• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4_9_E_R_S!!!!! ESPN Refugee BS Thread

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks guys....

feeling real good now...

glad to see our boys tremendous efforts and play in youtube clips...

since there aren't any SB clips from the 2012 season to share with our niners....

yep.... still stinging.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]jV-IqEmmNu0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Changes at TE for Redskins
1:59PM ET
Washington Redskins

Last year, the Washington Redskins drafted wide receiver Niles Paul in the fifth round. He didn't see a lot of action outside of special teams in 2011, but apparently he impressed the coaching staff enough with his blocking skills that they plan to move him to tight end this year, according to the Washington Post's Mike Jones.

"Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I'd feel about switching to tight end," Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. "I told him, 'I'll play wherever you want me.' I've done everything I've been asked, and I'll keep doing it. I'm excited about the position change. I'm excited that coach has enough respect for me that he'd call me to ask me what I thought about it."

Fred Davis is their top option entering this season, but there are plenty of questions about former Redskins' No. 1 TE Chris Cooley. One concern is whether he can stay healthy after missing all but five games last season, especially as he turns 30 this summer. The other, more immediate issue, as noted by ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano, is Cooley's price tag for 2012:

- Tom Carpenter​

Dan Graziano
Cooley, Paul and the Redskins TE situation

"The Redskins like Cooley and love to be able to run two-tight end sets that help set the perimeter for the offense. But they do have salary-cap concerns, in large part because they're losing $18 million in cap room each of the next two years as punishment from the league for their spending behavior in 2010, and $6.23 million is a lot for Cooley if he can't get on the field. They could ask him to take a pay cut or restructure, but their leverage in such a negotiation would be limited if they didn't have another option for replacing him. Cooley is also a candidate to be cut, in which case, obviously, the team would like to have replacement options."

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changes at TE for Redskins
1:59PM ET
Washington Redskins

Last year, the Washington Redskins drafted wide receiver Niles Paul in the fifth round. He didn't see a lot of action outside of special teams in 2011, but apparently he impressed the coaching staff enough with his blocking skills that they plan to move him to tight end this year, according to the Washington Post's Mike Jones.

"Coach gave me a call earlier this offseason and asked me how I'd feel about switching to tight end," Paul said in a phone interview Friday morning. "I told him, 'I'll play wherever you want me.' I've done everything I've been asked, and I'll keep doing it. I'm excited about the position change. I'm excited that coach has enough respect for me that he'd call me to ask me what I thought about it."

Fred Davis is their top option entering this season, but there are plenty of questions about former Redskins' No. 1 TE Chris Cooley. One concern is whether he can stay healthy after missing all but five games last season, especially as he turns 30 this summer. The other, more immediate issue, as noted by ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano, is Cooley's price tag for 2012:

- Tom Carpenter​

Dan Graziano
Cooley, Paul and the Redskins TE situation

"The Redskins like Cooley and love to be able to run two-tight end sets that help set the perimeter for the offense. But they do have salary-cap concerns, in large part because they're losing $18 million in cap room each of the next two years as punishment from the league for their spending behavior in 2010, and $6.23 million is a lot for Cooley if he can't get on the field. They could ask him to take a pay cut or restructure, but their leverage in such a negotiation would be limited if they didn't have another option for replacing him. Cooley is also a candidate to be cut, in which case, obviously, the team would like to have replacement options."

Wrong thread huh lol.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I had this dream I was watching the Niners' first game of next season, and Mike Iupati was playing NT. He was shedding like 3 or 4 blockers at a time.

My sleeping brain confused a couple long haired 49er beasts IMO.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I had this dream I was watching the Niners' first game of next season, and Mike Iupati was playing NT. He was shedding like 3 or 4 blockers at a time.

My sleeping brain confused a couple long haired 49er beasts IMO.

...uhhh...where are the cheerleaders?

Wrong kind of long hair me-thinks?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
pbtr7onzpptg.gif

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Anthony Davis, but this guy was my favorite OT in 2010. We should have stayed put and select him if we wanted a tackle that bad

Bulaga sliding to LT?
8:59AM ET
Bryan Bulaga | Packers

Following the Green Bay Packers' release of long-time starting LT Chad Clifton, the team is left with the problem of finding a replacement from their trio of young OTs, Marshall Newhouse, Derek Sherrod and Bryan Bulaga. And we can all but officially cross one name off the list.

"I don't see any reason to go down that road," Packers HC Mike McCarthy said of moving Bulaga over to LT, per the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "I think Bryan is on the verge of being a Pro Bowler at right tackle. He looks great."

As for the other two, McCarthy indicated that it will be a competition between 2010 fifth-rounder Newhouse and 2011 first-rounder Sherrod.

- Tim Kavanagh​

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
...I think we've officially wandered into the post-draft desert of the NFL offseason. :(

[YOUTUBE]iIIuR-HjFho[/YOUTUBE]

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another team interested in Braylon?
8:45AM ET
Braylon Edwards | 49ers

After the San Francisco 49ers released Braylon Edwards prior to the end of the 2011 season, he did not catch on elsewhere, a testament perhaps to a slow recovery from a knee injury. The bulk of the free agent class has landed with a team already this offseason, but Edwards and some other notable names remain in play. Recently, there have been reports of some interest on the part of the New York Jets in the Michigan product, but nothing has been consummated as yet.

On Monday's episode of "NFL Live" on ESPN, our NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that the Cincinnati Bengals have also expressed some interest in Edwards. The Bengals added Mohamed Sanu during the draft as a potential running mate for A.J. Green, but the veteran options on the roster are not as accomplished as Edwards. If healthy, he could certainly step in and play a key role for this team.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL's most pivotal players in 2012
Mark Sanchez, Doug Martin among players vital to their teams' success
Originally Published: May 10, 2012
By Bill Polian | ESPN Insider

Can Mark Sanchez succeed as quarterback of the New York Jets?

To be a true Super Bowl contender, a team must have its key contributors performing at a very high level. Should they fall short of that expected performance, it's almost inevitable that disappointment will follow.

This season, there are a number of pivotal players who haven't performed up to the elite level required to make their teams legitimate title threats -- yet. Here's a look at 10 key players who, given a leap in performance, could make their teams serious contenders in 2012:

1. Mark Sanchez, QB, New York Jets

Sanchez has endured more scrutiny in the past two seasons than most players in their entire careers. That speaks to the pressure cooker that is the quarterback position in a major market like New York, but it also speaks to his essential role in making the Jets into the Super Bowl threat their coach believes them to be.

I believe Sanchez has the tools to be a successful NFL quarterback, but he needs room to grow, and I wonder if he'll ever find that room with the Jets. It's a tough road to grow as a QB in the NFL, and the Jets' situation makes it even more difficult for Sanchez. And I'm not even talking about trading for Tim Tebow, who I do not believe will threaten Sanchez's status as a starter.

In terms of reaching his potential, Sanchez faces a very high degree of difficulty because of the Jets' approach. Rex Ryan wants to "ground and pound" the ball. That means running the ball up to 35 times per game (ideally with a lead), controlling the clock and playing solid defense. But inevitably there will be times when the Jets need to throw the ball, whether it's when trailing late in a game or when facing third-and-long. The similarity that both of those situations have in common is that the defense knows exactly what's coming. By only utilizing Sanchez as a passer when he must be one, the difficulty escalates because the defense has a good sense of what's coming. If you take away the element of surprise, you're handicapping your QB's chances of success.

For the Jets to achieve their Super Bowl goal, Sanchez must continue to grow. But for him to improve under the circumstances mentioned above, it'll be a high hurdle.

2. Doug Martin, RB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

QB Josh Freeman could certainly stand to improve from last season, but I believe the most important player to potential big-time success in Tampa is Martin. I base this off the way new coach Greg Schiano operated at Rutgers.

Martin has to be Ray Rice. Last season's workhorse, RB LeGarrette Blount, was a battering ram, but he did not stay healthy and had some fumbles, something Schiano noted this offseason. Martin has more shake-and-bake to his game, and he can be effective on passing downs. Not only can Martin catch the ball out of the backfield, but he also knows how to block from his time at Boise State.

A solid running game will take pressure off Freeman and give his bolstered WR corps space to operate. When Schiano was at Rutgers, Rice was the key to the Scarlet Knights' success … and they didn't have a QB anywhere near as good as Freeman.

3. Nick Fairley, DT, Detroit Lions

Fairley could be the missing piece in making the Detroit defense dominant. If the big Auburn alum can reach his potential, a trio of him, Ndamukong Suh and the emerging Corey Williams could make the Lions' D-line extremely hard to handle up the middle and wreak havoc on the pocket (which will help an improving secondary).

I still think the Lions need more from the running back position to be legitimate title contenders, but if Fairley steps up, an already improved defense will be taken to another level.

Matt Schaub must stay healthy if the Texans want to make a run.4. Matt Schaub, QB, Houston Texans

Schaub has been injury prone and has never won in the playoffs, and there have been times when -- by design -- the Texans have taken the ball out of his hands. With Arian Foster in the backfield, the Texans can absolutely run the ball, and the defense became one of the NFL's best under Wade Phillips. But if you want to win a Super Bowl, there will be times when you need your QB to win games for you. You only need to look back to the Texans' loss to Baltimore last postseason to find an example of that. Schaub was sidelined for that game, of course, which leads me to say that Schaub's most important ability in 2012 will be his availability.

5. Torrey Smith, WR, Baltimore Ravens

You can make an argument that the Ravens will need a big contribution from whoever replaces Terrell Suggs, but the defense in Baltimore is not the problem. Between Sergio Kindle, Courtney Upshaw and Paul Kruger, the Ravens will find an answer on that side of the ball. The offense, however, needs a deep threat in the passing game, and Smith is the guy best suited to fill that role.

For years the air attack has not been as reliable as the other facets of the team, and if Smith can be consistent catching the ball and making plays downfield, it will be the last piece in an otherwise well-rounded contender. The Ravens seem to believe in him since they didn't address their receiving corps in draft. They did sign Jacoby Jones in free agency, however, and he could add another speed element.

6. Chris Hairston, OT, Buffalo Bills

It could ultimately be another lineman at left tackle for the Bills, but I'm assuming it will be Hairston. Whoever it is will have to step up and keep QB Ryan Fitzpatrick upright. Buffalo is thin under center and has no one else who can play at Fitzpatrick's level if he's injured. If that happens, the offense is going to have a very hard time staying on the field and an upgraded defense featuring DE Mario Williams will get worn down in a hurry.

7. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons

Considering the price they paid to acquire him, the Falcons better hope that Jones can become a star. To make the Falcons' offense truly explosive, Jones must become a consistent big-play threat opposite Roddy White. Defensive efficiency is yet to be determined as Mike Nolan implements his scheme, but Atlanta can put a lot of points on the board if opposing DBs must divide their attention between White and Jones, who has big-time breakout potential.

8. Ryan Mathews, RB, San Diego Chargers

When the Chargers were at their best in recent years, they were driven by the performance of LaDainian Tomlinson. QB Philip Rivers and his new receivers will need time to get on the same page, and Mathews will need to buy that time for them. He can't fumble (he had five last season), and he must improve in the passing game, not just as a receiver (50 receptions for 455 yards in 2011) but also as a blocker.

For the Chargers to reach their potential, Mathews has to be as consistently explosive as LT was. After all, they envisioned him as LT's successor when they took him at No. 12 overall in the 2010 draft.

9. Ziggy Hood/Cameron Heyward, DEs, Pittsburgh Steelers

There is going to be a changing of the guard in Pittsburgh, but it starts up front. Casey Hampton is aging, Aaron Smith is gone, and Brett Keisel isn't getting any younger. Elsewhere, defensive mainstays like Troy Polamalu and James Harrison aren't getting any younger, either, so the defensive line has to step up.

I mentioned Heyward as one of my cornerstone picks in my three-year draft evaluations. I believe he has room to grow even though I already think he's part of the backbone of the Steelers' D. Hood is similarly gifted with potential. For the Steelers to stay among the league's elite, those two will need to be as reliable as ever.

10. WRs, San Francisco 49ers

I'm cheating a little bit here because the 49ers' passing game needs to improve and there are a few potential candidates, but not a clear-cut option. Heading into the season, it's hard to tell who will emerge here, but someone must in order for the Niners to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

They have an excellent TE in Vernon Davis and Jim Harbaugh's offense can utilize him wonderfully, but the Niners need a second option. I don't know if it can be Randy Moss. When I last saw him in action for Tennessee, it didn't appear he had much burst left, but even if he did, Moss is a receiver who built his career out of using his speed and height to haul in deep balls from big-armed QBs. I don't think he can simply reinvent himself as a possession receiver. Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham or even 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins are better suited to take the San Francisco passing attack to the next level.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have been thinking about this for some time now...and I think that Peterson should sit out this year IMO. If I was the owner or GM I'd take that approach with AP for many reasons.

I am agreeing with everything this author is saying in this article, except for this part:

I'm not going to suggest the Vikings should hold Peterson out of the lineup once he's medically cleared. But in the big picture, there seems to be every reason to take it as slow as possible. If Peterson can avoid some wear and tear during a rebuilding season, wouldn't that help the Vikings in the long-term?

Like I stated earlier, I'd look at the big picture in weighing the pros and cons of playing him this year, and I have now determined that it wouldn't be wise to play him in 2012. Anyway, here's the article:

Adrian Peterson in the context of rebuilding - NFC North Blog - ESPN

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So totally randumb observation:

The 1993 Dallas Cowboys' offensive Guard depth chart looked like this:

Nate Newton, Larry Allen, Kevin Gogan, Derek Kennard and Ron freekin' Stone. Wow.

Realized that when I was trying to figure out if Tennessee Center James Stone has any relation to Ron.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Giants DE chides Eagles RB
Updated: May 13, 2012, 4:00 PM ET
By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPN

Osi Umenyiora apparently isn't ready to let his feud with LeSean McCoy die down.

On Mother's Day, the New York Giants defensive end tweeted, "Happy Mothers Day Lesean Mccoy! Enjoy your special day!!"

“Happy Mothers Day Lesean Mccoy! Enjoy your special day!! ”
-- Tweet from Giants DE Osi Umenyiora

Last summer, Umenyiora referred to the Eagles running back as "Lady Gaga" and "she" after McCoy tweeted that the defensive end is "overrated" and "soft" and the third-best defensive lineman on the Giants.

On Sunday, McCoy tweeted, "Lol let the beef begin."

Umenyiora recently joined Twitter and it didn't take him long to take a jab at McCoy. Umenyiora later tweeted to former teammate Brandon Jacobs, "u know the beef is never over. Never."

Umenyiora has said that he and McCoy have been going at each other for a long time, but the Eagles running back really drew his ire last summer with the "overrated" and "soft" tweets, which was in reference to news about Umenyiora's affidavit about general manager Jerry Reese allegedly promising him a raise as part of the players' lawsuit against the NFL during the lockout.

"I refer to him as she because that is something that a woman would do," Umenyiora told ESPNNewYork.com last June. "You can sit over there and be a Twitter gangster all you want to but on the football field is where you are supposed to address these types of things."

"I have always referred to him as that because he is woman," Umenyiora continued. "We have a lot of animosity toward each other personally and on the football field is where I thought it was left. But he has decided to take it off the football field and say some things that I just have no respect for."