• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers v. Seahawks III - Wildcard Round

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first playoff game is coming up and it's gonna be wet, rainy and windy. That helps Seattle imo. The rain forecast is about 1 inch of rain that stops just before kickoff. So the field will be wet, but it probably isn't going to rain much during the game. The wind OTOH will stick around.

They say it's tough to win 3 times against a team, but the stats say that the team that won the other 2 games wins the 3rd game 66% of the time.

Will we focus on the run more? Both teams will likely go strong on the ground, but the Niner run defense has been great and Seattle's has been near the bottom of the league.

How will the passing game be effected? Seattle likes to throw deep and despite the rain and wind, I expect SEattle to throw it to whoever Lenoir is covering early and often. It wouldn't surprise me if DPI was part of their strategy on offense.

How will Purdy fair in the rain? He got some practice time this week in the rain and wind and seemed to do fine.

What tricks will Seattle pull? They're playing with house money. The Niners are favored by 9-10 points, and few think Seattle can win, so they have nothing to lose. I think the Niners are expecting fake punts and onside kicks. You never can tell what Pete will do in a game like this.

Well, what do we think?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What to know for officiating: Referee Alex Kemp's regular-season crew threw the most flags per game in the NFL (15.1), although it ranked in the middle of crews for flags that can be thrown by the referee himself: offensive holding (No. 5) and roughing the passer (tied for No. 13). The San Francisco defensive front drew only 12 offensive holding penalties all season, second fewest in the NFL, but its offensive line tied for the league's fifth-most committed (23). The Seahawks tied for the NFL's third-most false-start penalties. -- Seifert

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Same basics as in every game, start with limiting your own mistakes.......no turnovers and no big penalties. If Seattle plays a great game fine, but don't beat ourselves.

Yes, i would think Seattle will take more shots downfield, whether a completion or to draw a penalty. Maybe trick plays since it has worked against us.

After last season, can't imagine our Specials Teams will fall for a fake?

Hopefully our run game is effective so Purdy doesn't need to throw much. I'd be fine running the ball 35 times if its effective enough.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Niners are going to blow it. Down at halftime and can't get a stop since the 2nd drive of teh game.

The running game, other than the 2 big runs, has disappeared. Can't get anything inside. The IOL is getting beaten badly. The Defense is getting beaten on teh ground and in the air. The pass rush has dried up too and the DL is allowing Geno to run for easy first downs.

Barring a major turnaround on both sides of the ball (very doubtful), the Niners are about to get embarrassed at home against a heavy underdog Seattle team.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some amazing halftime adjudstments saved the game. Purdy had a huge second half after a somewhat shaky first half.

We went to more of a shorter passing game and changed up some of the run calls. not sure what happened on defense, but we finally got some pressure and turnovers and that was enough to change the momentum.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some amazing halftime adjudstments saved the game. Purdy had a huge second half after a somewhat shaky first half.

We went to more of a shorter passing game and changed up some of the run calls. not sure what happened on defense, but we finally got some pressure and turnovers and that was enough to change the momentum.
2nd half team

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a tale of two halves. In teh first half, Seattle had a 1 point lead and the vaunted Niner defense couldn't get a stop when they needed it. It looked like the Niners could really blow the game against a heavy underdog. In the second half, that all changed. The Niners scored 25 straight points and kept Seattle off the baord with some great defensive plays.

The offense had 500yds and scored on 8 of 9 drives. That is incredible in the playoffs, particularly for a team like the Niners that isn't know for offense. I get teh feeling that that is going to change. The offense has been better than the defense for a few weeks now.

Purdy was up and down. In the first half, he was 9 of 18 for 147yds and 1 TD. He missed 3 open receivers in the first half though and he nearly had 2 balls picked off. Playoff jitters? The rookie wall? Or was it simply a missed throw or 2? Eh. The 2nd half went very differently. Purdy was nearly perfect, going 9 for 11 for 185yds and 2 TDs.
--the first half started with Brock throwing several deep passes. They surprised the Seattle defense and we had guys open, but Purdy missed them. They are low percentage throws to begin with, but with more time in the offense and familiarity with our receivers, Brock could improve on them.
--One of the missed deep ball was an open TD to Jennings that Purdy was just late on, allowing the defender time to break up the pass. Another miss was an overthrow or miscommunication with Deebo, who was wide open on a deep crosser, but Brock sailed the ball over him or else he was throwing a deeper route. It was clear from teh broadcast that Brock was upset himself on that throw, so it was probably just a missed throw.
--One of the 2 2nd half incompletions was a dropped TD pass by BA that hit him in both hands.
--his ability to escape the pocket and avoid the rush was on full display and continues to be something subtle but big that is added to teh offense over and above what Jimmy could do
--Purdy ran for a TD on a 1yd sneak in the 2nd half and ran for a first down early on
--Purdy had a perfect 158.3 passer rating in the 2nd half, he was on fire
--PUrdy ended the game 18 of 30 for 332yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and 4 carries for 16yds and a TD. I can't believe there are still football fans out there that say "yea, but..." when it comes to Purdy. The guy looks like a lock to start at QB next season.

CMC had another good game. 15 carries for 119yds. His first carry went for 68yds. He also had 2 catches for 17yds and a TD. His fit in this offense cannot be overstated.
--Mitchell had 9 carries, but got only 2yds, but he caught 2 balls for 25yds.

Deebo had 6 catches for 133yds and a TD and 3 carries for 32yds. In the 2nd half, he took a short pass in the flat and took off for 74yds to the EZ. BA had a great block downfield on Deebo's run.
--BA had 3 catches for 73yds but he dropped a TD pass that hit him in the hands (would've been 4 TD passes for Brock!)
--Jennings was 2 for 41, with both his catches going for 1st downs. He had a quietly good game.
--Kittle was a very good blocker in this game, but he had only 2 catches for 37 yards, both going for first downs and Kittle also caught the 2pt conversion

The interior OLine was getting pushed around in this game. That doesn't bode well for the future bc we coudln't run inside all day, if the runs weren't off tackle or outside, we really didn't get much on the ground.
--OL gave up only 1 sack, but Brock's mobility kept that number so low
--Even TW had some slips in this game, surprising
--McGlinchey had himself a pretty good one out there. Nice to see him elevate for the playoffs.

On Defense, the D was up and down in the first half, but showed up big time in the 2nd half. The game started with teh D getting 2 stops, but then couldn't get a stop for the rest of the half. The game was much closer than the score indicated. For 3 and a half quarters, the Seahawks were very much in the game.
--Geno was 25 of 35 for 253yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT and 1 fumble. Sure, he got 250yds passing and 2 TDs, but it took him 35 attempts to get there and he had 2 turnovers on back to back drives that effectively ended the game for seattle
--Geno used his legs and the Niner defense again showed its vulnerability to mobile Qbs. Geno ran 4 times for 28yds and 3 first downs
--In the first half Walker ran for 54yds on 13 carries, but he only got 9yds in the 2nd half. I wonder why he only got 2 carries in the 2nd half?
--Greenlaw took a bad angle and was outran to teh pylon for Walker's rushing TD. That's rare for Greenlaw.
--Metcalf was basically the entire Seattle passing offense. He had 10 catches for 136yds and 2 TDs. He burned Ward in the first half on a 50yd bomb and we just couldn't cover him otherwise. Giving up deep TDs seems to be a theme of the Niner defense.
--Ward had as tough time defending Metcalf and gave up a lot of catches
--Lenoir gave up a few catches, but they were for fewer yards. ANd he had 5 tackles and caught an INT, making a great break on the ball where the ball was a little late and the route was a little sloppy and Demo made them pay. It was a bounce back game for Demo. PFF gave him a career high grade for this game. Good for him.
--Bosa was double teamed constantly and even tripled at times (doubled plus a chip). We moved him around to try and free him up, where he still got some pressures and was able to effect the play.
--SOmeone else was going to have to step up on teh DLine. Armstead got an early sack, but Omenihu was the man of the hour who took advantage of teh single blocking to get 2 sacks and a forced fumble to go with 5 pressures (a team high). The fumble was the turning point of the game b/c the Niners took the ball and made it a 2 score game, Geno then threw a pick on the next possession and the Niners made it a 3 score game.
--We've got to get more production out of the rest of the Dline. It's worth noting that the 3 lowest PFF graded players on defense were all 3 of our DTs--McGill, Kinlaw, and Hyder.
--Ward had a boneheaded unnecessary roughness foul at the end of the first half. Geno scrambled out and slid down and that would've ended the half, but Ward hit him anyway, giving them 15extra yards and they got a FG to take a lead into halftime. Didn't he make a similar foul in last year's NFCCG?

I can't believe that the Seattle player Abram wasn't flagged for yanking and twisting Deebo's leg after that tackle. Shanny said it pissed teh team off and lit a fire under them for the rest of the game. And he was right--after that event, the Niners went on a 25-0 run.

It was a win that was closer than the score indicated. Still, the team survived and advanced to teh divisional round where we will face either the Vikings, Bucs, or Cowboys.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any win is good and more so in the play-offs against Seattle, fantastic.

No doubt the 1st half was shakey but credit Seattle for playing mistake free. That is how i hope the 49ers play the rest of the way....mistake free. BTW - I get the impression Geno Smith would do almost as well as JG in our offense? He'd do almost as well as JG if not better, but only in the 1st half of games. Geno throws short (mainly), gets it out quick and more importantly, is accurate.

Anyway, thankfully our offense can now score a lot. The defense is good but it isn't enough to win the championship. The "defense wins championships" is from another era, nowadays you NEED offense. JG is good but hit his ceiling and was holding back this offense. No matter how much talent JG was surrounded by, he wouldn't be good enough to unlock this offense.

No miscommunication in the Secondary, good!

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey good game you guys it was competitive up until the half best of luck moving forw- NO I HOPE YOU GUYS LOSE IN THE NEXT ROUND WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG is good but hit his ceiling and was holding back this offense. No matter how much talent JG was surrounded by, he wouldn't be good enough to unlock this offense.
This 100%. I think we saw the best Jimmy can be and we've already seen that Purdy can be better than that. The offense's ceiling is higher with Purdy. I mean, Purdy just had a better post season game than ANY playoff game Jimmy ever had. And it was Purdy's first playoff game.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that found it hilarious that the broadcast gave several seconds of camera time to a fan's sign that said "Big C@ck Brock"? LMAO. I know the nickname has gotten some run among Niner fans for a while, but this is the first time that it's gotten national play...

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOund some numbers on Demo.

28 coverage snaps • 2 catches allowed • 16 yards allowed • 1 interception • 20.8 passer rating when targeted

Not a bad day at all.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hey good game you guys it was competitive up until the half best of luck moving forw- NO I HOPE YOU GUYS LOSE IN THE NEXT ROUND WE WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!
It was a good GAME, certainly not a good 1st half.

With top draft picks the opportunity is there for Seattle, but you still have to choose wisely. I hope you guys flat out blow the picks. haaaaa

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game guy’s, interesting first half but reality set in, you guys are just the better team right now, no question … Good luck going forward !

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
FOund some numbers on Demo.

28 coverage snaps • 2 catches allowed • 16 yards allowed • 1 interception • 20.8 passer rating when targeted

Not a bad day at all.
Yes, he had a very good game. CB is a very hard job, especially with rules favoring the receiver.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CMC had 15 carries and Mitchell 9, this is about the right distribution IMO. Had we gotten a bigger lead earlier, i'm sure Mason would've had more than 2 carries.

The passing targets was a little more to Deebo and less to Kittle, but thats ok in this game. After the previous Seattle game, i'm sure they paid more attention to Kittle.

The O-line deserves a lot of credit too, the unsung heroes. haaaa Before the season everyone was SO concerned about the interior but overall, they're doing well of late. Even McGlinchey picked it up in this last game.