• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers CB Tarell Brown voids $2 million base salary escalator by skipping offseason wo

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Y! SPORTS

"Brown explained to Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group that he was going to leave it up to his agent on whether or not to hold out of training camp to get a new contract and gave his reason for skipping the voluntary OTAs."

"For me, I wanted to do a different type of training to get my body ready," Brown said. "Last year, I feel my body broke down a bit at the end of the season."

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great. Push those savings into next year. Man, that's a REALLY costly decision for him. Hard to imagine a player who isn't making at least $8 million or so a year just walking away from $2 million. Hell, hard to imagine in any circumstances.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great. Push those savings into next year. Man, that's a REALLY costly decision for him. Hard to imagine a player who isn't making at least $8 million or so a year just walking away from $2 million. Hell, hard to imagine in any circumstances.

I was thinking the same. That agent must have something up his sleeve that would be more financially rewarding in the long haul than the mere $2mill he was bound to make by reporting to the offseason workouts.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont get why he still wouldn't want to get the 2 million, even if he will be getting a new contract or if plans on holding out. Doesn't seem very smart. Seems like he loses leverage too now cashing in on the 2 million.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if Brown got permission to train away and isn't going to lose 2 million.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Brown originally signed a five-year, $10.2 million extension in October of 2009 that was negotiated by agent Brian Overstreet. That dollar figure drops to $8.2 million with his failure to meet workout requirements. Brown also did not earn a $75,000 workout bonus.

God, that's brutal for him. That contract for the Niners is a great one, though. Very underrated move. We're likely to get 48 starts (knock on wood) from a guy who averaged $1.64 million a year.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow 2.9m to 900k? Is this dude married how do you explain that to the wife?

santiagodjs

Yahoo! Refugee / Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a Yahoo! report about Brown

"Prior to those workouts, Brown explained to Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group that he was going to leave it up to his agent on whether or not to hold out of training camp to get a new contract and gave his reason for skipping the voluntary OTAs...

...With Brown losing that $2 million in salary, his contract might be an issue during training camp. "

Wow, it would be crazy for Brown to try to hold out now... don't know the daily fine, but he doesn't have much leverage with what he's going to make this season.

I wouldn't put it past the front office to continue to add veterans to the CB spot (ala the E.Wright attempt) to remind players like Brown that no job is guaranteed, especially if you're getting paid that little.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agents....:L .He was probably told his worth to the team is far greater than it really is and is looking for a big contract. To lose that much money up front it seems to be the only logical reason.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing that he did report to training camp and is not in the process of holding out, I imagine that if somebody didn't show up yesterday it would have been in the news.

Very strange decision to walk away from $2 million, seems like he'd only do that if he was planning to hold out and get a new contract anyways.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it. I get the body being burned out part - if workouts will make you burn out at the end of the season, then, yeah that's less money due to worse production (smaller contract). But he'd have to gain so much production that would lead to making 2 million more than a burned out Brown. What happens if they just give him the same contract as he was anticipated to get (or none). He just lost 2 million.

If it's a holdout, then you have to act like it is and stick to it, but to act like you sat out to preserve your body and act like that would later pressure the Niners, is silly. To say that he contemplated holding out but is now here (right?) means that it's not a holdout.

So I guess what I'm saying, why mention the possibility of a holdout and negotiations for a new contract if you're not holding out and made it clear the time you missed wasn't a hold out? Just mention burnout.

It's like a person turning down a date and then saying they weren't playing hard to get and paying for the meal anyway. And then saying they're easy. And what, you're not going to chase?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, Brown is scheduled to make $2.925 million before his contract expires. Ideally, he would "love" a new deal before training camp begins in late July, and he's leaving the decision "up to my agent" on whether he'll hold out for a new contract rather than report.

Up to his agent on whether he will hold out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ouch! That's a chunk of change.

bvanthielriceyoung;3314923[I said:
"For me, I wanted to do a different type of training to get my body ready," Brown said. "Last year, I feel my body broke down a bit at the end of the season."

That explains his NFC Championship game performance.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch! That's a chunk of change.

That explains his NFC Championship game performance.

No kidding! Hopefully his agent has a couple mil. to loan him when the 9ers send him packing. If he were the "shut down" corner he claims to be ,then I might think differently.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you take taxes and commission into account, it's not that much money. I'd estimate it to be around 900k that his actually leaving on the table. I'm assuming those "bonuses" are still considered ordinary income, since it relates to his job.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When you take taxes and commission into account, it's not that much money. I'd estimate it to be around 900k

Man I wish I could honestly say that statement about myself.

I could buy 180 houses in Detriot for that much.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I wish I could honestly say that statement about myself.

I could buy 180 houses in Detriot for that much.

Lol. You would still have to pay property taxes on 180 houses.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When you take taxes and commission into account, it's not that much money. I'd estimate it to be around 900k that his actually leaving on the table. I'm assuming those "bonuses" are still considered ordinary income, since it relates to his job.

900k? That seems a little extreme.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
900k? That seems a little extreme.

He is in the 39.6% tax bracket (income over $400,001) and this is only Federal taxes! Not including state taxes. Commission is what? 2-5%?

Its between 900k and 1 million.