• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers want Irvin?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmm. Another situational pass rusher for next years defense? I wouldn't be upset with that.

if he pans out one of the NFL best (say annual top 10), its ok. but do we need to spend 30th overall for a situational player? can we draft one round 2 or sign a FA like Laboy?

cause wouldn't we prefer to draft an every down player? i would.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he pans out one of the NFL best (say annual top 10), its ok. but do we need to spend 30th overall for a situational player? can we draft one round 2 or sign a FA like Laboy?

cause wouldn't we prefer to draft an every down player? i would.

Personally, I'd prefer drafting an offensive player @ 30. WR, RG/C, RB.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin - DL - Player

According to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin was told by a team in the bottom third of the draft order that he will be picked in the first round.
Thesidelineview.com's Lance Zierlein hears the 49ers are the "promise team" for Irvin in the first. It's a bit of surprise that San Francisco would go defense early, but pass rushers carry as much value as any position save quarterback. Per ESPN 710 Seattle's Liz Mathews, the Seahawks have also been interested, though not in the first round after Irvin's March arrest for destruction of property.
Related: Seahawks, 49ers
Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter
Apr 26 - 1:12 PM

God, I hope that's not true. They don't need a pass rusher with both Smiths already in the fold.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seahawks liked him enough to take him high, cool one more player moves down to us

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so what's the deal? do you think we blew it by telling irvin we were taking him and the seahawks decided to grab him early instead of wait til the 2nd?

or did we pull a fast one on pete and scare him into reaching and wasting a pick he could have taken in the 2nd?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was smokescreen if Harbs isn't fibbing about the tale of the envelope.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tale of the envelope???

Maiocco:

Jim Harbaugh: GM Trent Baalke wrote "AJ Jenkins" and put it in envelope last night. He was guy 49ers targeted in that spot.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin - DL - Seahawks

Per CBS Sports' Rob Rang, the 49ers, Jets, and Ravens all would have taken Bruce Irvin in the first round had he made it to their pick.
Those are some pretty good-drafting teams. Profootballtalk.com reported late Thursday that as many as seven teams had Irvin as a top-15 overall player on their draft boards. The Irvin pick has been panned as a reach, and ESPN's Mel Kiper called it "mind boggling" after Seattle executed the selection. Kiper has never worked in the league, though, and the NFL vehemently disagrees.
Related: Jets, Ravens, 49ers
Source: Rob Rang on Twitter
Apr 27 - 11:50 AM

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
seahawks liked him enough to take him high, cool one more player moves down to us

this is more how i look at it.

in any case, i'm not so focused on what others did. cause all that doesn't matter if our own picks don't pan out. ie we can only do what we do and hope it keeps us ahead?