• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers want Irvin?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin - DL - Player

According to NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, West Virginia OLB Bruce Irvin was told by a team in the bottom third of the draft order that he will be picked in the first round.
Thesidelineview.com's Lance Zierlein hears the 49ers are the "promise team" for Irvin in the first. It's a bit of surprise that San Francisco would go defense early, but pass rushers carry as much value as any position save quarterback. Per ESPN 710 Seattle's Liz Mathews, the Seahawks have also been interested, though not in the first round after Irvin's March arrest for destruction of property.
Related: Seahawks, 49ers
Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter
Apr 26 - 1:12 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmmmm.

I like his explosiveness and physique. He reminds me of a poor man's Von Miller.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we take him, in Baalke I trust....

Could be the guy too... hardly heard/read any talks linking us with him too...

so that means.................

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Irvin "slotted" in the 3rd or 4th? The first seems FAR too high for me to draft a "poor man's" anything. Just sayin'.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Irvin "slotted" in the 3rd or 4th? The first seems FAR too high for me to draft a "poor man's" anything. Just sayin'.

nfldraftscout has him as a 2nd rounder

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nfldraftscout has him as a 2nd rounder

Ok, well, I don't know. If he is seen as a pass rushing beast, then wonderful! But picking Irvin in the 1st scares me when we have so many other glaring needs....but in Baalke I trust. I scratched my head with the Aldon Smith, Culliver, and Miller picks and he made me eat crow on that one so I will blindly trust that he would know what he is doing.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've seen him mocked in the late 1st rounds in a couple of mocks so taking him late 2nd wouldn't be a stretch.

Paraphrasing Charley Casserly on what he said this morning on the NFL Network is Irvin would be a guy that would be solely used as a pass rusher and not an every down kind of guy.

So it's not inconceivable for us to not find value for a guy like that since we would have Brooks do all the other things at OLB and just bring in Irvin to rush the passer.

And I can see what Baalke envisions that if Irvin pans out as a great pass rusher than we'd have a devastating pass rush. The Smiths coming from one side and Irvin and Ray Mac coming from the other would just be overwhelming for an offense to block.

I'll lean on trusting Baalke on this pick as he did get the Aldon Smith pick very right which nobody really saw coming so he does deserve my benefit of the doubt when it comes to pass rushers.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also I don't buy the report and I think it's just Irvin's camp trying to drum up interest for a team in the second round to trade up and grab him in the first.

Baalke and Harbaugh are really secretive guys so I don't believe they would ever make that promise to a player. And what team sitting at the late 1st round would make the promise to a player anyways? In that position you don't know if someone you love is going to slide so you might wind up trading up to grab that player or he might slide to your spot or another team might want to trade into your spot. Too many unknowns to be making a promise to a player that you're going to take them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen him mocked in the late 1st rounds in a couple of mocks so taking him late 2nd wouldn't be a stretch.

Paraphrasing Charley Casserly on what he said this morning on the NFL Network is Irvin would be a guy that would be solely used as a pass rusher and not an every down kind of guy.

So it's not inconceivable for us to not find value for a guy like that since we would have Brooks do all the other things at OLB and just bring in Irvin to rush the passer.

And I can see what Baalke envisions that if Irvin pans out as a great pass rusher than we'd have a devastating pass rush. The Smiths coming from one side and Irvin and Ray Mac coming from the other would just be overwhelming for an offense to block.

I'll lean on trusting Baalke on this pick as he did get the Aldon Smith pick very right which nobody really saw coming so he does deserve my benefit of the doubt when it comes to pass rushers.

would have no problem adding a pass rusher and would just need to be convinced he's our BPA? pass rushers are obviously valuable, but IF he's just a situational player.....not so sure he's worth a 1st rounder? we'll see what comments come out afterward?

IF we do in fact draft him, i'd think we'll use all three - him, Aldon, and Brooks - on 'obvious' passing downs. we'd move Aldon and Irvin around, mainly Aldon. can Irvin cover a TE somewhat?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also I don't buy the report and I think it's just Irvin's camp trying to drum up interest for a team in the second round to trade up and grab him in the first.

Baalke and Harbaugh are really secretive guys so I don't believe they would ever make that promise to a player. And what team sitting at the late 1st round would make the promise to a player anyways? In that position you don't know if someone you love is going to slide so you might wind up trading up to grab that player or he might slide to your spot or another team might want to trade into your spot. Too many unknowns to be making a promise to a player that you're going to take them.

good point, whats the benefit for a team committing to a player?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are smart to ignore reports such as these. Shit like this is leaked by agents or agents of agents every year and these reports are absolutely meaningless.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good point, whats the benefit for a team committing to a player?

Well if Team A tells player 1 that hey we're going to pick you guaranteed or promise to by X pick, then player 1 will take less off or won't practice/display to his fullest for Teams B-Z since he has team A in his pocket.

IMO

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
would have no problem adding a pass rusher and would just need to be convinced he's our BPA? pass rushers are obviously valuable, but IF he's just a situational player.....not so sure he's worth a 1st rounder? we'll see what comments come out afterward?

IF we do in fact draft him, i'd think we'll use all three - him, Aldon, and Brooks - on 'obvious' passing downs. we'd move Aldon and Irvin around, mainly Aldon. can Irvin cover a TE somewhat?

Well look at it this way Aldon Smith was basically a situational pass rusher this past season and I don't think anyone would complain about the effect that he had despite being taken at 7.

If we do in fact draft Irvin he would basically just take the same role as Aldon Smith did this past season. Smith will be an every down OLB, Brooks would mostly keep the role he had last season, with Irvin being in Aldon's role last season and come in as the situational pass rusher but filling in for Brooks rather than Haralson, and Haralson would be your depth.

If Irvin becomes a stud pass rusher than he would be more than worth the #30 investment we would make in him. You can never have too many pass rushers (just ask the Giants) especially since the it's become a passing league.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well if Team A tells player 1 that hey we're going to pick you guaranteed or promise to by X pick, then player 1 will take less off or won't practice/display to his fullest for Teams B-Z since he has team A in his pocket.

IMO

I still wouldn't see that happening.

If I'm a player I'm trusting a team as far as I can throw their offensive line so I would make sure to cover all my bases and sell myself as best I can to every team willing to listen.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. Another situational pass rusher for next years defense? I wouldn't be upset with that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm a player I'm trusting a team as far as I can throw their offensive line so I would make sure to cover all my bases and sell myself as best I can to every team willing to listen.

Well yea, then we're talking about the player's ethic/personality in that case.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

IMO

whaaaa? can a player REALLY have a team in his pocket?

if you're rated around 30th overall, would you REALLY believe the GM from Team A? wasn't the report "a team from the last 3rd of round 1"? wouldn't things change before you reach the last 3rd, ie someone better falls?

would you really take his word to heart and then "lay down" for everybody else?

if it was me around 30th rated, i do my best for EVERY team. cause its an interview for a job and nothing is guaranteed, especially in the last 3rd.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well look at it this way Aldon Smith was basically a situational pass rusher this past season and I don't think anyone would complain about the effect that he had despite being taken at 7.

If we do in fact draft Irvin he would basically just take the same role as Aldon Smith did this past season. Smith will be an every down OLB, Brooks would mostly keep the role he had last season, with Irvin being in Aldon's role last season and come in as the situational pass rusher but filling in for Brooks rather than Haralson, and Haralson would be your depth.

If Irvin becomes a stud pass rusher than he would be more than worth the #30 investment we would make in him. You can never have too many pass rushers (just ask the Giants) especially since the it's become a passing league.

again, just need to be convinced?

Aldon started off as a situational pass rusher, but he was targetted to start from draft day. he'll start now meaning he has other abilities beyond pass rushing.

will Irvin project ONLY as a situational rusher? if so, he had better be good at it, cause 'average' isn't worth 30th overall? how will can i be convinced? i'd want to read afterward, he can eventually play more downs? want to read Baalke projects him to more than rushing, and other prognosticators concur.

OR, he's one of the top, pure pass rushers in this class. top meaning top 5 level.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep