• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 3) Philadelphia Sixers vs 6) Brooklyn Nets

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L2M shows that there are missed/blown calls in pretty much every game in the last 2 minutes. Kinda unavoidable because the refs don't have perfect views of every play and they can't review each play and keep the game watchable.
I think the amount of missed calls presents an opportunity for the league to try to get as close to a balanced game as possible by adding one additional ref.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No not for that call. Just saying for a missed call that determines whether someone advances, we should know if that ref got fined.
I'm with you, I think they should be held accountable.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Fines should be limited to really egregious blown calls where the refs CLEARLY should have called the play properly. I'm thinking Rams-Saints conference finals game.
And maybe applied to the refs that hand out tech's like breath mints that end up getting rescinded by the league. The tech on Duncan while he was on the bench is a great example. Or more recently the tech called on Boogie for throwing that shoe off the court mid game to make sure someone didn't fall on it & get injured.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And maybe applied to the refs that hand out tech's like breath mints that end up getting rescinded by the league. The tech on Duncan while he was on the bench is a great example. Or more recently the tech called on Boogie for throwing that shoe off the court mid game to make sure someone didn't fall on it & get injured.

I think Joey Crawford did get punished for that ejection of Tim Duncan. That's the only time I can remember a ref being disciplined, though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the amount of missed calls presents an opportunity for the league to try to get as close to a balanced game as possible by adding one additional ref.

Adding a ref won't change a thing unless that ref is watching replay and reviewing all action as it happens.

3 refs, 4 refs, 6 refs.

Refs are human and will miss stuff watching in real time.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding a ref won't change a thing unless that ref is watching replay and reviewing all action as it happens.

3 refs, 4 refs, 6 refs.

I get they make many bonehead calls, but sometimes fans don't get how hard the sport is to officiate (along with the NFL). A lot of big guys who are also incredibly fast and athletic in the same area. Sometimes you can see a replay over and over and still not be sure about a call.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get they make many bonehead calls, but sometimes fans don't get how hard the sport is to officiate (along with the NFL). A lot of big guys who are also incredibly fast and athletic in the same area. Sometimes you can see a replay over and over and still not be sure about a call.

Yep.

Basketball is extremely hard to officiate. IMO it is the most difficult to ref.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 refs, 4 refs, 6 refs.

It's crazy that it used to just be a two-man crew.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Tough call for me. I could see a strong argument for the NFL.

Toughest calls in each sport are these IMO......The block/charge is a very tough call to make but you have 3 guys who are close enough to see it (still tough, I know). How about a sideline throw in the NFL? Usually only one guy as close as the 3 who can see the block/charge in the NBA game. Have to see if he has possession, retains possession, feet in bounds, was he interfered (or did he interfere, I guess).

Guessing we both know baseball not even in the same ballpark (pardon the pun).

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

It's funny how we all could be at home or in the stands screaming that's a travel, carry, or double dribble, and the ref standing right there don't call it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call for me. I could see a strong argument for the NFL.

Toughest calls in each sport are these IMO......The block/charge is a very tough call to make but you have 3 guys who are close enough to see it (still tough, I know). How about a sideline throw in the NFL? Usually only one guy as close as the 3 who can see the block/charge in the NBA game. Have to see if he has possession, retains possession, feet in bounds, was he interfered (or did he interfere, I guess).

Guessing we both know baseball not even in the same ballpark (pardon the pun).

Soccer is really tough as well. It's a huge field and refs can be 20 or 30 yards away from a play and expected to make calls on really tight plays.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is really tough as well. It's a huge field and refs can be 20 or 30 yards away from a play and expected to make calls on really tight plays.
I don't doubt it. Just don't watch it to know.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 refs, 4 refs, 6 refs.

yeah, I keep hearing this topic debated. adding a 4th ref is only going to take up floor space imo. plus the refs are getting the majority of the calls right anyhow...

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 refs, 4 refs, 6 refs.

I get that - and if the additional ref is only reviewing plays will clean the game up then I'm all for it.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think hockey is the easiest sport to ref.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't watch enough to know (almost none), but hard to imagine it's easier than baseball.

I don't watch a lot of hockey either. But when I do, I've never seen a player/coach go at it with the refs.

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this thread is about to be over tonight.

Last edited: