• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3 yr 105 million for Geno

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THis was a smart, team friendly deal that allows Seattle to still draft a developmental QB if they want to and let him sit and learn how to put in the work from Geno. Essentially, they are paying a base salary to Geno of $26 mil per for 2 years with a bunch of incentive money if things go well. Why don't we wait and see what they do with the draft picks before we go off ranting and raving like a bunch of idiots. Seattle just put themselves in a favorable position to manipulate other teams on draft day and can load up on their weakness. They can trade this pick for more assets. They could draft the 3rd QB on the board and have the benefit of letting him learn before throwing him into the fire, (something a lot of teams can't do and it usually ruins the young prospect). Or they can still go ahead and draft the best non QB on the board and find a future QB with a later pick. They have a 2 year window with an above average option at the position while they actually build a "team" that can contend. They didn't break the bank here and have a ton of options. Y'all need to calm down and let these guys do their job. If Geno earns that extra 30 mil in incentives. it means he plays even better than last season and that isn't a bad thing.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess that's a no on a QB on the #5 pick then!
We had a GM in Ryan Pace that signed a quarterback to try to trick the league into thinking he was not choosing a quarterback and he ended up trading up from 3 to 2 to draft Mitchell Trubisky.
This is a situation where I can see Richardson going at 5 because he needs 2 years to develop.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They bailed on the rebuild for geno. Geno. Now they'll be too good to get a QB. It's not as if he killed it all year. He was doing nothing baker mayfield and andy dalton weren't doing at the end of the year lol.
So they should have just bit the bullet and tanked, in your opinion? How often has that actually worked for a team? Having the option to be competitive and putting a worse team out there to lose instead?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they should have just bit the bullet and tanked, in your opinion? How often has that actually worked for a team? Having the option to be competitive and putting a worse team out there to lose instead?
Having a top QB works. You can get lucky with Hurts or russel wilsons, but usually not. Geno should be getting slightly more than backup money and the team should be trying to replace him.

At the very least, why not tag him instead and see if last year was the aberration it appears to be?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at their last 4 games of the season... Give me Geno every time if you're going to take these stats into consideration... Plus, 2 of Geno's games were against top 5 defenses over that span...

Baker:
View attachment 322753

Geno:
View attachment 322754
Those numbers suck. Look again. And that was with Lockett and Metcalf. Two of the best WRs in the league. The Rams were running trash out there.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those numbers suck. Look again. And that was with Lockett and Metcalf. Two of the best WRs in the league. The Rams were running trash out there.
Just stop... Tyler missed a game there due to his broken finger and wasn't the same the remainder of the season... How did Baker do against one of the worst defenses in the NFL (the Seahawks) in the last regular game of the season? Again... Just stop... Just admit you were wrong and move along...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stop... Tyler missed a game there due to his broken finger and wasn't the same the remainder of the season... How did Baker do against one of the worst defenses in the NFL (the Seahawks) in the last regular game of the season? Again... Just stop... Just admit you were wrong and move along...
Geno on that Rams' slop offense earns himself a $100,000,000 contract? No.

Stop pretending these situations were the same for producing stats. Just stop.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a top QB works. You can get lucky with Hurts or russel wilsons, but usually not. Geno should be getting slightly more than backup money and the team should be trying to replace him.

At the very least, why not tag him instead and see if last year was the aberration it appears to be?
DaFuq? Just "having a top QB" is an option for any given team at any time? Well, fuck, in that case, I agree that the Hawks just shat the bed with Geno's contract.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A "top QB" and a QB drafted at the top of the draft are 2 entirely different things. Sure, you can find a great QB in the top 5, "but usually not."

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth noting that you had an elite rookie corner and a really good rookie RB and you guys beat the Chargers with your defense. That said, I will admit that I didn't factor in your playoff loss against the Niners as the most important game of the season and Seattle at least put up a fight on offense in that game. The baseball fan in me says not to bank on Geno and you guys should've taken advantage of the rookie QB contract but I strongly suspect that the Bears are getting some sort of RG3 type of trade for the #1 pick and I think whoever jumps on that is likely losing out on whatever advantage the QB contract gives.

Best I can tell, Seattle is really feast or famine when it comes to the draft. Ultimately, the more swing at the draft Seattle takes the better

In the last like 10 years there has been only like 4 Qbs taken in the top 10 that actually turned into franchise players so realistically of the 4 QB prospects being talked about you already know the Texans and Colts are taking QBs and IF the Bears trade back like you mentioned then we could be left with one. Also without any trades odds are someone will slip down the draft board and that guy is usually a bust.

If Pete and John have a QB that they both really like and he is available I am down for them to draft him but god forbid Geno leaves in FA and we are left with

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I 100% agree with this the most overrated thing to do as a franchise especially in the NFL and possibly NBA is tanking. Maybe if the season started and your team was hit with season ending injuries then I guess go for it but tanking cultivates a losing culture in the locker room. Your divisional opponents are super confident in beating you every year and you expect a 21 year old rookie QB to come in and save the franchise. It somewhat worked with Andrew Luck and the Colts but that was coming off the Peyton Manning winning there for so many years. Other than that I dont think there is a case study where this worked.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 100% agree with this the most overrated thing to do as a franchise especially in the NFL and possibly NBA is tanking. Maybe if the season started and your team was hit with season ending injuries then I guess go for it but tanking cultivates a losing culture in the locker room. Your divisional opponents are super confident in beating you every year and you expect a 21 year old rookie QB to come in and save the franchise. It somewhat worked with Andrew Luck and the Colts but that was coming off the Peyton Manning winning there for so many years. Other than that I dont think there is a case study where this worked.

It only makes sense if it coincides with one of the once in a generation types of talent being available. The last one I can think of is also Andrew Luck, and it may have worked out if the team that tanked for him didn't have an absolutely atrocious O line that ended up ending his career. None of the QBs in this draft fit that mould, so no, tanking, as is @eaglesnumbnuts's opinion, would have been monumentally stupid.

There are too many working parts in a football team, season to season, to think sacrificing an entire year of 21 starting players is worth the lottery ticket of 1 rookie.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It only makes sense if it coincides with one of the once in a generation types of talent being available. The last one I can think of is also Andrew Luck, and it may have worked out if the team that tanked for him didn't have an absolutely atrocious O line that ended up ending his career. None of the QBs in this draft fit that mould, so no, tanking, as is @eaglesnumbnuts's opinion, would have been monumentally stupid.

There are too many working parts in a football team, season to season, to think sacrificing an entire year of 21 starting players is worth the lottery ticket of 1 rookie.
Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. The QBs in this draft class really aren't all that special, imo. There's a couple of legit starters at the top and the rest are projects. Maybe next year Caleb Williams is the guy everyone covets but aside from Luck and maybe Trevor Lawrence, there really hasn't been a surefire guy going into a season that an organization could even consider tanking for in the last 2 decades. Burrow wasn't on anyone's radar until he had that phenomenal final year in college. Allen was a raw project coming out of college and did something few have done in improving in leaps and bounds. Mahomes had the talent but was unknown and under rated by many and also had the benefit of sitting a year and learning from Alex Smith under Andy Reid. The common theme for most of these good to great, young QBs is they went to the right situation. Not some tanking dumpster fire. Just ask Browns fans about losing seasons and never getting the pick right. One thing about the Seahawks is they now have options and their hand isn't forced. They could still pick Richardson and let him watch and learn or if one of the defensive studs is there, take him to shore up that side of the ball. Or leverage that pick into a haul. And they did it without a gross overpay. It's a middle of the road deal that is exactly where Geno presently is.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall how contracts are supposed to be. Teams should be offering big contracts based on what they think a player will be going forward, not what he has already done. Seems to me with so many teams with massive amounts of money, this goes out the window. It's fucked up.