• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 3) Philadelphia Sixers vs 6) Brooklyn Nets

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the 1.5 interpretation... I think Embiid wanted to throw that elbow and knew exactly what he was doing, but Embiid is (unfortunately) cagey enough to throw elbows in just such a fashion that it's not completely obvious... from there, he's a star and he gets the benefit of the call.

Yep.

He knew what he was doing. It was intentional.

That said, it was also a basketball move. Post players are taught to pivot with their lead elbow up like Embiid did on the play. He didn't swing it and he kept his left hand on the ball selling the basketball move play.

Under the current rules a flagrant 1 was the correct call given the force of the blow to the head. But in 1993 that might have been an and 1 with Embiid shooting the freethrow.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben 1-7 on contested 3s currently

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

That said, it was also a basketball move. Post players are taught to pivot with their lead elbow up like Embiid did on the play. He didn't swing it and he kept his left hand on the ball selling the basketball move play.

Under the current rules a flagrant 1 was the correct call given the force of the blow to the head. But in 1993 that might have been an and 1 with Embiid shooting the freethrow.
As you suggest... post players may have been taught to do such back in the 1980's or whatever, but they aren't taught that today... making contact with that move is an insta-flagrant foul in today's game. Embiid is lucky he didn't catch Allen with the edge of his elbow (looked like he hit him in the chops with his arm just beneath the shoulder)... direct elbow contact likely would have drawn blood, and Allen spitting blood likely would have been enough to bring the Flagrant 2 call.

Your commentary reminds me of my dad, though... he wasn't the best B-ball player, but he was old school. When he got a rebound the first thing he did was put his elbows out, pivot, and swing 90 degrees or so. If someone was in his way... too F'n bad.

Anyway: my dad, my older brother and I played in a "Hoop it Up" 3-on-3 basketball tournament (anyone remember those?) about 20 years ago... most of the competition was younger than my dad, who was about 40 at the time. First game my dad snagged a rebound and did his elbow thing... the 20 yo dude guarding my dad took major umbrage, he wanted to fight almost... I remember my dad couldn't understand where this young kid was coming from... that's just how you play basketball!

Good times.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

i'm curious on this whole elbow story line to when it get's to the press conference. i don't think embiid was doing anything other than a strong basketball move, though maybe he did some extra out of frustration. he pushed dudley from frustration in game one. i don't think the elbow was due to the press conference of him laughing. he yelled at ben earlier this year for hitting him in the face going after a rebound and later clarified he was sensitive about being hit in the face due to his mask wearing days of last season, so I don't think he takes being hit in the face lightly. perhaps just the SportsHoopla around what he felt was a routine basketball play. sixer fan stan, out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you suggest... post players may have been taught to do such back in the 1980's or whatever, but they aren't taught that today... making contact with that move is an insta-flagrant foul in today's game. Embiid is lucky he didn't catch Allen with the edge of his elbow (looked like he hit him in the chops with his arm just beneath the shoulder)... direct elbow contact likely would have drawn blood, and Allen spitting blood likely would have been enough to bring the Flagrant 2 call.

Your commentary reminds me of my dad, though... he wasn't the best B-ball player, but he was old school. When he got a rebound the first thing he did was put his elbows out, pivot, and swing 90 degrees or so. If someone was in his way... too F'n bad.

Anyway: my dad, my older brother and I played in a "Hoop it Up" 3-on-3 basketball tournament (anyone remember those?) about 20 years ago... most of the competition was younger than my dad, who was about 40 at the time. First game my dad snagged a rebound and did his elbow thing... the 20 yo dude guarding my dad took major umbrage, he wanted to fight almost... I remember my dad couldn't understand where this young kid was coming from... that's just how you play basketball!

Good times.

It is hard.

Definitely a flagrant call today.

But it also probably wouldn't have been even 5 years ago. An offensive foul for sure, but not a flagrant, IMO. Rule interpretations have gotten stricter in terms of flagrant/non flagrant over the last few years.

I am willing to bet most post players currently in the NBA were taught to pivot with their elbow up. But I agree that current teaching philosophy is changing along with the rules.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm curious on this whole elbow story line to when it get's to the press conference. i don't think embiid was doing anything other than a strong basketball move, though maybe he did some extra out of frustration. he pushed dudley from frustration in game one. i don't think the elbow was due to the press conference of him laughing. he yelled at ben earlier this year for hitting him in the face going after a rebound and later clarified he was sensitive about being hit in the face due to his mask wearing days of last season, so I don't think he takes being hit in the face lightly. perhaps just the SportsHoopla around what he felt was a routine basketball play. sixer fan stan, out.

When I first saw the play I thought Flagrant 2 for sure. Saw it again and agreed with Shaq, Flagrant 1.5. It was a basketball move but you could tell it was just more than that and yes probably the frustration had some to do with it. Glad they didnt throw him out even though I am not fan of the guy

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I’m not an nba fan, but watching ESPN this morning, it was pretty clear that Embiid and Simmons are lovers, and Simmons is the bottom.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no clue what brett is thinking going with monroe to start the game.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I’m going to start watching some NBA ball. First time all year

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sixers be scoring, need to get that defense figured out.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Dudley looks ancient out there. He has to have grandkids

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
team's playing well sans embiid. haters going to hate, yadda yadda, dude needs to be healthy next series (i mean he doesn't...........

Four4Four

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing person founded

WELCOME BACK TOBIAS!!!!!!!