• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 4/17 SammyJam @ Pure Evil

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utterly disappointing.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see the old Duffman soon.

A pessimist would worry that maybe last year was kind of an aberration, that he wasn't a top prospect and didn't project to be an all-star level player like he was last year. But I'm not that pessimist (yet)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say Posey had the flu, and Bumgarner had it as well.

If it is anything like the flu I had in March, it can last for a few weeks. I don't know how these guys can go out and compete at a high level if they feel like crap. And if those two have it, I wonder who else in the locker room has it.

Here's to better health, and better playing.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pessimist would worry that maybe last year was kind of an aberration, that he wasn't a top prospect and didn't project to be an all-star level player like he was last year. But I'm not that pessimist (yet)

I think he will snap out of it. Kuip on the radio was saying that in Colorado, Duffy hit four consecutive bullets, and had nothing to show for it. Kuip thinks it got in his head a little. With Duffy's swing, he should be darn near slump proof. But it's a new season. And "what have you done for me lately" begins anew.

I think he will be OK. If he's below .200 at the end of April, I may begin to worry some.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffys cap play is not a concern yet, but it certainly is on my radar. At least his d is still somewhat solid.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffys cap play is not a concern yet, but it certainly is on my radar. At least his d is still somewhat solid.

I think we can make him a better player by batting him 3rd again in front of Posey, where he can see a steady diet of fastballs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can make him a better player by batting him 3rd again in front of Posey, where he can see a steady diet of fastballs.
But then that defeats the entire strategy of batting Pagan 9. They want Posey batting every 1st inning, but still batting cleanup in the order. By batting Duffy 3, that pushes Posey down to 4 and he has a dbl-play monster right in front of him.

Duffy, right now, is not a good 3 hitter.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But then that defeats the entire strategy of batting Pagan 9. They want Posey batting every 1st inning, but still batting cleanup in the order. By batting Duffy 3, that pushes Posey down to 4 and he has a dbl-play monster right in front of him.

Duffy, right now, is not a good 3 hitter.

I would agree with the fact that Duffy, right now, is not a good 3 hitter. I'm not sure about the thought process with the pitcher hitting 8th and the true benefits of that if the pitcher is not named MadBum. I know the lineup implications, I know the theories behind it, I just don't know if it plays out that way more consistently then it doesn't.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with the fact that Duffy, right now, is not a good 3 hitter. I'm not sure about the thought process with the pitcher hitting 8th and the true benefits of that if the pitcher is not named MadBum. I know the lineup implications, I know the theories behind it, I just don't know if it plays out that way more consistently then it doesn't.
I don't know that it is possible to know whether it is a good strategy or not. There are simply too many variables involved to know either way. However, with the right set of players, I fully believe it makes sense. And I think this team has that set of players.

Still, ignoring the 9/8 thing, I still do not think Duffy belongs in the 3 hole. His production simply does not show that to be beneficial. He isn't hitting at all, but when he is 0utting it in play, it is a weak huffer.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that it is possible to know whether it is a good strategy or not. There are simply too many variables involved to know either way. However, with the right set of players, I fully believe it makes sense. And I think this team has that set of players.

Still, ignoring the 9/8 thing, I still do not think Duffy belongs in the 3 hole. His production simply does not show that to be beneficial. He isn't hitting at all, but when he is 0utting it in play, it is a weak huffer.

Question for you then...this isn't a "gotcha" question, more trying to understand your train of thought. You said that you don't think that he belongs in the 3 hole. Was this how you felt last season when he was? Or is this more relevant now because he's hitting Mendoza?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for you then...this isn't a "gotcha" question, more trying to understand your train of thought. You said that you don't think that he belongs in the 3 hole. Was this how you felt last season when he was? Or is this more relevant now because he's hitting Mendoza?
More because he is sucking right now.

The #3 hitter should be bringing clout to the spot on his own, then you use the #4 hitter to ADD to his bopper-ness.

Last year, we did not have Pence, therefore we REALLY only had two boppers in the lineup, so you had to make due with what you got. Putting him in the 3 spot lengthened the lineup. This year, with Pence back, we have 3 legit boppers, so you can go more traditional and have your big boys 3/4/5.

3 also has some ego-weight. The guy who hits there needs to earn it. Duffy, right now, belongs at the bottom of the order, not the heart.

I realize this is likely just a slump. Please do not interpret this as my throwing in the towel on the kid. I am not. But he also does not have the track record to be able to hit in the heart of a solid lineup when he has a prolonged slump like this. He needs to establish a longer track record to get that kind of treatment.