• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4_9_E_R_S!!!!! ESPN Refugee BS Thread

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
10 young stars to build around
Cam Newton among top cornerstone players under 25
Originally Published: July 6, 2012
By KC Joyner | ESPN Insider

LeSean McCoy is one of the most versatile running backs in the NFL.

They say a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, but in the case of sports teams, their future is only as strong as their young cornerstone players.

Building around young talent is essential to long-term success in the NFL, but whom do you want to build around? Which current players are best suited to be pillars both now and down the road? Dan Graziano asked coaches and executives that very question. The results varied quite a bit.

I'm going to take a slightly different perspective, evaluating my top 10 cornerstone players under the age of 25 by weaving some statistical analysis into the mix. A question such as this one never yields a clear-cut answer, so I've included the pros and cons for each player.

(Note: Age is as of the start of the 2012 season)

1. LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia Eagles, 24 years old

Pros: McCoy won his first All-Pro honor last season and became one of the highest-paid running backs in the league because he is the type of ball carrier a team can build an offense around. His 342 combined rushes/targets were the fourth most among running backs last season, and he has ranked in the top 10 in the good blocking yards per attempt category in each of the past two seasons (GBYPA being a measurement of a ball carrier's productivity when given favorable blocking).

Cons: Recent history, most notably the 2011 New York Giants, has reinforced the idea that says teams don't need dominant rushing attacks to win in the NFL. Combine that with the fact that teams can normally build productive rushing attacks with good blocking and above average (but not elite) running back talent and it decreases the cornerstone value of the running back position. McCoy's drop-off in receptions last season (48, down from 78 in 2010) could indicate the Eagles are putting a workload ceiling on him.

2. Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit Lions, 24

Pros: Stafford racked up more than 5,000 passing yards last season despite throwing more than 75 percent of his targets to guys like Brandon Pettigrew, Nate Burleson, Titus Young and Tony Scheffler. Having Calvin Johnson as a primary target is a big help, but those numbers illustrate Stafford has an ability to post voluminous numbers even when throwing to less-than-elite pass-catchers.

Cons: He has had only one healthy NFL season, something that shows Stafford still has a ways to go to prove his long-term durability.

3. Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers, 23

Pros: Newton earned a Pro Bowl nomination in 2011 by becoming the first player in league history to pass for 4,000 yards and rush for 500 yards in a single season. His 14 rushing touchdowns were the second most in the NFL behind McCoy. Despite these achievements, Newton is fired up to move his game to the next level and prove his remaining doubters wrong.

Cons: How much of Newton's success last season can be attributed to the effects of the lockout? His passing numbers were great early in the year when defenses were hamstrung play calling-wise -- he posted at least 374 passing yards in three of his first four games -- but fell off dramatically as the season progressed, tallying 208 or fewer passing yards in five of his final six games. Newton also had major issues in the bad decision rate department, as his 4.2 percent mark in that category was the fifth highest in the league. (BDR measures a quarterback's propensity for making mental errors that lead to turnover chances for the opponent.)

4. Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington Redskins, 22

Pros: Griffin got a ton of attention for his 2011 Heisman Trophy-winning campaign, but his collegiate career totals were actually as good or better than those posted by Andrew Luck. RG3 has shown an ability to get top-level performance out of everyone on his offense and has All-American caliber speed.

Cons: The offense Griffin operated at Baylor is a lot different than the system he will be operating in the NFL, so he will have to show that he can transition to a pro-style offense. There are concerns about Griffin's durability. He was given a 4 durability rating in his Scouts Inc. draft profile and will have to prove he has NFL-caliber physical endurance.

Andrew Luck is taking over a new team in Indy.

5. Andrew Luck, QB, Indianapolis Colts, 22

Pros: Just about everything in Luck's résumé says franchise QB. His accuracy is superb, he is highly intelligent, and he has prototypical NFL quarterback size. Luck has been groomed for an NFL career for many years and is as well prepared for being a franchise quarterback as one can be.

Cons: Luck had a ton of talent around him at Stanford, as eight of his offensive teammates last season were named either All-Pac-12 or honorable mention All-Pac-12. He might not react so well when he is not surrounded by a similar caliber of offensive talent. He also did not consistently raise the level of play of some of those around him last season, especially on vertical passes. Luck has been a quarterback in a run-first offense only, so there is the question of whether he can step up when his team needs him to operate a pass-first offense.

6. Hakeem Nicks, WR, New York Giants, 24

Pros: Nicks has played three NFL seasons, but he is only a few months older than A.J. Green and is younger than Victor Cruz. He is a master at beating coverage. According to my fantasy football draft guide, a cornerback and/or safety covered Nicks on 84.5 percent of his targets last season, sixth highest among wideouts, and he still managed to post an impressive 9.9 yards per attempt, which ranked 19th in the league.

Cons: His injury issues are a bit overblown at times, missing only six games in his three NFL campaigns, but these physical woes are too constant to allow Nicks to claim a higher ranking.

7. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons, 23

Pros: To get an idea of the kind of impact Jones is capable of, consider that he was one of only 31 wide receivers to post at least 50 vertical targets last season -- and he did this despite being a rookie in a lockout-truncated offseason and battling hamstring injuries that cost him three games.

Cons: Jones' 5.4 YPA last season against cornerbacks rated solid or better ranked 40th out of 47 wideouts with at least 30 targets against that caliber of competition. Scouts Inc. gave him a 4 ranking in durability going into the 2011 NFL draft. When that is combined with his injury woes, it could indicate Jones will have difficulty racking up 16 starts in a season on a consistent basis.

8. Trent Richardson, RB, Cleveland Browns, 21

Pros: Richardson posted a 9.7 GBYPA against the toughest run defenses the Alabama Crimson Tide faced in 2011. Posting that type of GBYPA bodes well for his ability to churn out ground gains against tough competition and shows why he was the best player on the best team in college football last season. He also is solid in pass protection.

Cons: Richardson has a pretty good track record on the durability front, but there are enough concerns to make ESPN.com injury expert Stephania Bell a bit worried about his ability to hold up over the long haul. As noted, the running back position tends to be one that doesn't make for the best cornerstone candidates.

9. Matt Kalil, T, Minnesota Vikings, 23

Pros: Kalil served as an offensive line cornerstone at USC. He has the type of talent that caused Todd McShay to say, "Kalil is the best offensive tackle I've evaluated since Joe Thomas." Kalil also played on the Trojans special teams line and was athletic enough to block four kicks last season.

Cons: Contrary to popular opinion, left tackle isn't quite the cornerstone position some would make it out to be. Many teams have won Super Bowls with less-than-stellar play at that position, and picking a left tackle over a quarterback can oftentimes be a mistake (e.g., when Miami picked Jake Long over Matt Ryan in the 2008 draft).

10. Von Miller, LB, Denver Broncos, 23

Pros: Miller could be the best young pass-rusher in the NFL. According to pro-football-reference.com, Miller has the fifth-highest sack total among linebackers drafted since 2008 despite being in the league for only one season.

Cons: Not to knock 11.5 sacks in 15 games, but the most effective sack artists normally have higher sack totals. Miller has the skills necessary to increase his total in this category, but he needs to take that next step before he can rate higher on this list.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does V.Miller make the list and not our own Crazy Aldon?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How does V.Miller make the list and not our own Crazy Aldon?

I like Aldon. A whole lot. But Von Miller "may actually be" just as good if not better than Aldon as a 3-4 OLB. They're interchangeable. It's one of those who do you think is better Brady or Peyton type of convesations.

If anything Nicks should not be on this list.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
How is Julio Jones on that list but not AJ Green? That's bonkers.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
tumbleweed2.jpg

...back in the day of the NFL dot com / BSPN boards, I had to do this:

@........@........@...............@...........@....................@........................@

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is he using the Julian Peterson arguement when he claimed to be a CB?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Julio Jones on that list but not AJ Green? That's bonkers.

Agreed. Maybe because Green has Dalton? Still, i think people who are comparing Julio and AJ Green are on crack. I think AJ is easily a top 5 WR in this league right now and it will be a consensus after next year . Julio isn't even top 10 IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Griffen's position switch
7:29AM ET
Everson Griffen | Vikings

For the Indianapolis Colts, a switch from their four-man fronts to a defensive alignment that features more 3-4 looks means that DEs Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney will be moving to OLB. The Minnesota Vikings are making no such scheme switch, but that hasn't stopped them from changing one of their DEs to an OLB for this upcoming season.

The man in question is Everson Griffen, who some believed had first-round talent when he came out of USC in 2010, but who fell to the Vikes in the fourth round due to questions on his maturity and motivation. Buried on the club's depth chart behind Jared Allen and Brian Robison, Griffen has been told by the team that he'll be lining up as an LB from Day 1 of training camp, according to Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN. Griffen is on board with the move, and part of the reason is the fact that Allen and Robison rarely come off the field.

"That's what I'm looking at," Griffen said. "I'm looking [to] get on the field and show them what I can do and show them I can be an impact right away at linebacker."

ESPN NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert thinks they might as well give this a shot:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Kevin Seifert
The Vikings are smart to try to find alternative ways to get him on the field

"Perhaps Griffen will be of particular use in nickel and special packages when the Vikings are using only three down linemen. Or perhaps he could perform well as a roving standup defensive end. Whatever form it takes, there's nothing wrong with trying to get your best athletes onto the field."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2012 NFC offseason grades
Evaluating each team on how much it has improved via FA and the draft
Originally Published: July 10, 2012
By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

Robert Griffin III has given Washington Redskins fans something to be excited about for the future.

With NFL training camps beginning later this month, it's a perfect time to take a look back at what every team did this offseason. Did teams fill their needs in free agency? Did they re-sign key players on their team who were free agents? Did they plug any remaining holes in the draft?

To put it simply: Is every team better or worse than it was at the end of the 2011 season?

Continuing with the NFC (AFC on Monday), I've graded every team's offseason based on how well it acquired new talent and retained key parts in free agency, plus how well it drafted.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Philadelphia Eagles

Philadelphia Eagles' 2012 draft selections
Round Pick Position Player College

(1) 12 DT Fletcher Cox Mississippi State
(2) 46 LB Mychal Kendricks California
(2) 59 DE Vinny Curry Marshall
(3) 88 QB Nick Foles Arizona
(4) 123 CB Brandon Boykin Georgia
(5) 153 T Dennis Kelly Purdue
(6) 194 WR Marvin McNutt Iowa
(6) 200 G Brandon Washington Miami (FL)
(7) 229 RB Bryce Brown Kansas State

Key FA additions: ILB DeMeco Ryans, T Demetress Bell, S OJ Atogwe

Key FA losses: CB Asante Samuel, DT Trevor Laws, DE Juqua Parker, C Jamaal Jackson, T Winston Justice, WR Steve Smith, QB Vince Young, RB Ronnie Brown

Analysis: A year ago, everyone was raving about all the fantastic free-agent moves that Philadelphia made. But to me, this is the year they pay off, and the Eagles very well could end up as my pick to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

The Eagles did lose Jason Peters, who might have been the best offensive lineman in the NFL in 2011, to an Achilles injury, but I think the signing of Bell still leaves Philadelphia with one of the top five or ten offensive lines in the league. And the rest of this high-powered offense remains pretty much intact. Although wide receiver and guard were not pressing needs, the Eagles landed two very nice value picks late in the draft in Marvin McNutt and Brandon Washington. Yes, Michael Vick needs to stay healthy, but this will be his first true offseason since 2006 as the starting quarterback. I also expect Jeremy Maclin to explode in 2012.

But it's the Eagles' defense that has me so excited. It took far too long in 2011, but the Eagles look to have finally figured out the best way to use their defensive personnel, particularly their cover men. With the drafting of Fletcher Cox and Vinny Curry, I think that Philadelphia has the best defensive line in the NFL (edging out the Giants). Just think of the foursome the Eagles will field on throwing downs to rush the passer: Jason Babin and Trent Cole on the outside with Cox and Cullen Jenkins attacking up the middle. Plus, the line depth is just superb, so they should always be fresh.

Linebacker was a massive problem last season. While Ryans may no longer be a Pro Bowl-caliber 'backer, he does fit the Eagles' scheme much better than the 3-4 he comes from in Houston. In addition to Ryans, picking Mychal Kendricks (No. 46 overall) should yield immediate dividends on the outside with the rookie's great blend of explosion and speed.

The Eagles ignored the second level of their defense for years, but it looks as though they have improved it this offseason. While Philadelphia shipped out Samuel, who didn't fit their predominant press man coverage philosophy, the Eagles did find a true slot cornerback -- a position they didn't have a year ago -- in Brandon Boykin in the fourth round. Atogwe also could be a valuable reinforcement to the Eagles' volatile group of safeties.

This defense will be among the league's best in 2012. I expect Philadelphia to make good on the hype it received one year ago.

Grade: A

San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco 49ers' 2012 draft selections

(1) 30 WR A.J. Jenkins Illinois
(2) 61 RB LaMichael James Oregon
(4) 117 G Joe Looney Wake Forest
(5) 165 LB Darius Fleming Notre Dame
(6) 180 S Trent Robinson Michigan State
(6) 199 C Jason Slowey Western Oregon
(7) 237 LB Cam Johnson Virginia

Key FA additions: WR Mario Manningham, WR Randy Moss, RB Brandon Jacobs, QB Josh Johnson, CB Perrish Cox

Key FA losses: CB Shawntae Spencer, WR Josh Morgan, G Chilo Rachal, G Adam Snyder, S Madieu Williams

Analysis: The fact that San Francisco was able to bring back the league's best defense totally intact deserves a great grade in itself. I would really be shocked if the Niners didn't have one of the best defenses and special teams in the NFL once again in 2012. But this offseason was all about becoming more explosive on offense for San Francisco.

They took a quantity-over-quality approach to achieving that goal, and I expect Jim Harbaugh to add an up-tempo package to his once-conservative offense that includes a steady rotation of skill position players, ensuring that the 49ers are fresher than their opponent. But that doesn't mean that Harbaugh will drift away from his roots, which is being the most physical team on the field and stressing a running game.

Both of these very different philosophies can help Alex Smith, who came from a fast-paced spread attack in college. But the addition of speedsters like Moss, Manningham and rookie A.J. Jenkins also sets San Francisco up very well for when Colin Kaepernick takes over behind center, which I expect to happen much quicker than most believe. The addition of Jacobs, though, is the one that makes little sense to me.

One concern for the 49ers is that they didn't upgrade the right side of their offensive line, which I'm not a big believer in. Overall, though, San Francisco had a tremendous offseason and should be a contender in the NFC.

St. Louis Rams

St. Louis Rams' 2012 draft selections

(1) 14 DT Michael Brockers LSU
(2) 33 WR Brian Quick Appalachian State
(2) 39 CB Janoris Jenkins North Alabama
(2) 50 RB Isaiah Pead Cincinnati
(3) 65 CB Trumaine Johnson Montana
(4) 96 WR Chris Givens Wake Forest
(5) 150 T Rokevious Watkins South Carolina
(6) 171 K Greg Zuerlein Missouri Western
(7) 209 LB Aaron Brown Hawaii
(7) 252 RB Daryl Richardson Abilene Christian

Key FA additions: CB Cortland Finnegan, DT Kendall Langford, C Scott Wells, DE William Hayes, WR Steve Smith, OLB Rocky McIntosh, DT Trevor Laws, OLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar, T Barry Richardson, OLB Mario Haggan

Key FA losses: WR Brandon Lloyd, CB Ron Bartell, DE James Hall, DT Justin Bannan, DT Fred Robbins, G Jacob Bell, C Jason Brown, DT Gary Gibson, OLB Chris Chamberlain

Analysis: This is a much different team than when Jeff Fisher accepted the job as head coach … and I love what they have done.

St. Louis' defense is going to be much improved. The outside linebackers are still a weakness, but I like the safeties that are in place and the Rams are incredibly improved at the cornerback position. Finnegan was excellent in 2011, and he brings the attitude that Fisher desires to his new team. He also should take rookie Janoris Jenkins under his wing, which could result in one of the best cornerback pairings in the NFL before long. Trumaine Johnson was also a steal at the 65th pick overall to improve St. Louis' secondary. The Rams are going to have one of the best groups of defensive ends in the NFL, and the addition of Hayes shouldn't be overlooked as an exceptional third end behind Chris Long and Robert Quinn. He is a better player against the run than Long or Quinn. With the purging of veteran defensive tackles and the additions of Langford, the pesky Laws and rookie Michael Brockers, the Rams' defensive line is young and should be superb in the very near future.

On the offensive line, St. Louis will have to live with its young tackles (Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold) for now, but the Rams should be much improved on the interior -- and the tackles could certainly rebound. While I like rookie Isaiah Pead to backup Steven Jackson and immediately complement his running style, the passing game here still gives me pause. Sam Bradford can be great, but he needs to regain some confidence and stay healthy. Plus, who is going to emerge from this huge pile of young Rams' pass-catchers? Rookies Brian Quick and Chris Givens are quality additions, but this unit needed a stud veteran instead of more unknown youngsters.

But in the end, the huge key to the Rams' offseason will come in the bounty of draft picks they secured from Washington going forward. The pieces are in place for a true rebuild here.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Chicago Bears

Chicago Bears' 2012 draft selections

(1) 19 DE Shea McClellin Boise State
(2) 45 WR Alshon Jeffery South Carolina
(3) 79 S Brandon Hardin Oregon State
(4) 111 FB Evan Rodriguez Temple
(6) 184 CB Isaiah Frey Nevada
(7) 220 CB Greg McCoy TCU

Key FA additions: WR Brandon Marshall, RB Michael Bush, KR Eric Weems, QB Jason Campbell, G Chilo Rachal, OLB Geno Hayes, WR Devin Thomas

Key FA losses: S Brandon Meriweather, DT Amobi Okoye, CB Corey Graham, DT Anthony Adams, G Frank Omiyale, QB Caleb Hanie, RB Marion Barber

Analysis: The Matt Forte situation still lingers for Chicago, but the Bears are building for now. They are looking to make a run at a championship and they are catering to what Jay Cutler does best instead of forcing him to play in the Mike Martz scheme. Cutler is a great quarterback, but he needs big wideouts like Marshall and rookie Alshon Jeffery to go up and get the football for him, because when he gets into trouble, Cutler will trust his receivers to make plays. And if they don't, that interception total will rise quickly. Remember, Mike Tice was the head coach in Minnesota when they had their "Randy Ratio" -- the Bears could do the same to ensure Marshall a high number of targets. Also expect the tight ends, namely Kellen Davis, to get much more involved.

Last year when Cutler and Forte went down, so did the Bears' season. By adding Campbell and Bush, the Bears now feature one of the best backup quarterbacks and running backs in the league. While this offense looks very potent, the offensive line remains very worrisome. Tackle Gabe Carimi returns, and the scheme change should make a drastic difference, as Tice surely will not put his linemen in as many difficult situations as Martz did. But I still question the quality of the players Chicago has in the trenches on this side of the ball.

The Bears value special teams maybe more than any other team in the league. Adding specialists like Weems and Thomas in free agency further helps a stellar overall group in the kicking game -- and makes up for the loss of Graham. They also brought back Israel Idonije to play defensive end opposite Julius Peppers, but Idonije is best suited for early-down work only. Enter first-round pick Shea McClellin, who should provide an immediate spark as an edge rusher and could possibly contribute some as a strongside linebacker in Chicago's Cover 2 defense. Rookie Brandon Hardin has more athletic ability than the Bears' 2011 safeties.

The Bears didn't lose much this season and the addition of Marshall, a true No. 1 receiver, will boost this offense. This team isn't far away, and if the offensive line can hold up, they will be a contender after a strong offseason.

Grade: B+

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 2012 draft selections

(1) 7 S Mark Barron Alabama
(1) 31 RB Doug Martin Boise State
(2) 58 LB Lavonte David Nebraska
(5) 140 LB Najee Goode West Virginia
(6) 174 CB Keith Tandy West Virginia
(7) 212 RB Michael Smith Utah State
(7) 233 TE Drake Dunsmore Northwestern

Key FA additions: G Carl Nicks, WR Vincent Jackson, CB Eric Wright, TE Dallas Clark, DT Amobi Okoye, QB Dan Orlovsky, DT Wallace Gilberry, DT Gary Gibson

Key FA losses: TE Kellen Winslow, OLB Geno Hayes, S Tanard Jackson, QB Josh Johnson, C Jeff Faine, S Sean Jones

Analysis: The Buccaneers made a lot of much-needed big moves this offseason. The 2011 version of this squad was far too young, unreliable and immature -- which stemmed partially from the front office taking too many chances on players with character concerns. While the team remains young, with Greg Schiano at the helm, discipline will not be overlooked.

The Bucs are going to get back to basics, which mean a heavy dose of the running game. Rookie Doug Martin should be instant contributor, and Nicks should help pave the way for this running game, while also improving the line to help Josh Freeman take shots deep to Jackson -- often off play-action -- when defenses are keying on the run. Also, while Luke Stocker should be taking over as the every-down tight end, the difference between Winslow and Clark is minimal if health isn't an issue. Both can still exploit most linebackers in coverage, but they aren't what they once were in this capacity. The difference is that Clark, like Nicks and Jackson, has won a lot of football games at this level -- and that is especially important to such a young club that has shown immaturity in the very recent past. This offense should be vastly improved.

While I like rookies Mark Barron and Lavonte David quite a bit, I still have major questions about the defensive side of the ball. Okoye and Gilberry are under-the-radar signings that could pay off, especially on passing downs, but it's still hard to know what Tampa Bay has in Gerald McCoy and Brian Price. Can they stay on the field?

Overall, Tampa Bay got noticeably better this offseason, but to me, this rebuilding project is more than a one-year project. A year from now, the Bucs could a contender. But Tampa Bay must get Freeman back on track. He has the potential to be a top QB in the league and he is clearly the key to Tampa Bay's future. By the offseason moves, it looks like the front office and Schiano recognize that.

Washington Redskins

Washington Redskins' 2012 draft selections

(1) 2 QB Robert Griffin III Baylor
(3) 71 G Josh LeRibeus SMU
(4) 102 QB Kirk Cousins Michigan State
(4) 119 LB Keenan Robinson Texas
(5) 141 G Adam Gettis Iowa
(6) 173 RB Alfred Morris Florida Atlantic
(6) 193 T Tom Compton South Dakota
(7) 213 CB Richard Crawford SMU
(7) 217 CB Jordan Bernstine Iowa

Key FA additions: WR Pierre Garcon, WR Josh Morgan, S Brandon Meriweather, CB Cedric Griffin, ILB Jonathan Goff, K Neil Rackers, S Madieu Williams

Key FA losses: S LaRon Landry, S OJ Atogwe, OLB Rocky McIntosh, T Sean Locklear, WR Donte' Stallworth, FB Mike Sellers

Analysis: This one is very simple: It's all about Robert Griffin III. He can be a difference-maker as a rookie, and under Mike Shanahan's tutelage could be an elite QB sooner rather than later. Personally, I would be shocked if Griffin wasn't a huge success, so the steep price that the Redskins paid to acquire him is well worth it in my book.

Because of the deal with St. Louis (and the NFL-imposed penalty), the Redskins were stripped of a big chunk of their cap money, which really put them in a bind. Washington still added some pieces, most notably at wide receiver, but the contract it signed Garcon to is very steep -- I question if he can handle the rigors of being a No. 1 wideout. Still, without question, the Redskins have much better receiving options now than they did for the 2011 season. And we know that Shanahan will have an effective ground game, which will remain the foundation of this offense and make Griffin's transition to the NFL easier. I still have concerns about the Redskins' offensive line, but they did use three draft picks to help that area of need and Shanahan has consistently mined productive linemen out of the middle rounds for his zone blocking scheme.

On the defensive side of the ball, Washington looks to be very strong in the front seven. There wasn't much change there, but change isn't always a good thing. However, the secondary could have used a richer influx of talent and remains a question mark overall, after losing both Landry and Otogwe.

In the end, the Redskins get a high offseason grade just for their acquisition of Griffin. If he doesn't pan out, this grade will sink … fast.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys' 2012 draft selections

(1) 6 CB Morris Claiborne LSU
(3) 81 DE Tyrone Crawford Boise State
(4) 113 LB Kyle Wilber Wake Forest
(4) 135 S Matt Johnson Eastern Washington
(5) 152 WR Danny Coale Virginia Tech
(6) 186 TE James Hanna Oklahoma
(7) 222 LB Caleb McSurdy Montana

Key FA additions: CB Brandon Carr, ILB Dan Connor, G Nate Livings, QB Kyle Orton, G Mackenzy Bernadeau, S Brodney Pool, FB Lawrence Vickers

Key FA losses: WR Laurent Robinson, TE Martellus Bennett, G Kyle Kosier, CB Terence Newman, S Abram Elam, ILB Bradie James, FB Tony Fiammetta, K David Buehler

Analysis: Like Washington, Dallas was hit with a steep salary cap penalty, which greatly impacted its ability to improve its roster through free agency. One thing is certain, though: The Cowboys' cornerbacks look to be incredibly improved with the addition of Carr in free agency followed by an aggressive draft day trade up to secure Claiborne at No. 6, a potential shutdown corner. Teaming those two with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick should allow Rob Ryan to finally trust his cover men, resulting in much more aggressive defensive play-calling from a pressure and blitz standpoint. There is a chance that Jenkins is traded before the season, but the Cowboys could still use a lot of nickel personnel (even on early downs) considering the wealth they now have at corner.

Staying on the defensive side of the ball, Dallas also now looks stacked at inside linebacker. Sean Lee is already a great player, but Bruce Carter, a great talent, could be due for a breakout season. Plus, the Cowboys signed Lee's college teammate, Connor, as insurance. Connor is a very solid two-down player who excels versus the run.

The Cowboys' defense has clearly improved, while the offense remains explosive and has plenty of high-end talent. Don't overlook the addition of Orton as Tony Romo's backup, giving the Cowboys one of the best backup quarterbacks in the league. But there are two considerable holes on this side of the ball. With Robinson leaving for Jacksonville and Coale's injury in mini-camp, Dallas has very little at wide receiver behind Miles Austin and Dez Bryant. That limits the personnel packages the Cowboys can feature. Also, while the Cowboys brought in interior offensive linemen in free agency, I don't think any of those guys are upgrades or the answer -- and Bernadeau recently had hip surgery. However, new offensive coordinator Bill Callahan is one of the top offensive line minds in the NFL.

The Cowboys needed an infusion of youth on the defensive line and at tight end, so the additions of Crawford and Hanna made sense, but Dallas' draft class outside of Claiborne wasn't very impressive.

Grade: B

Seattle Seahawks

Seattle Seahawks' 2012 draft selections

(1) 15 DE Bruce Irvin West Virginia
(2) 47 LB Bobby Wagner Utah State
(3) 75 QB Russell Wilson Wisconsin
(4) 106 RB Robert Turbin Utah State
(4) 114 DT Jaye Howard Florida
(5) 154 LB Korey Toomer Idaho
(6) 172 CB Jeremy Lane Northwestern State
(6) 181 CB Winston Guy Kentucky
(7) 225 DT J.R. Sweezy North Carolina State
(7) 232 DE Greg Scruggs Louisville

Key FA additions: QB Matt Flynn, DT Jason Jones, TE Kellen Winslow, G Frank Omiyale, G Deuce Lutui, ILB Barrett Ruud

Key FA losses: ILB David Hawthorne, TE John Carlson, G Robert Gallery, CB Marcus Trufant, QB Charlie Whitehurst, RB Justin Forsett, DE Anthony Hargrove

Analysis: The Seahawks are going to have a top-three defense and they are improved at quarterback. Maybe Irvin wasn't worth the 15th overall pick in the draft, but that doesn't mean that he can't get double-digit sacks opposite Chris Clemons (with Jones rushing from the interior on throwing downs) and eventually take over for Clemons down the line. Throw in Wagner with K.J. Wright, behind an exceptional defensive line and with one of the very best secondaries in the league and scoring on the Seahawks is going to be very difficult.

Offensively, they did improve at the game's most important position, but I am predicting that Flynn is just keeping the position warm for Wilson, who will grab the starting quarterback job before long. Wilson is just too good of a football player to play a backup role. Meanwhile, this team will run the ball and try to win low-scoring games. There are weapons here, but the offensive line is mediocre on a good day. Sidney Rice and Russell Okung must stay healthy for the Seahawks to score enough points to win consistently.

Grade: B

Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers' 2012 draft selections
(1) 9 LB Luke Kuechly Boston College
(2) 40 G Amini Silatolu Midwestern State
(4) 103 DE Frank Alexander Oklahoma
(4) 104 WR Joe Adams Arkansas
(5) 143 CB Josh Norman Coastal Carolina
(6) 207 P Brad Nortman Wisconsin
(7) 216 S D.J. Campbell California

Key FA additions: RB Mike Tolbert, S Haruki Nakamura, G Bruce Campbell

Key FA losses: G Geoff Schwartz, ILB Dan Connor, RB Mike Goodson, G Travelle Wharton, G Mackenzy Bernadeau, WR Legedu Naanee

Analysis: The offseason before the 2011 season was Carolina's spending spree. This year, the Panthers did very little in free agency. But their draft class could help the team immediately and the maturation of young players like Cam Newton could certainly turn the Panthers into a team ready to contend for the NFC South crown.

Schwartz and Connor are quality players that are no longer on the squad, but in my opinion Carolina upgraded over both players with the early draft selections of Silatolu and Kuechly. If Jeff Otah returns to full health at right tackle, the Panthers will have one of the best -- and most rugged -- offensive lines in the NFL.

Carolina should also have one of the best running games in the league. Having a running quarterback like Newton helps but this line has a chance to be exceptional and the Panthers have a fantastic stable of running backs. Replacing Goodson with Tolbert gives the Panthers a different type of player (more physical and versatile) at the position, but few teams have ball-carrying options like Carolina. David Gettis returns from injury to potentially challenge for a starting role opposite Steve Smith. Gettis' field stretching ability is his best asset and Newton can drive the ball deep downfield. With a heavy Chargers influence from head coach Ron Rivera, expect Carolina to throw the ball deep downfield more going forward, often off play action. Adams has slot receiver quickness and size, which has been a missing element of this passing attack as well.

On defense, Carolina is counting on Ron Edwards' return from injury to stabilize what was a very young group of defensive tackles in 2011 and help protect one of the best groups of linebackers in football. Alexander should factor in a rotation at defensive end as a backup to Charles Johnson and potential breakout player Greg Hardy, while Norman could be a steal at CB in the fifth round.

While the Panthers' moves in free agency were less than overwhelming, they have a great shot to Carolina to win the very difficult NFC South.

Grade: C+

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Minnesota Vikings

Minnesota Vikings' 2012 draft selections

(1) 4 T Matt Kalil USC
(1) 29 S Harrison Smith Notre Dame
(3) 66 CB Josh Robinson Central Florida
(4) 118 WR Jarius Wright Arkansas
(4) 128 FB Rhett Ellison USC
(4) 134 WR Greg Childs Arkansas
(5) 139 CB Robert Blanton Notre Dame
(6) 175 K Blair Walsh Georgia
(7) 210 LB Audie Cole North Carolina State
(7) 219 DT Trevor Guyton California

Key FA additions: G Geoff Schwartz, WR Jerome Simpson, TE John Carlson, CB Chris Carr

Key FA losses: G Steve Hutchinson, G Anthony Herrera, CB Cedric Griffin, DT Remi Ayodele, TE Jim Kleinsasser, S Tyrell Johnson, K Ryan Longwell

Analysis: Call me crazy, but I really like the Vikings' offense now -- and for the future. I can't say the same about the defense, but that should be next year's offseason priority.

On the offensive side of the ball, I was a believer in Christian Ponder coming out of Florida State a year ago. While Ponder was very up and down as a rookie, my feelings haven't changed on him. And now, with the additions of Kalil and Schwartz, the Vikings should have a very good starting offensive line with the vastly underrated John Sullivan anchoring it in the middle. Adrian Peterson's health is clearly a major issue, but the way I see it, Minnesota isn't going to win the Super Bowl in 2012, so why rush him back? Peterson remains a foundation of this offense for the foreseeable future, even if that means he is not much of a factor in 2012. Whenever Peterson does return, the line should be established and Ponder will have a wealth of up-and-coming receivers to throw to, namely Percy Harvin, Kyle Rudolph, Simpson, Wright, Childs and Carlson.

On the other hand, Minnesota's defense is an issue. The awful secondary from 2011 should be better for the long term (drafting of Smith, Robinson and Blanton) and short term (return of Chris Cook from suspension and Antoine Winfield from injury), but there going to be some serious growing pains in a division that features Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler.

While I will pick the Vikings to finish last in their division, they might not be as far away as many tend to think. After another draft where they select high to improve the defense, and a year of seasoning on offense, Minnesota could start to make some noise.

New York Giants

New York Giants' 2012 draft selections

(1) 32 RB David Wilson Virginia Tech
(2) 63 WR Rueben Randle LSU
(3) 94 CB Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech
(4) 127 TE Adrien Robinson Cincinnati
(4) 131 T Brandon Mosley Auburn
(6) 201 T Matt McCants UAB
(7) 239 DT Markus Kuhn North Carolina State

Key FA additions: DT Shaun Rogers, TE Martellus Bennett, ILB Keith Rivers, T Sean Locklear

Key FA losses: WR Mario Manningham, CB Aaron Ross, RB Brandon Jacobs, TE Jake Ballard, ILB Jonathan Goff, DE Dave Tollefson, WR Devin Thomas

Analysis: The Super Bowl champions selected offensive skill position players with three of their first four draft picks. That is somewhat curious when considering how much their offensive line struggled during the 2011 season and Locklear, a below-average starting right tackle, was their only reinforcement up front added in free agency. They do now have some young offensive tackles, but someone from that group really needs to step up. (My pick would be James Brewer.)

The Giants' tight end position was decimated with injuries and then Ballard was claimed by New England, so that really opens the door for Bennett, a big-bodied blocker with some receiving ability, and the fourth-rounder Robinson, who I have high hopes for down the road. Wilson, with his pure speed and electricity as a runner, looks to be the heir apparent at RB to Ahmad Bradshaw, who is consistently dealing with foot ailments, and Randle might simply be the best value pick by any team in the draft and fits perfectly with New York's deep passing attack. Randle also fills a considerable need at WR with Manningham bolting for San Francisco and Hakeem Nicks suffering an offseason injury that could limit him to start the season.

On defense, I like the high-reward/low-risk moves of signing Rogers and trading for Rivers. Rogers can still be dominant in spurts if he is fresh and motivated. With the Giants' fantastic defensive line rotation, Rogers couldn't be in a better place to fulfill his vast potential. There is still potential there with Rivers too, a former high draft pick who has battled injuries, including a broken wrist in 2011 that ended his season before it began. A change of scenery could do him a lot of good. And again, the Giants didn't invest much to land either one of these defenders, even though the payoff could be substantial. New York hopes Hosley, their third-round pick, is an upgrade over Ross at CB, which very well could be the case.

Arizona Cardinals

Arizona Cardinals' 2012 draft selections

(1) 13 WR Michael Floyd Notre Dame
(3) 80 CB Jamell Fleming Oklahoma
(4) 112 T Bobby Massie Mississippi
(5) 151 T Senio Kelemete Washington
(6) 177 CB Justin Bethel Presbyterian
(6) 185 QB Ryan Lindley San Diego State
(7) 221 T Nate Potter Boise State

Key FA additions: CB William Gay, G Adam Snyder

Key FA losses: CB Richard Marshall, G Rex Hadnot, G Deuce Lutui, S Sean Considine

Analysis: In terms of veteran movement in free agency, the Cardinals had very little whatsoever. And status quo isn't good for this organization in a division that is getting increasingly more difficult.

However, the Cardinals defense got much better as the 2011 season went along and I love their skill position players on offense with the addition of Floyd, TE Rob Housler's maturation this year and RB Ryan Williams returning from injury. The drafting of Floyd also should allow Andre Roberts to work from the slot, where he could excel. I also liked the selection of Lindley in the sixth round. Considering his competition at quarterback, there's a chance he's the starter down the line. But even though the Cardinals made some fine value picks with offensive linemen and with Lindley, the questions up front and at quarterback are massive.

Adding Gay and Fleming makes Arizona's secondary deep -- and the Cardinals can get away with average starting talent on the back end since Patrick Peterson is on the cusp of becoming the second-best cornerback in football behind Darrelle Revis. The Cardinals didn't have the cap room to make a big splash in free agency, but they seemed to tread water as the Seahawks, Rams and 49ers took steps forward in the NFC West.

Grade: C