• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers biggest offseason need... running back?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is already getting slowed down by injuries and each year is most likely worse thanks to his age. I'm fully confident we get a starting caliber RB in the draft.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A good choice, as well is Isaiah Pead. Pead can be our kr/pr/3rd down back right away, while being groomed to take over for Gore. I've advocated for him all season, in the front pages of the draft thread, now he's shown up big at the Senior Bowl. We might have to spend a 3rd round pick on him now. He's a perfect wco back.

I'm also a huge fan of Robert Turbin. I feel we can't o wrong with any of these guys.

Jonas Gray Tribute - YouTube

Isaiah Pead Highlight: 2011 Big East Offensive POY - YouTube (Look at those hands)

Robert Turbin in BEAST MODE - Don't make him angry! - YouTube (6'1 220 lbs with hands)

All 3rd/4th round prospects.

I like Pead...! I also like Miller, LaMichael James (he wouldn't make sense since we got Hunter, but he's such a talent one may refuse to pass up on due to this immense talent / big play potential as receiving threat). But the player I want to add the most is Bryce Brown, as an UDFA. I'm ok going into next year with Dixon, Gore, Hunter. But if we were to spend an actual pick at that position it would have to be on guys like James/Miller/Pead. The thing is I don't want to spend a pick this year on that position, so in that case bring in an UDFA in Bryce Brown. In 2013 we can really focus in getting a back (free agency or draft) if Hunter, Brown doesn't pan out like we had hoped.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with James is his injury history. He reminds me of Javid (sp?) Best in that he is extremely explosive but gets banged up and hurt too often to justify the high pick. Best, even coming out of Cal, was an injury red flag.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Clyde, I'm a fan of Martin as well. I think that NOW we need to be looking for the next RB after Gore. If we wait until its obvious that Gore is not as useful, we put ourselves behind the 8 ball and in a position of desperation. Let the RB of the future ease his way into the starting role. I don't believe Hunter can be THAT guy every down, although I definitely see his use as a change of pace speed back.

I'm a big fan of Doug Martin, and I think he'll be an excellent compliment to Kendall Hunter as our future platoon. He's a tough inside runner, explosive, and does a pretty decent job in pass protection as well.

Another guy who really, really intrigues me is Ronnie Hillman. He reminds me a bit of LeSean McCoy from a play style standpoint.

I do like both of these guys more than most people, though. I have them in my top-5 RBs.

As underwhelming as this draft is, the RB position is stacked. I'd like to see us take advantage of that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There's plenty of other pieces to be added ahead of RB, but I am in favor of going with a RB again. We could get good use out of another versatile RB in this offense, just like we could out of a TE to supplement the weakness in WR. Think if we land a #1 or #2 WR in FA, it definitely opens up taking a RB early if that's the top rated player.

For this draft I'd focus on quality players over need, or trading picks for veteran players to fill need. This is a year where if you draft exclusively for need you'll probably be doing it again next year.

yeah ok, if RB is the top rated player left on the board, fine with me. but in general, agree with MW and Calamity......a year early. didn't we just sign Gore to a big contract? so if he's "broken down" already, that hurts.

we can't expect THAT much from Dixon as he was a 6th rounder.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah ok, if RB is the top rated player left on the board, fine with me. but in general, agree with MW and Calamity......a year early. didn't we just sign Gore to a big contract? so if he's "broken down" already, that hurts.

Good point!...I sometimes forget that he was picked up that late...

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference is to take Polk or Turbin in the 4th if they are still on the board. Certainly Martin instead if he slid until that late 3rd round pick. Cut Dixon. Ride Gore still, but continue to gradually give more carries to Hunter. In 2013, consider cutting Gore.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't RBs typically put on muscle weight from their rookie year to their 2nd season? Since they realize that they need to get much stronger to succeed at the NFL level? If Hunter packs on say 15-20 lbs of muscle, maybe the team already has its replacement for Gore.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Throw in a full offseason of workouts/conditioning and hopefully a healthy preseason, Gore and Hunter should make strides IMO....

Also, for me at least, with WR, RG(somewhat), OLB and perhaps CB(pending outcome), RB for me doesn't really standout as an issue to be addressed in the near future.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe Harbaugh reads SportsHoopla. My top two running backs in this draft FOR US were James and Polk.