• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 5.29 Rook @ dogs

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEEEYYYY! Wisler's in!!

I've gotta turn this off....I'll check back in later.
I guess I have my answer. We score 11 and win by 5...tzill not happy

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orange County?

Damn.

Infiltrate and double cross?

P.S. how do you afford it?
I run into fellow Giants' fans from time and time, and Angels and Giants' fans hold one thing in common, a disdain for the Dodgers.

Both the wife and I work, and that only gets a rental.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the dude behind home plate in the Giants jersey ... What cap does he have on?

It's black with white letters...

Is it a throwback S.F. Seals cap?

I used to have a black cap with white letters with orange border. It was just an alt cap. I liked it because it was slightly unique, though I don’t think the style had ever been used in game.

nice to see 2 fans decked out in Giants gear behind the plate, though...
Hope they make it through the parking lot without some thugs jumping them.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grew up in MN. Moved to Walnut Creek. Finished college at Berkeley. Moved to SoCal. Came back to the Modesto area. I understand Modesto is now a bedroom community for the Bay Area.
That area became a bedroom community at least in the 90s. My dad was hired on to Modesto Fire Department in 1991 and commuted from Fresno to Modesto for about 16 years for work. Many times our family looked at moving up there (Riverbank, Oakdale, north side of Modesto, Turlock) but the reason for staying put usually was the same, housing prices in that area were much more expensive than Fresno's and that was mostly because people were moving into the area from the Bay Area and were commuting all the way.

I hear that has been going on from Bakersfield for about 20 years as well. Fresno being so far away from both major metro areas has kept housing prices more reasonable . . . by California standards.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have my answer. We score 11 and win by 5...tzill not happy

After all this time I would think that you'd have a litle more understanding of how tzill tends to relate to SF baseball in general. He's happy that we win but he's also clearly not always satisified about 'how we win'. He's never happy about a loss and he is rarely satisified about 'how we lost'. In almost all cases he not satisfied or happy with the bullpen at all.

tzill's level of satisification seems to be tied to the metrics around 'how we played the game'. He's very attuned to the pitching metrics. I think that he feels that a SP should be measured against the Quality Start metric. Not a bad metric I must admit. But, we have little to complain about in the SP arena.

The pen is actually horrid by almost any metric you want to use. As a team we have 20 losses, The pen is responsible for 10 of those losses. That's a 50% rate. In 4 of those losses they had a lead or 4 or more runs. We can sugarcoat that figure as much as we want .... but it is an ongoing issue for this team.

We are almost at the 1/3 mark of the season and we are in 1st place. Who on this board actually thought this would be possible when our season started? Hell ... I wasn't sure we'd be over 500 at this point.

The SP has been great .... I have to believe that FZ will look at the pen and try to do something to stabilize it. We are competitive. We are in the race. I don't think we will have a full collapse. I think this can be a very enjoyable year for us all. Something we never expected .... for me tzill is that little voice of reason that holds us all in check ... he's the anti-BoB ..... for any of you that remember BoB!!!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all this time I would think that you'd have a litle more understanding of how tzill tends to relate to SF baseball in general. He's happy that we win but he's also clearly not always satisified about 'how we win'. He's never happy about a loss and he is rarely satisified about 'how we lost'. In almost all cases he not satisfied or happy with the bullpen at all.

tzill's level of satisification seems to be tied to the metrics around 'how we played the game'. He's very attuned to the pitching metrics. I think that he feels that a SP should be measured against the Quality Start metric. Not a bad metric I must admit. But, we have little to complain about in the SP arena.

The pen is actually horrid by almost any metric you want to use. As a team we have 20 losses, The pen is responsible for 10 of those losses. That's a 50% rate. In 4 of those losses they had a lead or 4 or more runs. We can sugarcoat that figure as much as we want .... but it is an ongoing issue for this team.

We are almost at the 1/3 mark of the season and we are in 1st place. Who on this board actually thought this would be possible when our season started? Hell ... I wasn't sure we'd be over 500 at this point.

The SP has been great .... I have to believe that FZ will look at the pen and try to do something to stabilize it. We are competitive. We are in the race. I don't think we will have a full collapse. I think this can be a very enjoyable year for us all. Something we never expected .... for me tzill is that little voice of reason that holds us all in check ... he's the anti-BoB ..... for any of you that remember BoB!!!!
Just to quibble...

We are 1.5 games behind the Padres, in second place.

Though, with our record, we would be in first in any other division in baseball except the AL East, where we would be tied with the Beaneaters for second.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thanks SF. Your check is in the mail. FWIW, I think we've moved past the QS metric as it doesn't really work in the 2021 environment. That said, maybe I'll go back and apply it to see.

Nonetheless, spot on. I hate when we lose. I accept well played 3-2 losses as I could never hit and hitting is largely a mystery to me. I enjoy blowout wins as does everyone. I also am very uncomfortable with shitshow pitching wins. They feel like dodging a bullet to me. But, I'm a lunatic as some would say.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks SF. Your check is in the mail. FWIW, I think we've moved past the QS metric as it doesn't really work in the 2021 environment. That said, maybe I'll go back and apply it to see.

Nonetheless, spot on. I hate when we lose. I accept well played 3-2 losses as I could never hit and hitting is largely a mystery to me. I enjoy blowout wins as does everyone. I also am very uncomfortable with shitshow pitching wins. They feel like dodging a bullet to me. But, I'm a lunatic as some would say.
Thats Correct GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a perfect understanding of how tzill relates to baseball. That's why I tease him, he's nuts. But I love the guy, wish he enjoyed the game more.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a perfect understanding of how tzill relates to baseball. That's why I tease him, he's nuts. But I love the guy, wish he enjoyed the game more.
Is it weird that I read that in Jeff Kent voice?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think that he enjoys the game .... but to a much different set of metrics than most of us here on the board .... he tends to quantify both wins and losses more than anyone else I have ever met .... but I think that is the foundation for his enjoyment. He enjoys all the analysis and the associated highs and lows. For me a win is a win and a loss is a loss ... but ... I can draw some direct associations to his position .... back in my younger days as my kids were growing up I had the privilage of coaching one of their softball teams .... as a coach I usually tended to think somewhat along tzill's lines ... winning was always important .... but how they played the game always seemed to set a sense of priority for me ... a win was great ... but there was always tmorrow's game to think about ... never really enjoyed the 'win' as much as I should have .... but since I'm not a Giant coach .... I'll gladly take the wins as they roll along and enjoy the excitement of the season .... this is the privilege of being a fan .....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think that he enjoys the game .... but to a much different set of metrics than most of us here on the board .... he tends to quantify both wins and losses more than anyone else I have ever met .... but I think that is the foundation for his enjoyment. He enjoys all the analysis and the associated highs and lows. For me a win is a win and a loss is a loss ... but ... I can draw some direct associations to his position .... back in my younger days as my kids were growing up I had the privilage of coaching one of their softball teams .... as a coach I usually tended to think somewhat along tzill's lines ... winning was always important .... but how they played the game always seemed to set a sense of priority for me ... a win was great ... but there was always tmorrow's game to think about ... never really enjoyed the 'win' as much as I should have .... but since I'm not a Giant coach .... I'll gladly take the wins as they roll along and enjoy the excitement of the season .... this is the privilege of being a fan .....
Of course he can do what he likes, but I massively enjoy games that go back and forth and we win 8-5 or 12-7 or whatever. I enjoy 1-0 wins too. I enjoy more games than tzill does.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he can do what he likes, but I massively enjoy games that go back and forth and we win 8-5 or 12-7 or whatever. I enjoy 1-0 wins too. I enjoy more games than tzill does.
This reminds me of people who insist that I'm too highbrow in my taste in TV and films. If I could just not hate reality TV I'd "enjoy more things."

Sorry, can't do it. Moundshats are shatted mounds.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of people who insist that I'm too highbrow in my taste in TV and films. If I could just not hate reality TV I'd "enjoy more things."

Sorry, can't do it. Moundshats are shatted mounds.
It's simple math. You're a fan of well pitched baseball. I'm a fan of baseball. I like more games than you.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t stand 12-7 games. When I see that game, all I see are pitchers who can’t do anything effectively. On either side.

I think the perfect game is a 3-2 game. Every AB matters. Every run feels like the end of the world. Pitchers know what they are doing.