• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers CB Tarell Brown voids $2 million base salary escalator by skipping offseason wo

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SY8goat's favorite player is Steve Young, SY8goat is talking about tax law... Steve Young graduated from law school... SY8goat must be Steve Young!!! ;)

Steve Young got his JD in taxation?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Andrew Brandt talked to Brown's former agent, asked if he has any other clients on the Niners. The answer was (paraphrased only because I don't have the exact quote handy):

No, and I hope I never do.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Brandt talked to Brown's former agent, asked if he has any other clients on the Niners. The answer was (paraphrased only because I don't have the exact quote handy):

No, and I hope I never do.

Not sure how he can blame this on the niners. His job is to know shit like this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure how he can blame this on the niners. His job is to know shit like this.

agree.

now that people know he made such a basic mistake, will he even get new clients?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Probably more tricky wording by Baalke...similar to when he said there obviously isn't a franchise QB on the 49ers.

I envision the conversion went as follows:

Agent: So how much money does Brown lose if he holdouts and skips training camp?

Baalke: He won't lose money...

Back of Baalke's Mind: He can't lose money he's not earning :whistle:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if that happened, it is 100% on the agent for not reading the contract.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Young got his JD in taxation?

My mention of tax law was just to connect taxation to law and then law to law school and then law school to Steve Young.

I don't know what he got it for. I don't know why or what he concentrated in. He'd know it if he wanted to and more than most without a JD, probably (not saying the level of discussion you said was that deep). Was he interested in sports law? Bored? Smart and wanted to prove it?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agents: Plenty of blame all around in Brown contract snafu | CSN Bay Area

not surprising other agents are backing up Overstreet. still say the fault is on Overstreet because he is PAID to advise. the 49ers are not being paid to advise Brown.

don't blame Brown for not knowing his contract, he paid a professional to do it so he doesn't have to read the fine print. it is why other people pay a tax consultant, accountant, engineer, lawyer, realtor, etc.. , so the professional handles it.

i'm ok if the 49ers try to do something, but easier said than done. they have to consider what precedence is being set?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd be OK with it if the 49ers gave Brown a chance to earn some of that money back with an incentive-laden 1 year deal. It would be a nice gesture by the organization to build up the player friendly atmosphere.

This should be a wake-up call for all of the athletes to be more involved in their contract though. Obviously you'd assume your agent would tell you this stuff, but you also have to realize that to them you're just a client and they have other things going on and sometimes you'll fall through the cracks.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is primarily on the agent.

He negotiated the contract and it's job to tell his client the details of it.

Part of it is on Brown because when your money is at stake you need to ask a few questions and make sure you fully understand what you need to do to make sure you get your money.

I don't blame the 9ers but they could've thrown him a courtesy call. They were counting on that 2 million going to him anyways and he's a vet that's been on the team a while so I wouldn't mind them throwing him a bone and getting kicking in the money anyways.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is primarily on Brown not the agent you sign a contract you should know whats in it... Especially when it comes to money. The agen should be earning his commission and saying hey dude don't forget to show up. But Brown should be know when he earns his money. Its about being accountable hes a grown man his agent shouldn't have to lead him around on a leash.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is primarily on Brown not the agent you sign a contract you should know whats in it... Especially when it comes to money. The agen should be earning his commission and saying hey dude don't forget to show up. But Brown should be know when he earns his money. Its about being accountable hes a grown man his agent shouldn't have to lead him around on a leash.

I disagree. It's the agents job to make sure the player understands the contract, and if the player is at risk of forfeiting more than 2/3 of his salary, it's on the agent to tell him. I read somewhere earlier today that Brown and his agent were talking fairly regularly during the voluntary workouts. Why would the agent not tell him about the lost money?

The agents sole job is to make sure you get your money. His job is not done when the contract is done.

There's a reason that most of the articles written about this have said Brown can sue his agent for portions, if not all, of the lost income and have mentioned that all agents are required to carry malpractice insurance.

If you hire a tax agent each year to take care of your taxes, and you get audited and find out you owe a few thousand (or hundered thousand, or million depending on your economic status) do you own it, or do you hold the person you hired to deal with your taxes accountable?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree. It's the agents job to make sure the player understands the contract

Agreed. Agents make a ton of money, and their entire job is to make sure their clients get paid. It's not that hard to send a text massage saying, "FYI: you need to show up at OTAs or you forfeit 2 million dollars" a few days before the OTAs begin. It's called a calendar. We've all forgotten about an important dates before, but I'm sure we've never done so at the cost of $2 million.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm brown, yes, I read my contract in it's entirety and am sure I understand it.

But that doesn't put the blame on him. His agent's entire job is to get him paid. I wouldn't surprise if he's done as an agent after this.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. Agents make a ton of money, and their entire job is to make sure their clients get paid. It's not that hard to send a text massage saying, "FYI: you need to show up at OTAs or you forfeit 2 million dollars" a few days before the OTAs begin. It's called a calendar. We've all forgotten about an important dates before, but I'm sure we've never done so at the cost of $2 million.

I wonder if this affects Overstreet's commission? I know that most agents get 3%, but is it upfront, or is it as the player gets paid?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I'm brown, yes, I read my contract in it's entirety and am sure I understand it.

But that doesn't put the blame on him. His agent's entire job is to get him paid. I wouldn't surprise if he's done as an agent after this.

Exactly. It's the agents job to know the ins and outs of the contract. I'm sure Brown read it, in 2009 when he signed it. I'd be surprised if Brown sits down with his contract on a regular basis and studies it. That's why he hired an agent. If I were an agent and roughly 20% of the total value of one of my clients' contracts was solely dependent on him turning up for voluntary workouts, I would have reminders in my phone, my tablet, my laptop, me desktop, my alarm clock, sticky notes all over the house and office. . .

Assuming this incident affects the agents take as well, he cost himself 60k.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y! SPORTS

"Brown explained to Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group that he was going to leave it up to his agent on whether or not to hold out of training camp to get a new contract and gave his reason for skipping the voluntary OTAs."

"For me, I wanted to do a different type of training to get my body ready," Brown said. "Last year, I feel my body broke down a bit at the end of the season."

Excellent. The can use that money for someone else.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think if he were arguing with the provisions, I'd agree with you - he signed it and should have read or known the contract. But this isn't that; it's an agent responsibility that was overlooked.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

did the agent earn his commission?

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Exactly. It's the agents job to know the ins and outs of the contract. I'm sure Brown read it, in 2009 when he signed it. I'd be surprised if Brown sits down with his contract on a regular basis and studies it. That's why he hired an agent. If I were an agent and roughly 20% of the total value of one of my clients' contracts was solely dependent on him turning up for voluntary workouts, I would have reminders in my phone, my tablet, my laptop, me desktop, my alarm clock, sticky notes all over the house and office. . .

Assuming this incident affects the agents take as well, he cost himself 60k.

Completely agree, the agent is responsible for looking out for the best interest of the client, in this case it was not done. I hope the Niners let this play out outside the organization with Brown suing his agent.