• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 3 Game With Orioles

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of them watching a 1st pitch strike down the middle... You should only take a pitch if you're in Junior High or if your name is Edgar, Ichiro, Tony Gwynn, Pete Rose, Manny, etc...

Hahaha, what?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, what?
LOL... I definitely didn't explain myself... :D ... Junior High - pitchers were wild for the most part - so yeah, take a pitch... Other guys I listed, are great contact hitters so it didn't matter if they had 2 strikes on them or not... The guys on our roster, can't hit their way out of a paper bag if they are down in the count... There is a reason why the M's have seen the most 1st pitch strikes of any team so far this season... They just don't swing at them... That's on the coaching staff... MLB network said the other night that the M's lead the Majors with 1st pitch strikes thrown to them... Coaching staff should be telling them to be more aggressive at the plate until the opposing pitchers finally take us seriously...

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL... I definitely didn't explain myself... :D ... Junior High - pitchers were wild for the most part - so yeah, take a pitch... Other guys I listed, are great contact hitters so it didn't matter if they had 2 strikes on them or not... The guys on our roster, can't hit their way out of a paper bag if they are down in the count... There is a reason why the M's have seen the most 1st pitch strikes of any team so far this season... They just don't swing at them... That's on the coaching staff... MLB network said the other night that the M's lead the Majors with 1st pitch strikes thrown to them... Coaching staff should be telling them to be more aggressive at the plate until the opposing pitchers finally take us seriously...

This makes more sense than "Never take a pitch unless you're 12 or in the hall of fame"

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea you may as well get used to the not spending money part as the Mariners are unlikely to ever make a real attempt ( with the check book ) at fielding a championship contending team. Being profitable is their #1 goal, winning is #2.

The Mariners woes of 2021 boils down to single stat line: a 207 team batting avg ( 2nd worst in all of MLB - 30 teams ).
the entire 9 man line-up is a 'weak spot' and no opposing pitcher has any concern whatsoever about men on base, even when facing the heart of the Ms batting order.

Its a 'rebuilding year ... just like 2022 and 2023 and all subsequent years. Yea they will show some sparks of life and play some stretches of games like a legit contender and even make a run of 13-2 to start a season like a couple years ago. But the MLB season is 162 games and the cream always rises to the top and the non compete teams fall to the basement of various divisions to only dream about 'next year'.

Love them or hate them, they are our team and I support and believe in them, but have realistic expectations as to what I truly believe can and will happen moving forward.

Kelenic will be a nice shot in the arm most likely around the all star break. He will mash the ball for a few years as a Mariner and then go to the highest bidder around 5-6 years down the road. He will constantly be pitched around by opposing pitchers as 1 single legit hitter in a line-up of .225 hitters is no threat when you are OK with walking him to 1st after trying to get him to chase balls off the plate as you pitch around him in the line-up. There is not a single Mariners batter you can hit behind him that will keep pitchers honest. Maybe 1-2 yrs down the road Julio Rodriguez is that guy ... we will see.
Yea its mostly hitting.

But if you are so committed to a 6 man rotation at all costs, you need to make sure you commit resources and make sure you always have 6 guys. Having a 6 man rotation and yet have to have a bullpen day is beyond ridiculous. Plus the 6 man rotation obviously isn't keeping guys any healthier. This team has enough holes on offense, why add one on pitching staff because you just want to make sure your philosophy is the right thing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea its mostly hitting.

But if you are so committed to a 6 man rotation at all costs, you need to make sure you commit resources and make sure you always have 6 guys. Having a 6 man rotation and yet have to have a bullpen day is beyond ridiculous. Plus the 6 man rotation obviously isn't keeping guys any healthier. This team has enough holes on offense, why add one on pitching staff because you just want to make sure your philosophy is the right thing.
Here is one of a million problems with a 6 man rotation, you need 9 to 10 true starters that are major league level to complete a full season. It takes at least 8 pitchers to complete a season with a 5 man so it only extends the need for more quality pitching in your system with a 6th man and we either don't have that or are unwilling to use the youngsters to make it happen.

And I will say it again, how is the 6 man rotation working for us health wise? 3 men down in first 20 games so...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also posted this on the Minor League thread.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one of a million problems with a 6 man rotation, you need 9 to 10 true starters that are major league level to complete a full season. It takes at least 8 pitchers to complete a season with a 5 man so it only extends the need for more quality pitching in your system with a 6th man and we either don't have that or are unwilling to use the youngsters to make it happen.

And I will say it again, how is the 6 man rotation working for us health wise? 3 men down in first 20 games so...
yeah exactly. If they had no injuries it would work ok in their situatuion, (no true ace, a few guys with innings limits) But it requires really investing in the rotation and where as this team refuses to invest in anything.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adios to Mills and Tapia- Just breaks my heart..... :trash: :pound: :amen: I firmly believe and agree 100% with @MarinersBestFan that ownership's priorities are NOT putting together a winning team if it means spending money. I'm not so confident that Jerry and Scott make the best of decisions. I like "some" of the moves Jerry has been making, particularly with the farm system. The fact JD continues to hang on to his (OTJ training) pal Servais who absolutely does not show any growth in dealing with the pitching staff leaves me wondering why? The only thing I can come up with is that Scott is Jerry's puppet and YES man. (I think we all know the issues Jerry had with the LA mgr) Servais, IMO, is not a competent MLB Manager. Just my opinion is all.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to nickname Dunn, “Wild thing”

our coaching staff is terrible. We got a guy throwing who can’t throw strikes and is known for walking many hitters, yet we blow through the bullpen the night before. smart coaching and strategy.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunn throwing a lot of pitches early. At least the bullpen is well rested oh wait nvm

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This pitcher had a 7.5 era 2.5 hr/9 coming in and we can’t touch him. Not sure why I’m doing this to myself

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might just buy MiLB and watch minors ball instead

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Dunn has definitely lasted longer than I thought he would... Kelenik says, “Hi”

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs better hitting in the worst way.

Give Kelenic a good week at AAA and pencil him in at LF every day.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 hits through 7. Right on our average of 6.5 hits per game. Didn't we use to average 6.5 runs per game at one point in our history???

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just our luck we had to face Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver in back-to-back games...