• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers, Pats most interested in Nicks

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to sign Crabtree to a big, long-term deal either.

Considering how well Nicks has playedin the past, I really don't see him settling for like 5 million a year or something (which is about what he's worth right now IMO). I would pass. With no Aldon this year, the Niners need to avoid mortgaging any future success for 2013 success.
:agree: The cap space isn't there for another question mark player and he will be wanting the best offer knowing there are teams who want him. I would say at this point the 9ers should just let our WRs heal up and hope we can make a push for the playoffs.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually raised that issue in another thread about Nicks. Not sure if that's the one you're remembering. But as Clyde asks, I don't think he's in line for a huge contract. I'd think a 4th or 5th round comp at best.

ha, oh. yeah I get the forums mixed up sometimes. Great point to bring up though!

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree is so injury prone being in close proximity to an offensive lineman farting would probably break him...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is Nicks is probably going to want around 9 million a year IMO. He'll point to Greg Jennings, who had injury problems for a couple of seasons, who's getting 27 million in the first 3 seasons of his contract ; and Jennings was about 4 years older than Nicks.

On the surface that Jennings contract looks more than it is. I actually wouldn't mind a contract like that offered to Nicks at all. Out of the 45mil total only 17.8mil is guaranteed, 10 of which is a signing bonus. His first and second year in the contract he's making 2.9 and 4.9mil respectively, both of which are guaranteed. Any year after that, when he's making that 9mil per, is NOT guaranteed.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nicks is thinking near 9mil a year, he doesn't move. I think that's pretty straightforward.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
On the surface that Jennings contract looks more than it is. I actually wouldn't mind a contract like that offered to Nicks at all. Out of the 45mil total only 17.8mil is guaranteed, 10 of which is a signing bonus. His first and second year in the contract he's making 2.9 and 4.9mil respectively, both of which are guaranteed. Any year after that, when he's making that 9mil per, is NOT guaranteed.

So essentially you'd be for signing Nicks to a 2-year contract with an option for a 3rd year in case he's so good that he justifies a 9 million dollar salary? That's the kind of contract that ends up causing dead money for a long time. And how likely is it Nick will put up 1000-yard seasons regularly? Do you expect him to perform better under his 2nd contract than he did under his first? How often does that happen? The VAST majority of the time, players who get large 2nd contracts perform slightly worse than they did under their rookie deals; and the best for which one can hope (except in rare cases) is that they perform the same as they did under their rookie deals.

I see a ton of risk and not a huge potential for reward in this scenario. And I'd be all for it Aldon were playing this season (trading for him & working out a long-term deal). But without Aldon I don't see much point to it; might as well hope for some luck with the Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham combo' in the playoffs.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So essentially you'd be for signing Nicks to a 2-year contract with an option for a 3rd year in case he's so good that he justifies a 9 million dollar salary? That's the kind of contract that ends up causing dead money for a long time. And how likely is it Nick will put up 1000-yard seasons regularly? Do you expect him to perform better under his 2nd contract than he did under his first? How often does that happen? The VAST majority of the time, players who get large 2nd contracts perform slightly worse than they did under their rookie deals; and the best for which one can hope (except in rare cases) is that they perform the same as they did under their rookie deals.

I see a ton of risk and not a huge potential for reward in this scenario. And I'd be all for it Aldon were playing this season (trading for him & working out a long-term deal). But without Aldon I don't see much point to it; might as well hope for some luck with the Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham combo' in the playoffs.

A contract like that would (if I understand it correctly) create 6mil in dead money if he were released after the 2nd year. Not a HUGE cost considering that when healthy, Nicks is a true #1 WR IMO. I still doubt he would garner that big of a contract in any case.

And again, it all hinges on 1) his medical and 2) if he's willing to extend and the type of contract. If both both 1 and 2 check out, I would be willing to trade for him immediately.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His health is an issue but I'd trade for him for the right price. Chances are he's gonna wanna stick around NE and Brady.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His health is an issue but I'd trade for him for the right price. Chances are he's gonna wanna stick around NE and Brady.

He has no choice in who he gets traded to. He's gonna go to the team that offers up the most.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
A contract like that would (if I understand it correctly) create 6mil in dead money if he were released after the 2nd year. Not a HUGE cost considering that when healthy, Nicks is a true #1 WR IMO. I still doubt he would garner that big of a contract in any case.

And again, it all hinges on 1) his medical and 2) if he's willing to extend and the type of contract. If both both 1 and 2 check out, I would be willing to trade for him immediately.

6 million would be dead money, but the team would pay an average of 12.8 million over those 2 seasons in salary + bounuses if they released him after 2 seasons.

Tough call. If Jennings' contract is where the negotiating starts, I think that would be too rich for my blood.

If he'd take something closer to Danny Amendola (maybe halfway between his & Jennings' contracts), I'd pull the trigger.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think chances are no team will trade for him unless they agree on a long-term deal before they trade for him.

Your probably right, but if NE traded for him and didn't agree to a deal I feel Nicks would wanna stick around if the money was right.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 million would be dead money, but the team would pay an average of 12.8 million over those 2 seasons in salary + bounuses if they released him after 2 seasons.

Tough call. If Jennings' contract is where the negotiating starts, I think that would be too rich for my blood.

If he'd take something closer to Danny Amendola (maybe halfway between his & Jennings' contracts), I'd pull the trigger.

12.8 over two years is not bad at all. What are your expectations, exactly?