie, with Carlton Banks (Alfonso Ribeiro) starting things off with his best Michael Jackson impression to "Billie Jean"

Jerry comes in around 1:14 and gets his dougie on at around 1:38

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a bit, coupled with the ACL(?) injury that kept him out until mid October last year. Of course TO isn't done any favors by the public's perception of him due to his past melt downs. And these the stories he gets embroiled in these days (Dr Phil; being kicked out of the indoor league) just seem weird, so it seems as though teams are weary of the potential headache he could bring.

My horse in this race is simply that I like seeing truly talented players going out on their own terms - able play until someone else proves better than them. Also, I like redemption stories, and I think he has attempted quite hard to grow up and change his ways. Well, at least I think he's tried harder to straighten up than guys like Ron Artest or Albert Haynesworth have ever done.

TO was fun to watch, and you can't tell me that the passing games of teams like the Vikings and Browns wouldn't benefit from TO lining up at WR.

Can't disagree with a single word of this - I think you hit the nail when you said "potential headache". There are teams in need of help outside the #'s but 38-year old potential headaches are apparently in low-demand.

I do believe Owens, even at 38, could still deliver meaningful #'s and I like what you said about the greats going out on their own terms - so who knows, once the injuries start coming in maybe he will get that last shot.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I do believe Owens, even at 38, could still deliver meaningful #'s

I don't think you're right about this. Even Owens knows he's done. Every WR omn the Niners' roster is better than Owens right now IMO.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: