• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2nd Round: Cleveland Cavs vs Toronto Raptors

Who wins? How many games?

• Cavs in 5 or less.

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Raptors in 5 or less.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Cavs in 6 or 7.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Raptors in 6 or 7.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Potato Salad.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you better hope he makes good personnel decisions. Business decisions are far down the line now- thats for sure--- that doesnt even appear to be his role at this point- at least not his main role.

If the Lakers get good are you going to switch back to being a Lakers fan?

Pelinka is a slimy bastard- but thats what you need in that position--- the ole nice guy/adhere to the rules to a T Kupchak is not there anymore which is nice. You know Pelinka wont bat an eye doing morally dubious things in order to win.

In many ways, business and personnel decisions are one and the same. Gotta have the players to put the butts in the seats that provide revenue and also to bring in the advertising dollars that run the business.

Agree re: Pelinka vs. Mitch. Mitch was a great GM for a long time and was a big part of several titles. However, his insistence on following the rules was putting the Lakers in the position of having to play catch up in FA. That can work when you have a team that is already good and just needs an FA or 2 to finish the deal. It doesn't work when you are trying to rebuild.

As a former agent, Pelinka is familiar with both sides of the negotiation process which, in theory, could give the Lakers an advantage at the negotiating table. I can't wait to see what happens this off-season now that the Lakers actually seem to have a direction and plan.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In many ways, business and personnel decisions are one and the same. Gotta have the players to put the butts in the seats that provide revenue and also to bring in the advertising dollars that run the business.

Agree re: Pelinka vs. Mitch. Mitch was a great GM for a long time and was a big part of several titles. However, his insistence on following the rules was putting the Lakers in the position of having to play catch up in FA. That can work when you have a team that is already good and just needs an FA or 2 to finish the deal. It doesn't work when you are trying to rebuild.

As a former agent, Pelinka is familiar with both sides of the negotiation process which, in theory, could give the Lakers an advantage at the negotiating table. I can't wait to see what happens this off-season now that the Lakers actually seem to have a direction and plan.
for sure- there are definitely advantages to both Magic and Pelinka- especially when yo uconsider who the yare replacing.

the one thing that is a double edged sword is that they have zero experience. Not that they are unqualified- but when you have zero experience there is usually a learning curve.

I think - for example- last year the Browns went through a learning curve having hired depodesta and compnay....this year they seemed to have things a lot more under control and ready to go and smoothed out.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't most people cheer for a alternate team when their #1 squad has been eliminated?
Yep, see TJL and his recent conversion to a Cavs fan. I just happen to like two teams all season long regardless of whether they win or lose.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Cleveland in 6.

I think most of the contests will be tightly contested, but Cavs sheer fire power will help them prevail. But I do think this will probably be the toughest test they face in the playoffs until the finals because I don't really see any team on the other side giving them any sort of real challenge.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I think Toronto will push them to 7 games but ultimately lose. I really like the addition of Ibaka for Toronto in this matchup. Really like Joseph to have a good series. I guess we'll see. I'd be shocked to see the Cavs take it in 4 or 5 . . . but stranger things have happened.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't most people cheer for a alternate team when their #1 squad has been eliminated?

Not from my experience. Basketball is a little bit different than most sports, though, because it's driven so much by the star players. Even if you're not a LeBron or Curry or Durant or Lillard or whoever fan, how can you not appreciate watching them play? So I think people tend to just start cheering for guys that they like watching.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players watched the Raptors' Game 6 win over the Milwaukee Bucks at a steakhouse Thursday night -- Cavs general manager David Griffin picked up the tab -- while Cavs coach Tyronn Lue hosted close to 100 team employees at his house for a viewing party complete with catering and valet car service.

"I just like the adversity of the road. Home cooking is great, love the home fans for 14 years. But I love playing out on the road more than I love playing at home. It's just a weird thing. I love the adversity, I love the, 'Tonight is not the night' LeBron slogans. I love the 'You're overrated' and all those things. I like all that. I don't know man. It's the bunker mentality of knowing it's 15 guys plus the coaching staff and whoever there that's traveled with us against the whole state and the whole city."

LeBron James
James will look to extend his personal NBA record of 27 series with winning a road game when the series shifts to Toronto for Game 3. His teams have won a road game in 35 of the 38 playoff series he's played in his career.

Based on that track record, does James view every series he plays in as his team holding an automatic 1-0 lead considering that guaranteed road win that's coming?

"No built-in advantage," James said. "Doesn't mean I'm going to be able to win a road game in this series. Just play the game. For me, I just go out and try to win every game and do whatever it takes to help our team be successful. (We are) going to a hostile building in Game 3 and Game 4 (at the Air Canada Centre) and we know that. Their fans are unbelievable. I stated that last year after we closed that series out. Doesn't mean we're going to be able to win this year. We've got to go out and make it happen. We have to worry about Game 1 first."

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from my experience. Basketball is a little bit different than most sports, though, because it's driven so much by the star players. Even if you're not a LeBron or Curry or Durant or Lillard or whoever fan, how can you not appreciate watching them play? So I think people tend to just start cheering for guys that they like watching.
Meh....to each his own.

After tonight, you might see me repping the Spurs.

They are the only Team capable of stopping the Warriors...imo

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs in 5

2VgcweP.png

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for sure- there are definitely advantages to both Magic and Pelinka- especially when yo uconsider who the yare replacing.

the one thing that is a double edged sword is that they have zero experience. Not that they are unqualified- but when you have zero experience there is usually a learning curve.

I think - for example- last year the Browns went through a learning curve having hired depodesta and compnay....this year they seemed to have things a lot more under control and ready to go and smoothed out.

Agree.

They hired a head coach with no head coaching experience and a President and GM with no front office experience. So, naturally there will be mistakes made.

Fortunately, the Lakers are committed to a total rebuild of both the team and FO, so they are in position to be patient and wait for everyone to learn. If it works, it could really be something pretty cool.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah i agree with this totally- i do exactly that with RW

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. I'd also add that because it's such a star driven sport, folks will watch almost as much to see a star they don't like lose as they will to watch one they do like win. But either way, they'll watch.