• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Schedule Released - How will we do?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said from the get-go thsi year that we'd miss the playoffs b/c lance will struggle in his first season as a starter. The issue will be whether Lance progresses and how much slack Shanny has. Kyle is under contract through 2025. So he's safe through 2023, but by then we'll know if Lance is a failure or not--does Shanny get the axe if lance fails or is he given a 2nd chance?
I’d say axe.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d say axe.
That was my first reaction too when we gambled so much to get Lance (or Fields or Jones). But, I've changed my mind b/c Shanny is a good coach and it is VERY hard to find a good coach--In the 20+ years the Yorks have ran the team, Shanny is the only coach to get a contract extension. I think they'll give him a 2nd chance if Lance fails--might be his chance to finally land Kirk Cousins (LOL).

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was either plan for another QB or reup Jimmy--and Jimmy wasn't going to be offered any more than he was already making and between Jimmy's injury history and lack of playoff contributions, hitching our wagon to Jimmy for another 4 years was too much of a risk.

The FO made its call as soon as they traded up for Lance. At that point, Jimmy was a dead man walking and Lance would be the starter in either 2021 or 2022.

I have no idea if we picked the right QB, but the calculus of the trade up was right--that is, if we were ever going to trade up for a rookie QB, that was the time to do it (good QB draft, high pick coming off a bad year).
I agree with EVERYTHING about this post, especially the calculus part, which has been the hill I have been dying on with regards to the Niners decision to upgrade at QB. There is no way we move up without having the 12th pick from a mediocre year. There is no way we wait for this season's weak draft class when last year's class was LOADED. There is no way we move up if JG showed that he was the straw that stirred the drink offensively. Everything culminated in the right decision with the correct focused thought process. Only time will tell if Lance is everything they hope he would be, but based on early returns, I believe we are in good hands.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes get all that - been a fan since John Brodie. I hope I’m wrong but Lynch and Co. made a mistake. Obviously there is a ton of BS slung around on a message board. Believe me or not but trust me, staff is not happy with his progress.
Is this a gut feeling or do you have insider knowledge? Do you believe in "arm fitness" stories as well? There is NOTHING to prove what you are saying. Last year, the eye test showed significant improvement from OTAs to camp with regards to throwing mechanics and footwork. The eye test also showed huge improvement in his play from the ARZ game to the HOU game. He's been a model citizen, has texted his new teammates, has wowed vets (See Warner, Fred comments, also see Ward, Jimmy comments as well), and he's shown us the wow plays already at the ripe age of 21.

So publicly, people that are willing to put their name on it have said that Lance is special. The ONLY negative report is anonymous and during the offseason, where the staff has not been working with Lance directly. I'm going to call BS on that narrative until it actually plays out because everything about what he has said and done, or what has been said about him has been hugely positive.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original topic on this thread... knowing that we'll be working a young QB into the mix, the first half of the schedule is favorable for that, relative to the second half of the year. The toughest of the first 8 games are the Broncos, Rams (x2), and Chiefs. While RW will be building chemistry, there isn't a chance in hell I'm taking that dude lightly - he's single handedly beaten the 9ers multiple time. The Rams are a division opponent, and no matter who is good/bad, these games are a toss-up to me.

If the team can gain some momentum coming out of the first half of the year with a decent record, it could bode well for the second half - which looks to be a lot tougher to me.

Of course, there's probably 6-8 teams that everyone is writing off right now that will be good and another 6-8 that everyone is inflating, lol. But based on what we know from last year, and knowing our schedule wasn't going to be a cake walk to begin with, it's not a bad outcome, imo.

I would say a very positive outlook puts them at 10-11 wins, but I have a hard time seeing much more than that unless Lance crushes it out of the gate. And I don't think that will happen. I expect the normal ups and downs for a first year starter. Likely scenario is 8-10 wins, imo.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my first reaction too when we gambled so much to get Lance (or Fields or Jones). But, I've changed my mind b/c Shanny is a good coach and it is VERY hard to find a good coach--In the 20+ years the Yorks have ran the team, Shanny is the only coach to get a contract extension. I think they'll give him a 2nd chance if Lance fails--might be his chance to finally land Kirk Cousins (LOL).
I tend to agree... Shanahan is too "valuable" to cast aside. Lynch, on the other hand... I could see him getting axed as a sacrificial lamb, but good coaches are too hard to come by, and it feels like Shanahan is in the upper echelon. Even if Lance doesn't pan out, I think Shanahan gets another go at it.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a gut feeling or do you have insider knowledge? Do you believe in "arm fitness" stories as well? There is NOTHING to prove what you are saying. Last year, the eye test showed significant improvement from OTAs to camp with regards to throwing mechanics and footwork. The eye test also showed huge improvement in his play from the ARZ game to the HOU game. He's been a model citizen, has texted his new teammates, has wowed vets (See Warner, Fred comments, also see Ward, Jimmy comments as well), and he's shown us the wow plays already at the ripe age of 21.

So publicly, people that are willing to put their name on it have said that Lance is special. The ONLY negative report is anonymous and during the offseason, where the staff has not been working with Lance directly. I'm going to call BS on that narrative until it actually plays out because everything about what he has said and done, or what has been said about him has been hugely positive.
I have a bit of inside knowledge - not going to air that out on a message board.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes get all that - been a fan since John Brodie. I hope I’m wrong but Lynch and Co. made a mistake. Obviously there is a ton of BS slung around on a message board. Believe me or not but trust me, staff is not happy with his progress.
Fan since John Brodie?! Damn you'se old!

I'm saying this because same here. :-)

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna feel good to beat Seattle. I can barely explain how happy I was to see Wilson shipped out of town. Time for them to see how the other half live. They're gonna be tanking this year to land a QB next year.

On paper, the Bucs aren't as good as they were last year.
Lost starters at: TE, OG, OG, S
No A.Brown at WR
Godwin coming back off an ACL
Not sure if they'll get Suh back at DT or JPP back at DE

Getting the bye week in the middle of the schedule is good for us.

After the bye, we get the Chargers at home on Sunday night. Another plus.

Note that in the 2nd half of the season, the team doesn't have to travel much. It's a bye, then LAC at home, at AZ, Saints/Phins/Bucs at home, short trip to seattle, Commies at home, short trip to vegas, then Cards at home. At least the players won't be jet lagged.

I'll be happy to make a friendly wager on that. Barring some freak injury, Lance is the day 1 starter. There is a whole nother thread on Jimmy. Let's try and keep it there.

It's not like Russell has been the one beating you guys the last few years. He's had some pretty shitty games against the niners, last 4 wins he's passed for 261, 181, 149 and 231.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like Russell has been the one beating you guys the last few years. He's had some pretty shitty games against the niners, last 4 wins he's passed for 261, 181, 149 and 231.
It's not his raw numbers. It's the way he pulls a scramble drill, big play out of his ass to score or sustain drives.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're correct for recent games, for some reason the 49ers have played poorly against Seattle?! Doesn't matter in Seattle or SJ, they don't play these games well at all. Some of it is beating your own self.

IMO Seattle has as 'down' a roster in some time, if the 49ers can't sweep Seattle now.............uh...........lets not think about it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not his raw numbers. It's the way he pulls a scramble drill, big play out of his ass to score or sustain drives.
This is the difference between Russell and Kaep, Kaep would either throw it away or run out of bounds.

But now we have Lance who seems capable of making big plays out of scramble drills. He won't do it right out of the gate but as he gains reps his arms and legs will generate big extended plays.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct for recent games, for some reason the 49ers have played poorly against Seattle?! Doesn't matter in Seattle or SJ, they don't play these games well at all. Some of it is beating your own self.

IMO Seattle has as 'down' a roster in some time, if the 49ers can't sweep Seattle now.............uh...........lets not think about it.
I won't poo poo in your team's thread, i'll just say that we have you guys as winnable games too :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I won't poo poo in your team's thread, i'll just say that we have you guys as winnable games too :)
Thats fine because every fan should be optimistic at this point. No matter what WE say, they'll play the games and find out.