• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd pick of the draft

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With Hall and Seguin being pretty much locks at 1 & 2 for the upcoming draft, who do the Panthers take with the 3rd pick? Should they even take the pick at all, or would they be better off trading down?

The Panthers needed that 2nd pick more than Boston. :mad:

Rossinole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gudbranson. But maybe Boston will be kind and let them have the second pick??

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gudbranson. But maybe Boston will be kind and let them have the second pick??

I doubt it, there's rumors the Bruins may try to trade up to guarantee they get Taylor Hall. From what I've read, there still is some talent after Hall and Seguin.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Hall and Seguin being pretty much locks at 1 & 2 for the upcoming draft, who do the Panthers take with the 3rd pick? Should they even take the pick at all, or would they be better off trading down?

The Panthers needed that 2nd pick more than Boston. :mad:

I think Florida should flip the pick to Calgary for Jay Bouwmeester :)

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the story with Jaybo, Dash? I remember thinking he would be a nice addition on the back end of Lidstroms career, and he ended up in Calgary. Hardly heard a word about the guy all season. Can you notice any trends in his game this year that might indicate what kind of season he might have next year?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the story with Jaybo, Dash? I remember thinking he would be a nice addition on the back end of Lidstroms career, and he ended up in Calgary. Hardly heard a word about the guy all season. Can you notice any trends in his game this year that might indicate what kind of season he might have next year?

I expect to see a much better season out of JayBo next year. I think the entire team focused so much on defensive play and cutting down on the goals against that the entire offense suffered. JayBo was fine in his own end, but he was holding back on the offensive side of his game (it makes you wonder if that was under orders by the coaching staff). He was starting to show more offensive flair towards the end of last season which bodes well for this year.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, there's rumors the Bruins may try to trade up to guarantee they get Taylor Hall. From what I've read, there still is some talent after Hall and Seguin.

i can't imagine doing that. seguin is still insanely talented...i mean, not that long ago there were the hall doubters. i really don't see going wrong with either.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can't imagine doing that. seguin is still insanely talented...i mean, not that long ago there were the hall doubters. i really don't see going wrong with either.

It's all about position. The Bruins are really all set at center, it's wingers they need. Could Seguin maybe switch to wing?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about position. The Bruins are really all set at center, it's wingers they need. Could Seguin maybe switch to wing?

i mean, i don't see why not. he's pretty young still. i just can't see trading what will probably be a great amount to get a guy that's 'probably' better.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect to see a much better season out of JayBo next year. I think the entire team focused so much on defensive play and cutting down on the goals against that the entire offense suffered. JayBo was fine in his own end, but he was holding back on the offensive side of his game (it makes you wonder if that was under orders by the coaching staff). He was starting to show more offensive flair towards the end of last season which bodes well for this year.

I wouldn't expect much offense from him. That's just the way he is. For the most part, he's a stud defensively; logs big minutes. However, he's always been streaky offensively, and he plays a quiet game, if you know what I mean. Even his 15 goal season here, you look at his gamelogs and you notice that he just had some very big games. However, he had stretches both at the beginning and end of the year (by that time it seemed like he just wanted to get out of here) where he produced nothing, offensively.

Regarding the Panthers, they really can't take Fowler. They already have their Bouwmeester 2.0. Dmitry Kulikov should be a #1 D man when all is said and done, and he's actually more of an offensive D man, imo. I would imagine they go Gudbrannson is they go D man. The more physical, defensive D man type guy.

With that said, I really hope they take a forward. They've spent enough time drafting/signing D men. It's time for a difference maker at forward. What does everyone think about Connolly (without injuries :p)?

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does everyone think about Connolly (without injuries :p)?

A couple months ago I had an online chat with someone who works with the scouts about this year's draft. Here's what he had to say about Connolly (it's kind of in regards to the Bruins)...

IMO, Brett Connolly is a waste of time for any Boston-centric draft discussion. His wonky hip is too iffy for him to be a legitimate threat to break into the top-two, but he's got enough upside to possibly go inside the top-10 or thereabouts, so barring a significant tradeup, he's not going to be a Bruin (and I don't know that they would do that given the potential that he's got a chronic injury). He was lousy at the under-18, though. That's not going to help him...two scouts told me that his skating was off (likely due to the hip) and he looked like he was hurt. When healthy, very good player, but not in the elite upside category of Hall or Seguin. Good enough to be a top-five pick in this class, but with the hip questions, looks like he's going to fall a bit.

From everything that I've read his potential is a half notch below Hall/Seguin. If not for the injury issues, he'd be a lock for the third forward taken in the draft. Here's someone else's (a Panthers fan) opinion...

He's a big power forward who also plays a finesse forward's game. A hybrid, similar to Horton, more of a power forward than Horton though. Not as good a skater as Horton though. I'd say he's an above average skater, but not what you'd call a good one. He's far from slow though. Difficult to describe but let's just say skating isn't a problem. His finishing skills are exceptional, if he gets the puck anywhere near the net with time and space there's a good chance it's going in. I'd say Hall and Seguin could become more prolific goal scorers in the NHL because they have other assets that Connolly does not, but if I had to pick one of them for a shootout, I'd pick Connolly.

He's a good stickhandler, is good along the boards. Likes to go to the net and hangs around there. He has the size and strength to power past defenders and take the puck to the net, and he can also make some pretty stickhandling moves to beat defenders as well. Is a decent playmaker. He's a rightie too, which we need more of.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A couple months ago I had an online chat with someone who works with the scouts about this year's draft. Here's what he had to say about Connolly (it's kind of in regards to the Bruins)...

From everything that I've read his potential is a half notch below Hall/Seguin. If not for the injury issues, he'd be a lock for the third forward taken in the draft. Here's someone else's (a Panthers fan) opinion...

The Panthers fan post I saw, I believe, on hfboards one day. Not sure. Seems like the injuries are quite a concern, though. I'm hoping the Panthers trade down. The likely scenario seems to be Gudbranson though, imo. Especially now with Tallon on board; Gudbranson seems like his type of guy, based on the description of Tallon's wants for building this team.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN figures you'll take Cam Fowler
2010 TSN Draft Lottery Edition Rankings

I thought I had read that he dropped to #5 in the ISS rankings though.

You're correct. They currently have Brandon Gormley at #3.

2010 ISS Top 30

There are so many different rankings and this is the only one I've seen that has Gormley that high. I got to watch him play a hand full of times this season and while he was a good player I didn't think he was spectacular enough to be a 3rd overall pick. But then again I'm no scout and he was playing on a team with some talented older defenceman. Hopefully he goes high and makes the team and doesn't go back to Moncton next year. ;)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tallon is keeping things close to the vest. If Connolly is healthy he'd be a logical choice. However, if he isn't then Florida takes the highest rated defenseman probably or trades down. Fowler & Gudbransen are both visiting Columbus & L.I. Apparently those are the only two cities they're visiting. It wouldn't surprise me if Tallon trades the pick to a team looking at one of the defenseman or Jack Campbell.