• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers just signed Adam Snyder 2 year contract

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not saying Kilgore and/or Looney aren't any good, won't be good, but if they could hold down RG and C between them, do we need Snyder at C or RG? if we don't need Snyder at C or RG, makes sense to get an OT focused on OT? even if in 'development', that makes more sense than "jack of all trades, master at none"?

looked another way.................you're "touting" Snyder as someone who can man any position on the line, this implies we need him to ALSO cover C and RG? if so, what is this saying about Kilgore and Looney to cover C and RG betwen them?

anyway, just answering your question, not going crazy over this signing. for all we know there's little guarantees?

I'm assuming it's a pretty minimal contract, though we'll have to see.

I view Snyder as insurance across the board. It could actually be a statement of our great faith in Kilgore and/or Looney taking Goodwin's job. If we cut Goodwin, we would only have one backup who is even semi-established. Snyder gives us flexibility.

And while I agree that we should work on grooming a true swing tackle, I don't see that guy on the roster right now. We have a 7th-round rookie and an UDFA who is promising but played at a tiny school and is coming off an injury. And then we've got a few PS guys. Snyder may just be close to the best of what's out there right now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one will argue that, so the question is.....how well does Snyder play OT? if he's the best back-up OT we can find, so be it.

Wouldn't Boone move out to Tackle and Snyder fill in at Guard? That does make two moves instead of one though I guess.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm assuming it's a pretty minimal contract, though we'll have to see.

I view Snyder as insurance across the board. It could actually be a statement of our great faith in Kilgore and/or Looney taking Goodwin's job. If we cut Goodwin, we would only have one backup who is even semi-established. Snyder gives us flexibility.

And while I agree that we should work on grooming a true swing tackle, I don't see that guy on the roster right now. We have a 7th-round rookie and an UDFA who is promising but played at a tiny school and is coming off an injury. And then we've got a few PS guys. Snyder may just be close to the best of what's out there right now.

yeah ok, if he's the best back-up OT we can find, so be it. i know with our cap situation, it isn't easy getting a quality, experienced OT.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I personally wouldn't mind seeing Snyder get cut in favor of a younger swing tackle. Either way this should make for some interesting competition.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wouldn't Boone move out to Tackle and Snyder fill in at Guard? That does make two moves instead of one though I guess.

yeah, that would be the first move should Staley or Davis go down. at that point, we'd then need another back-up OT for the next game? so apparently that would fall to Snyder.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see Snyder as the second guy off the bench at best. If we lose an OT, Boone moves over and Kilgore/Looney takes over. Then, if we lose someone else at any position, Boone steps in - unless it's an interior OL and Goodwin is still the starter, in which case the other of Kilgore/Looney probably takes over. Where Snyder steps in would depend on the injury.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, that would be the first move should Staley or Davis go down. at that point, we'd then need another back-up OT for the next game? so apparently that would fall to Snyder.

They stayed pretty healthy last year. Hopefully the same happens this year.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see Snyder as the second guy off the bench at best. If we lose an OT, Boone moves over and Kilgore/Looney takes over. Then, if we lose someone else at any position, Boone steps in - unless it's an interior OL and Goodwin is still the starter, in which case the other of Kilgore/Looney probably takes over. Where Snyder steps in would depend on the injury.

That's a big reason why I'd prefer to have someone younger beat him out who has a chance to develop. If no one really fits into that type of role, that's fine. Keep Snyder. But my vote would be for a younger player fill that particular spot.

It's similar to having a third QB be a veteran instead of a young prospect.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it had to be cheap. The Niners hardly have any cap space.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

not following this but doesn't matter, pretty sure you just said the same thing. :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A third-round pick of the 49ers in 2005, Snyder spent his first seven seasons in San Francisco before signing a five-year, $17 million deal with the Cardinals last year. According to a grading system used by Pro Football Focus, Snyder ranked 79th of the 82 guards who played at least 300 snaps in 2012. Snyder signed a two-year contract with San Francisco.

yikes! maybe he should focus strictly on OT?

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is more to just stir up competition this off-season and push people. I don't want anyone on the team feeling that their spot is locked up, although we all know there are many positions that are locks already. I want everyone always feeling like someone might take their spot to make them work that much harder and get that much better. I am sure this must be some non-guaranteed contract like Aso. I rather have Looney or Kilgore be the main back ups if not starter at center but if Snyder out performs them, he will have earned his spot.

I won't hate on any move Baalke makes though. I haven't been disappointed with the teams performance these last couple years.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's a big reason why I'd prefer to have someone younger beat him out who has a chance to develop. If no one really fits into that type of role, that's fine. Keep Snyder. But my vote would be for a younger player fill that particular spot.

It's similar to having a third QB be a veteran instead of a young prospect.

Absolutely. But look at the roster right now. Who is that guy? Kenny Wiggins? Al Netter? A late-7th rounder in Bykowski who we can develop on the PS anyway? I like UDFA Marquardt, but he's likely a PUP/IR guy, and even if healthy would be lucky to land on the PS. The simple fact is that we're very thin at OT right now, and Snyder's versatility and experience is a plus. I'd love to see one of the young guys beat him out. For now, I'm not holding my breath.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this is more to just stir up competition this off-season and push people. I don't want anyone on the team feeling that their spot is locked up, although we all know there are many positions that are locks already. I want everyone always feeling like someone might take their spot to make them work that much harder and get that much better. I am sure this must be some non-guaranteed contract like Aso. I rather have Looney or Kilgore be the main back ups if not starter at center but if Snyder out performs them, he will have earned his spot.

I won't hate on any move Baalke makes though. I haven't been disappointed with the teams performance these last couple years.

that was my first thought too, but he signed for two years? so even though it might be a small amount, there is likely a guarantee?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Absolutely. But look at the roster right now. Who is that guy? Kenny Wiggins? Al Netter? A late-7th rounder in Bykowski who we can develop on the PS anyway? I like UDFA Marquardt, but he's likely a PUP/IR guy, and even if healthy would be lucky to land on the PS. The simple fact is that we're very thin at OT right now, and Snyder's versatility and experience is a plus. I'd love to see one of the young guys beat him out. For now, I'm not holding my breath.

agree, timing just isn't right. these two guys may just pan out some day, but relying on them "now" is dangerous.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love this move. Snyder is perfect for what we need. The guy is a swing tackle and can also step in at G and C. Great pick up for us, it is alwayas awesome to add veteran depth.

This means bad news for Goodwin as he is most likely gone with this move.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW Crims totally called this, earlier today. Good call man