• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49er mock draft options

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Alright.. so with 8 days until the start of the NFL draft, I was running through a couple scenarios for what our draft could look like.

Scenario one.

1st round: trade #30/#61 for ravens #18/5th next year -- Kyle Fuller, CB VT
2nd round: #56 -- Donte Moncrief, WR , Ole Miss
3rd round: #74 -- Marcus Martin, C USC
3rd round: #94 -- trade for 2nd/6th round picks in 2015
3rd round: #100 -- Justin Ellis, NT Lou. Tech
4th round: #129 -- Aaron Colvin, CB, OK -- IR
5th round: #170 -- DeAnthony Thomas, KR/PR/RB ORE
7th round: #242 -- Jeff Janis, WR Sag Val st.
7th round: #243 -- Bryn Renner, QB UNC
7th round: #245 -- Caleb Lavey, ILB Okie St

Scenario two.

1st round: stay at pick #30 -- Bradley Roby, CB OH st
2nd round: #56 -- Donte Moncrief, WR Ole Miss
2nd round: #61 -- Dominique Easley, DE UF -- Wk 11 IR
3rd round: #94 -- Justin Ellis, NT Lou. Tech
3rd round: #100 -- Brandon Thomas, G Clem -- IR

So.. I know HIGHLY unlikely we stay put at every pick as shown in scenario two.. but looking at that, I may be inclined to prefer option two.. Similar process as last year giving us two players we can stash on IR and their contracts bump a year and Easley can hang till wk 11 like Tank last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alright.. so with 8 days until the start of the NFL draft, I was running through a couple scenarios for what our draft could look like.

Scenario one.

Scenario two.

So.. I know HIGHLY unlikely we stay put at every pick as shown in scenario two.. but looking at that, I may be inclined to prefer option two.. Similar process as last year giving us two players we can stash on IR and their contracts bump a year and Easley can hang till wk 11 like Tank last year.

from what I've been reading here, the difference between Fuller and Roby isn't much, so I'd go with Option 2. if I'm wrong, do go ahead and get Fuller.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the main difference between Fuller/Roby is the press coverage this past year. Roby played a lot of 6-8 yards off shadowing guys whereas Fuller played a lot more in your face man coverage.. Physically there isn't much difference in their physical abilities, but I know a lot of people have pointed out Roby's off the field issues and his propensity for not showing up this past season. But the potential is there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the main difference between Fuller/Roby is the press coverage this past year. Roby played a lot of 6-8 yards off shadowing guys whereas Fuller played a lot more in your face man coverage.. Physically there isn't much difference in their physical abilities, but I know a lot of people have pointed out Roby's off the field issues and his propensity for not showing up this past season. But the potential is there.

then based off press coverage ability, I'd think we'll want Fuller. no problem if we trade up, cause go get they guy you REALLY want.

although the OVI is an issue, doesn't appear to be a serious issue in Roby? doesn't look like he has a history of it, and this incident wasn't THAT drunk. if so, wouldn't knock him down our draft board.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Sarcastically, if we have an opportunity to get a player that already knows how to play 7 yards off LOS and just shade a WR, we are in good shape.. don't need to teach him anything.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scenario one.

Scenario two.

Please keep in mind the following proviso...TO THE EXTENT that the various Fanspeak databases and simulations have some comparability to what actually happens on draft day (and there might well not be ANY!), I've found that far more often than not BOTH Fuller AND Roby are available at #30. So it may be that we won't need to trade up to get Fuller. Which makes option 2 preferable. Whether Fuller or Roby would be the preferred choice, well, that's a matter of "taste." FWIW, I don't think either is clearly superior to the other, and used to prefer Roby but have of late moved more into Fuller's camp.

As for your other picks, and again this is solely based on what I've observed in my simulations so it may have nothing to do with the real world, what I've seen is that Moncrief is usually gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes around. Not always, but usually. Which is too bad, because assuming we don't try to trade way up for a Watkins or an Evans, I think Moncrief is who we need to grab. We don't need another possession guy, we need someone capable of stretching the field. And I don't like any of the lower tier options (like Richardson). So if we want Moncrief, we may need to move up to make sure we get him.

I like very much the Martin pick, just not sure he'll be there that late. He'll be gone by the end of the 3rd; unfortunately, he may also be gone by the end of the 2nd.

A while back, would have loved the Easley pick, but I've cooled on him. Just don't think he really fits our scheme.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take option 1. I want nothing to do with Roby.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't pay any attention to the mock draft simulators in regards to when players are going. I have much more attention paid to ppl like Mike Mayock who have Fuller rated as the #1 CB in the draft, and Mel Kiper who have Fuller being a target for teams like the Rams/Jets/9ers.. to me that implies it would require a trade up to secure.

I haven't heard much buzz surrounding Moncrief and so I don't see much reason to anticipate him moving up into the 40's

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would take option 1. I want nothing to do with Roby.

what are your hesitations with Roby? I know some feel this way, I am just trying to get a feel for their concerns

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
oh and I meant #77 in scenario one for Marcus Martin. I didn't mean to sneak a trade up or anything.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
then based off press coverage ability, I'd think we'll want Fuller. no problem if we trade up, cause go get they guy you REALLY want.

although the OVI is an issue, doesn't appear to be a serious issue in Roby? doesn't look like he has a history of it, and this incident wasn't THAT drunk. if so, wouldn't knock him down our draft board.

I'm a homer so I will defend the kid. I don't think you did this purposely just wanted to clear a couple things in your post up. Please don't take this the wrong way. He pleaded down out of the OVI and he wasn't drunk, buzzed , or even close with the .008 alchohol level.

The kid has talent. He had a "down" year this year, but not horrid like some people claim. When Reid was drafted last year, people cried about how bad is year was, but ignored his previous year. Reid turned out pretty darn good for us. And if you watched the buckeyes defense last year, :L :gaah: pretty much sums up how bad it was. Not because of lack of talent, but because of scheme and play calling. Roby posses rare tools and he can become a top corner in this league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm a homer so I will defend the kid. I don't think you did this purposely just wanted to clear a couple things in your post up. Please don't take this the wrong way. He pleaded down out of the OVI and he wasn't drunk, buzzed , or even close with the .008 alchohol level.

The kid has talent. He had a "down" year this year, but not horrid like some people claim. When Reid was drafted last year, people cried about how bad is year was, but ignored his previous year. Reid turned out pretty darn good for us. And if you watched the buckeyes defense last year, :L :gaah: pretty much sums up how bad it was. Not because of lack of talent, but because of scheme and play calling. Roby posses rare tools and he can become a top corner in this league.

for me, THIS Roby incident doesn't seem serious, so I'm ok drafting the kid.

was trying to say I'm not condoning this behavior in general.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roby is overrated, he was torched in the Big Ten this year and my guy from Wisconsin killed him for over 200 yards in 1 game. If we move up we arent taking a CB we will get the best WR on the board

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walter's Mock Draft now has us trading up to #11 for ODB. I'd be a bit unhappy with that though since Justin Gilbert was still on the board. If we're trading up to #11 it had better be for an elite CB as the WR class is extremely deep this year.