• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers just signed Adam Snyder 2 year contract

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If a guard goes down, I think Snyder will be the 1st guard off the bench.

If a tackle goes down, I think Boone goes out to tackle and Snyder comes in at RG.

Not sure what happens if Goodwin goes down at center.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is that I believe that Goodwin is a better interior OL then Snyder hands down.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are going to be relying on a few severly injured players the next 2 years. Here is to medical technology:) Go 49ers!!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If a guard goes down, I think Snyder will be the 1st guard off the bench.

If a tackle goes down, I think Boone goes out to tackle and Snyder comes in at RG.

Not sure what happens if Goodwin goes down at center.

I still think Snyder would be behind Kilgore/Looney.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My problem is that I believe that Goodwin is a better interior OL then Snyder hands down.

Goodwin sticks unless he's beaten out by Kilgore or Looney IMO. If he is, then he's very expensive to be a backup.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Sando:

The San Francisco 49ers ideally would have kept Adam Snyder around as a backup last season.

The alternative wound up being even better.

Snyder's departure to the Arizona Cardinals last offseason contributed to San Francisco netting three compensatory draft choices in 2013. It also cleared the way for Snyder's replacement in the lineup at right guard, Alex Boone, to develop into a long-term starter.

Then, after the Cardinals released Snyder last week, the 49ers re-signed the versatile veteran to a two-year deal worth much less than Snyder received from Arizona.

So, in the end, the 49ers loaned Snyder to a division rival for one season, got better in the interim, recouped draft capital for their troubles and then brought back Snyder at a discount -- all while the Cardinals paid $6 million in cash, got worse on their line and incurred $4 million in future salary-cap charges.

The 49ers get credit for recognizing Snyder's value last offseason, but not even they could have drawn up a scenario as favorable as the one that played out.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Sando:

The San Francisco 49ers ideally would have kept Adam Snyder around as a backup last season.

The alternative wound up being even better.

Snyder's departure to the Arizona Cardinals last offseason contributed to San Francisco netting three compensatory draft choices in 2013. It also cleared the way for Snyder's replacement in the lineup at right guard, Alex Boone, to develop into a long-term starter.

Then, after the Cardinals released Snyder last week, the 49ers re-signed the versatile veteran to a two-year deal worth much less than Snyder received from Arizona.

So, in the end, the 49ers loaned Snyder to a division rival for one season, got better in the interim, recouped draft capital for their troubles and then brought back Snyder at a discount -- all while the Cardinals paid $6 million in cash, got worse on their line and incurred $4 million in future salary-cap charges.

The 49ers get credit for recognizing Snyder's value last offseason, but not even they could have drawn up a scenario as favorable as the one that played out.

Niners have been lucking out with some of their transactions as of late, and this was clearly one of them.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely. But look at the roster right now. Who is that guy? Kenny Wiggins? Al Netter? A late-7th rounder in Bykowski who we can develop on the PS anyway? I like UDFA Marquardt, but he's likely a PUP/IR guy, and even if healthy would be lucky to land on the PS. The simple fact is that we're very thin at OT right now, and Snyder's versatility and experience is a plus. I'd love to see one of the young guys beat him out. For now, I'm not holding my breath.

Yes I know the names don't jump out. One of them could step up though and make it close. Snyder would have been a better guard than tackle if he was able to stay in that role throughout his career imo. If one of them makes it close it could get interesting. Snyder's good to have in an emergency, but I think now that we're covered at guard, we could take a flyer to upgrade the swing tackle position.

What's likely to happen though is we keep Snyder on the roster and keep trying to develop one on the PS.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes I know the names don't jump out. One of them could step up though and make it close. Snyder would have been a better guard than tackle if he was able to stay in that role throughout his career imo. If one of them makes it close it could get interesting. Snyder's good to have in an emergency, but I think now that we're covered at guard, we could take a flyer to upgrade the swing tackle position.

What's likely to happen though is we keep Snyder on the roster and keep trying to develop one on the PS.

Yeah, we'll see what happens. I was surprised we waited so long to address OT, frankly, but maybe we like the guys from last year's PS. I think we'll probably see one or two OTs on the PS, though, and possibly Marquardt on the PUP/IR.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I believe our swing tackle now is Boone. Boone goes to tackle, Snyder comes in at right guard. I think we are covered if there is 1 injury.

Would be nice to stash Marquard on the PUP/IR plus maybe another tackle on the practice squad. Seeing Marquard's measurables and he's got that athletic basketball/tight end background, I see him one day on the 53 man roster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I believe our swing tackle now is Boone. Boone goes to tackle, Snyder comes in at right guard. I think we are covered if there is 1 injury.

Would be nice to stash Marquard on the PUP/IR plus maybe another tackle on the practice squad. Seeing Marquard's measurables and he's got that athletic basketball/tight end background, I see him one day on the 53 man roster.

What about Kilgore and Looney? I've seen nothing to suggest that the FO is unhappy with these guys. If we lose two OTs, we're in trouble period.

I'd like to point out to those that are nervous about our lack of depth in this thread and the Goodwin thread that Snyder is effectively filling the role that Leonard Davis filled last year. Is he really more of a liability on the edges than Davis would have been if we'd lost two OTs? Who should we go after as a swing tackle instead?

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Veteran G/RT Adam Snyder's 2-year deal with the 49ers is worth $2.45 M with $500 K fully guaranteed.

Not that bad. Only 500k guaranteed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm frankly surprised he got that much. Though I guess vet minimum for a guy with his tenure is $840K.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, we'll see what happens. I was surprised we waited so long to address OT, frankly, but maybe we like the guys from last year's PS. I think we'll probably see one or two OTs on the PS, though, and possibly Marquardt on the PUP/IR.

I'm not really worried about it, but it is a head scratcher because it would have been a luxury pick with a good chance to make the team vs. grabbing PS material. Maybe they think they can better address it next year.

Worst case scenario is Boone and Staley go down. But I agree that no matter what you have in place depth wise, you'd pretty much be screwed in that scenario (and happy that we have a mobile QB).

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Veteran G/RT Adam Snyder's 2-year deal with the 49ers is worth $2.45 M with $500 K fully guaranteed.

Not that bad. Only 500k guaranteed.

Well that's another big reason why I'd really prefer to go with a younger option.