• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/27 Puds @ SammyJam

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually may hurt us more than help us. The Pads are in LA this weekend.
Ehhh, bird in the hand and all that. Kill 'em all now and let God sort it out later.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What, no love for JLo here??? A clean .2 of an inning!!! Baby steps.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the risks one takes when one allows one's pitcher to throw 120 pitches in the previous outing.

I dunno. Would need to see some data to back up your inference.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously...

I think that throwing a lot of pitches does tend to effect the next outing. I remember Cain, after his Perfecto, became a very average pitcher after. I have not done the research, and am basing my statemtn on anecdotal memory, but it does seem to happen that way.

However, I think this game by Sammy had more to do with his getting iced every inning by the Giants offense than any fatigue he happened to have from his prior start. He simply was not able to get into a solid rhythm because he was sitting in the dugout for 20+ minutes after taking the mound for 7 mins.

Not an excuse, though. An Ace-level pitcher should be able to stay focused. Heck, Arrieta's no-no last week was in the midst of an 18-0 drubbing. Not that Sammy is an Ace, but this is State's evidence 45b as to why he is not an Ace.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously...

I think that throwing a lot of pitches does tend to effect the next outing. I remember Cain, after his Perfecto, became a very average pitcher after. I have not done the research, and am basing my statemtn on anecdotal memory, but it does seem to happen that way.

I think the same thing happened with Timmeh after his nil-nils against the Padres. IIRC, he threw 148 pitches in one of them, and a high number in the other.

It would be a hard thing to prove, and I'll try to find evidence tonight, but it stands to reason that a pitcher only has so many effective pitches in his arm over a given period of time.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the same thing happened with Timmeh after his nil-nils against the Padres. IIRC, he threw 148 pitches in one of them, and a high number in the other.

It would be a hard thing to prove, and I'll try to find evidence tonight, but it stands to reason that a pitcher only has so many effective pitches in his arm over a given period of time.

sure, I don't think anyone would disagree with a general conclusion like that. I'm just not convinced that the number is 117+ for SammyJam, or any pitcher. For some, that number might be 95, others 140. And there are some for whom 140 pitches one start may not affect them at all in the next.

I'd be interested to read anything you find though.