• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4 passes in...

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why there absolutely should be a QB controversy in Chicago. 4 throws in, and he already tries to squeeze one in to a tightly covered Marshall, and throws a pick.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another forced throw to Marshall, another pick. There's a fucking shock. God damnit this is fucking annoying to watch.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back, welcome back welcome back, WOOOH

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rust is expected after a month in a cast/walking boot.

Thought he played very well. Made three or four poor throws in the first half.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rust is expected after a month in a cast/walking boot.

Thought he played very well. Made three or four poor throws in the first half.

I don't mind seeing rust in the form of overthrown balls, what I hated seeing was him forcing the ball into Marshall when he wasn't open. If he hasn't been watching the last month, he has weapons everywhere, and doesn't need to rely on Marshall for everything anymore.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Marshall did such a nice job of having Jays back while McCown was whipping ass.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind seeing rust in the form of overthrown balls, what I hated seeing was him forcing the ball into Marshall when he wasn't open. If he hasn't been watching the last month, he has weapons everywhere, and doesn't need to rely on Marshall for everything anymore.

This I agree with.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if you had been watching the first half of the season. You'd know that Alshon Jeffery was getting more targets than Brandon Marshall under Cutler in the last month or so before he got hurt.

Funny how all of the sudden no one remembers how Brandon Marshall was publicly stating that he felt neglected in the offense earlier this year.

Marshall averages 10.4 targets in the games Cutler has QB'd and 10.3 in the games McCown QB'd.

Cutler has spread the ball around just as good as McCown did. Yes, he forced the ball in the red zone to Marshall, but who says Jeffery was open? Haden was on him a lot today too. It's not unthinkable at all that he struggled to get open. The second INT, Marshall was open. He just didn't follow through and the ball sailed on him.

We all know he feels most comfortable with Brandon. It's not unusual that a QB would go to his safety net when he's trying to get into a rhythm coming back from injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you had been watching the first half of the season. You'd know that Alshon Jeffery was getting more targets than Brandon Marshall under Cutler in the last month or so before he got hurt.

Funny how all of the sudden no one remembers how Brandon Marshall was publicly stating that he felt neglected in the offense earlier this year.

Marshall averages 10.4 targets in the games Cutler has QB'd and 10.3 in the games McCown QB'd.

Cutler has spread the ball around just as good as McCown did. Yes, he forced the ball in the red zone to Marshall, but who says Jeffery was open? Haden was on him a lot today too. It's not unthinkable at all that he struggled to get open. The second INT, Marshall was open. He just didn't follow through and the ball sailed on him.

We all know he feels most comfortable with Brandon. It's not unusual that a QB would go to his safety net when he's trying to get into a rhythm coming back from injury.

There is a thing called a safety valve. A TE , RB etc. I don't give a shit about # of targets. When a guy is covered he is covered. But Jay continues to trust BM. That's not what the system is about. It's about finding the right match up . Obviously JAY hasn't master it as well as Josh.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a thing called a safety valve. A TE , RB etc. I don't give a shit about # of targets. When a guy is covered he is covered. But Jay continues to trust BM. That's not what the system is about. It's about finding the right match up . Obviously JAY hasn't master it as well as Josh.

Oh gawd... this again.

Brandon WAS OPEN on the second INT. Wide open, in fact.

Yes, he forced the first ball. However, mistakes are expected when coming back from a long term injury.

Also, please, re-read my original post. BM has just as many targets per game from McCown as he did from Marshall. The first quarter was literally the only time all year Jay has forced anything to BM.

Not surprising that people can't form an opinion without listening to Brian Billick tell you what to think though.

Yeah, CLEARLY Jay doesn't get the offense like McCown does. I mean, 31 points versus the 8th ranked defense on the road in the frigid cold, snow, and wind is just awful. McCown always played better than that. Especially against bottom tier defenses indoors on a fast track... right?... right? He never would have this offense looking pedestrian against the likes of the Rams or Vikings, would he?

ALL HAIL THE GREATEST QB OF ALL-TIME JOSH MCCOWN! THE WAY YOU PLAYED WELL VERSUS THE SAME DEFENSE MATT FLYNN LIT UP TODAY WAS UNBELIEVABLE! HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MANAGE THAT!? THE WORST STATISTICAL DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY, AND YOU THREW FOUR TD'S? HOLY SHIT!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the bear defense or special teams score, it does not matter which quarterback is playing. McCown had 13 td 1 pick. He just does not make the mistakes. If Cleveland did not give up running the ball the whole game would have been different, thanks norv turner.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the bear defense or special teams score, it does not matter which quarterback is playing. McCown had 13 td 1 pick. He just does not make the mistakes. If Cleveland did not give up running the ball the whole game would have been different, thanks norv turner.

He also doesn't make the big throws down the stretch of a game like Cutler does.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh gawd... this again.

Yes, he forced the first ball. However, mistakes are expected when coming back from a long term injury.

Also, please, re-read my original post. BM has just as many targets per game from McCown as he did from Marshall. The first quarter was literally the only time all year Jay has forced anything to BM.

Not surprising that people can't form an opinion without listening to Brian Billick tell you what to think though.

Yeah, CLEARLY Jay doesn't get the offense like McCown does. I mean, 31 points versus the 8th ranked defense on the road in the frigid cold, snow, and wind is just awful. McCown always played better than that. Especially against bottom tier defenses indoors on a fast track... right?... right? He never would have this offense looking pedestrian against the likes of the Rams or Vikings, would he?

ALL HAIL THE GREATEST QB OF ALL-TIME JOSH MCCOWN! THE WAY YOU PLAYED WELL VERSUS THE SAME DEFENSE MATT FLYNN LIT UP TODAY WAS UNBELIEVABLE! HOW THE FUCK DID YOU MANAGE THAT!? THE WORST STATISTICAL DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY, AND YOU THREW FOUR TD'S? HOLY SHIT!

Just curious Rich: What is the problem w/ reading my posts?
I continually say Josh has a better grasp of this O, than Jay. Which is obvious . No where have I said Josh is better than Jay period.
If Jay worked the system like Josh , we'd score every time we had the frickin ball.
Jay continues to target BM though he's covered. Which is problematic to me . Just think the check down would have been a better option on that 1rst INT.
Yes BM was open on the 2nd INT. Would have Josh missed that throw?

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in Cutlers defense, he played against a defense, Dallas has 00000000000000000 defense, they are like the 1978 buccaneers. Cutler played good on the road against a Legit defense in his first game in weeks. his 2 picks were balls deflected to the DBs, who were in good postion because they play on a good defense.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh gawd... this again.

I've probably watched more football than Billick. Don't need his thoughts to form my opinion.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I continually say Josh has a better grasp of this O, than Jay. Which is obvious . No where have I said Josh is better than Jay period.

Just curious 63, what's your problem with reading mine. This is your second time in a row now.

I am well aware of your "theory" that Josh has a better grasp on the O. I have addressed it numerous times in other threads. I'm telling you that he doesn't.

If Jay worked the system like Josh , we'd score every time we had the frickin ball.

LOL... Why? Because we did vs the worst defense in NFL history?

Jay continues to target BM though he's covered. Which is problematic to me.

Again, what's your problem with reading my posts. I've refuted this nonsense already. The first half of Sunday was literally the only time all year Jay has forced balls to BM. Under Josh, BM has seen 10.3 targets per game. Under Jay, 10.4.

In fact, on the Alshon TD, BM was the first read and Jay went to Alshon anyway.

For god sake... BM was bitching to the media two months ago about not being involved in the offense anymore because Alshon was KICKING HIS ASS in targets from Cutler. Cutler has done just as good of a job as Josh at spreading the ball around.

Just think the check down would have been a better option on that 1rst INT.

Perhaps, but a lot of times Jay takes the gamble and it pays off big time. We've all seen it many times. It was the opening drive of his first game back. The adrenaline was pumping, the Bears were on the move, and he wanted to make a statement. I'm okay with it. It was a catchable ball, and it wasn't as if BM was double covered. Should he have thrown it? In hindsight, no, but I'm okay with it.

I don't know, why is it relevant? Josh missed a TD throw in the back of the end zone to Martellus vs Dallas that you could easily argue Jay would have made. Do you really want to play this stupid game?

Jay appeared to not push off of his back leg as well to follow through on that throw. A slight mechanical error that he fixed, and then immediately began playing exceptionally well. A bit of rust is expected coming back after a month in a hard cast/walking boot.

After the second INT, Jay was 14 of 18 for 161 Yards for 3 TD's 0 INT's and a 145.8 QB rating.

On third down Sunday, Jay completed 11-of-12 passes to five different receivers for 152 yards, two touchdowns, seven conversions, and a perfect passer rating of 158.3.

His 3 TD's came to three different receivers. Earl Bennett, Martellus Bennett, Alshon, and BM all had four or more receptions. Martellus, Alshon, and BM all had 70 plus yards receiving.

And Cutler connected with Jeffery as many times as he connected with BM (six times). Martellus had five grabs.

Alright... finally. We can put that nonsense to rest now.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But i like McCown too, just wish he coulda got us a win in MINN

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious 63, what's your problem with reading mine. This is your second time in a row now.

I am well aware of your "theory" that Josh has a better grasp on the O. I have addressed it numerous times in other threads. I'm telling you that he doesn't.

Again, what's your problem with reading my posts. I've refuted this nonsense already. The first half of Sunday was literally the only time all year Jay has forced balls to BM. Under Josh, BM has seen 10.3 targets per game. Under Jay, 10.4.

For god sake... BM was bitching to the media two months ago about not being involved in the offense anymore because Alshon was KICKING HIS ASS in targets from Cutler. Cutler has done just as good of a job as Josh at spreading the ball around.

Perhaps, but a lot of times Jay takes the gamble and it pays off big time. We've all seen it many times. It was the opening drive of his first game back. The adrenaline was pumping, the Bears were on the move, and he wanted to make a statement. I'm okay with it. It was a catchable ball, and it wasn't as if BM was double covered. Should he have thrown it? In hindsight, no, but I'm okay with it.

I don't know, why is it relevant? Josh missed a TD throw in the back of the end zone to Martellus vs Dallas that you could easily argue Jay would have made. Do you really want to play this stupid game?

Jay appeared to not push off of his back leg as well to follow through on that throw. A slight mechanical error that he fixed, and then immediately began playing exceptionally well. A bit of rust is expected coming back after a month in a hard cast/walking boot.

After the second INT, Jay was 14 of 18 for 161 Yards for 3 TD's 0 INT's and a 145.8 QB rating.

On third down Sunday, Jay completed 11-of-12 passes to five different receivers for 152 yards, two touchdowns, seven conversions, and a perfect passer rating of 158.3.

His 3 TD's came to three different receivers. Earl Bennett, Martellus Bennett, Alshon, and BM all had four or more receptions. Martellus, Alshon, and BM all had 70 plus yards receiving.

And Cutler connected with Jeffery as many times as he connected with BM (six times). Martellus had five grabs.

Hell no. Just think if Jay understood the O as well as Josh . We'd be unbeatable. Even w/ our D.
Turn-overs kill teams. Josh has followed the system and had 1 pick ( I know he could have others, but the same could be said for Jay).
My comments have nothing to do how a QB plays VS a certain D whether it be good or bad.
Just their execution of the O. Which takes into consideration protecting the ball, moving the chains, and putting points on the board. Both played in the Wash. game. It would be hard to argue that Josh didn't have the better game that day.
Again not saying Josh is better but has a better grasp of the frikin system.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell no. My argument is that Josh has better understanding of the O than Jay period.
Don't care who did what against good or bad D's .
Both played in the Wash. game. It would be hard to argue that Josh didn't have the better game.
W/L , TD/ INT, all figure in how QB performs.
I personally look @ turnovers as big part of QB play.
Josh has minimized that aspect while still being productive.
Jay has 2 picks in 1 quarter of action.
Need we continue this conversation?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. Just think if Jay understood the O as well as Josh . We'd be unbeatable. Even w/ our D.
Turn-overs kill teams. Josh has followed the system and had 1 pick ( I know he could have others, but the same could be said for Jay).
My comments have nothing to do how a QB plays VS a certain D whether it be good or bad.
Just their execution of the O. Which takes into consideration protecting the ball, moving the chains, and putting points on the board. Both played in the Wash. game. It would be hard to argue that Josh didn't have the better game that day.
Again not saying Josh is better but has a better grasp of the frikin system.

As far as the WSH game. Jay only played two full series before his injury. Scoring a TD on one of them. So, it was really too early to make that assumption.

I may be willing to concede that Josh is better at operating within the limitations of the offense, while Jay is willing to take gambles. As where Josh would dump it or throw it away. However, that's also what makes Jay a better QB. He has that big playmaking ability. He has the ability to force balls into impossible windows. You can't try to take that away from him.

I agree Jay needs to allow the offense to come to him a bit more. However, that's ALL apart of the process here. That's why a new offensive system usually doesn't begin to kick into high gear until about halfway through year number two.

That's also why once this offense does begin to gel under Jay, the ceiling is TEN times higher than it is under McCown. IMO, you already saw the ceiling under McCown. High percentage throws, play it safe, etc... Probably score in the mid 20's most weeks. There wasn't really anywhere to go. With Cutler, this offense can soar.

And yes, 63, you were always only saying McCown knew the system better. However, you also said he was the better option right now. Which I believe is 100% off.