• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we're lucky, he'll bring production similar to Hurst. I'm not expecting a pro-bowl year. it seems people overhype new free agents every f'n year.
FWIW - If Hudson had played 17 games last year instead of just 12 - he would have been on pace for more receptions than Hurst.

I think Gesicki will be in that area - probably 50-60 receptions...and that's about what you need from him...again, this isn't a guy coming in to be an All-Pro/Pro-Bowl TE that is going to help carry this offense. They don't need that. They already have Chase, Higgins, Burton, Moss, Brown, and Burrow...

What this offense has needed is someone that can settle in the middle of that field to help take advantage of when defenses are going to load up the back end and take away the deep balls. Someone that can just find the open spots and settle in. Much like Hurst was able to do, and much like Hudson was able to do.

I don't think I see anyone out there advocating that Gesicki is going to be a Kelce or Kittle type of TE. First, he's not in that mold. Secondly, this offense does not need that kind of production out of the TE. They just need a guy who is going to be a competent safety valve.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW - If Hudson had played 17 games last year instead of just 12 - he would have been on pace for more receptions than Hurst.

I think Gesicki will be in that area - probably 50-60 receptions...and that's about what you need from him...again, this isn't a guy coming in to be an All-Pro/Pro-Bowl TE that is going to help carry this offense. They don't need that. They already have Chase, Higgins, Burton, Moss, Brown, and Burrow...

What this offense has needed is someone that can settle in the middle of that field to help take advantage of when defenses are going to load up the back end and take away the deep balls. Someone that can just find the open spots and settle in. Much like Hurst was able to do, and much like Hudson was able to do.

I don't think I see anyone out there advocating that Gesicki is going to be a Kelce or Kittle type of TE. First, he's not in that mold. Secondly, this offense does not need that kind of production out of the TE. They just need a guy who is going to be a competent safety valve.

no, F that! He's our Dennis Pitta!!! Superbowl guaranteed!!!

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I think of Gesicki as a more athletic and more accomplished Hudson. He doesn't give you a ton in the blocking role for a tight end, but having him on the field creates some mismatches based on how the defense plays you because he can line up on the slot or on the line. I also think the coaches found a little something with 12 personnel (2 tight ends) last season. You can get Sample in the game and he does a lot of things with blocking for the run and pass and then pair him with Gesicki much the same way they did with Hudson last year. He doesn't need to be an every down player to have a major impact on scheme. I think he's going to be great here.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think of Gesicki as a more athletic and more accomplished Hudson. He doesn't give you a ton in the blocking role for a tight end, but having him on the field creates some mismatches based on how the defense plays you because he can line up on the slot or on the line. I also think the coaches found a little something with 12 personnel (2 tight ends) last season. You can get Sample in the game and he does a lot of things with blocking for the run and pass and then pair him with Gesicki much the same way they did with Hudson last year. He doesn't need to be an every down player to have a major impact on scheme. I think he's going to be great here.
The exciting thing about this offense is that, while no one is really going to be heads over heels better than guys they may be replacing...they are all going in the right direction.

Boyd gone. Burton in.

Hudson/Sample still here, Smith gone. Gesicki in.

Mixon gone. Moss and Brown in.

Jonah gone. Mims, at a this point, in.

While guys like Boyd and Jonah will leave with their experience and that will absolutely be missed...you simply can't argue that their replacements offer a much higher ceiling, and potentially a higher floor just on athleticism alone.

However, on Gesicki specifically - he brings in a bit more athleticism at the TE spot that can be used both inline and out - and with teams focusing on Chase, Higgins and likely Burton, maybe Jones some - on 3rd downs with Chase's ability to catch and run (as evident by last years screens) - suddenly this team has A LOT of options to keep the chains moving - my biggest gripe of this offense over the past few seasons. Add in an upgraded OL....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think overall, we have improved. I don't think Moss will light it up offensively, but rbs are not used as bowling balls much anymore. the NFL rules and offense has changed. Mixon was going to get hurt anyway.

Boyd, although he has been a great player for us, started dropping balls in very important drives. and these were passes that could not be blamed on the QB.

Jonah was not Jonah anymore.

Smith was a wasted signing, overhyped. Gesicki is likely to contribute.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mims earning a lot of rave reviews....good to see early.

It's clear that both Jones and Yoshi have taken big steps forward. I think the WR is going to have some really good depth this year....finally.

It's good to see Bell back - you can already see/read about how communication has picked up in the secondary. They don't have to be worlds better...just better, and I think they will be.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mims earning a lot of rave reviews....good to see early.

It's clear that both Jones and Yoshi have taken big steps forward. I think the WR is going to have some really good depth this year....finally.

It's good to see Bell back - you can already see/read about how communication has picked up in the secondary. They don't have to be worlds better...just better, and I think they will be.
I saw a really good video of Mims on Twitter - He ate Miles Murphy alive. Now, you could just read that as reasons for pessimism about Murphy, but honestly, it's easy to see why Mims will be a problem for pass-rushers. I'm sure Watt and Garrett will have their moments against him. I'm sure he'll have to hone his technique a little more. But, he is a massive human and the athleticism really shows.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a really good video of Mims on Twitter - He ate Miles Murphy alive. Now, you could just read that as reasons for pessimism about Murphy, but honestly, it's easy to see why Mims will be a problem for pass-rushers. I'm sure Watt and Garrett will have their moments against him. I'm sure he'll have to hone his technique a little more. But, he is a massive human and the athleticism really shows.
His long frame and ability to shift his feet laterally are going to make him a real issue in pass-protection.

You're right - elite guys will have success here and there, but everyone else is going to have a massive struggle to get by him...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine this, too...

You're Myles Murphy - going up against Mims every day....

Then you get out there in games, and it's not a guy like Mims....The guy across from you is a little slower. A little less agile. A little less long. A little less explosive....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First big injury of camp: Cam Sample out for the year. Not a huge blow, but certainly hurts that depth/rotation.

Starters are expected to see some run in the 1st game...but flexible with regards to some spots due to being cautious with early minor injuries or soreness.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First big injury of camp: Cam Sample out for the year. Not a huge blow, but certainly hurts that depth/rotation.

Starters are expected to see some run in the 1st game...but flexible with regards to some spots due to being cautious with early minor injuries or soreness.
It's a tough blow. Hendrickson almost always gets beat up at some point every season. Hubbard had an injury last year. Ossai has never been healthy for a whole season. Depth will be an issue at the edge position and it will likely be an issue on the interior line as well. It would be awesome if they could swing a Billy Price/BJ Hill type of trade again at the end of camp, but that's probably too much to ask for. I wonder if anyone is curious about Jackson Carman. LOL.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough blow. Hendrickson almost always gets beat up at some point every season. Hubbard had an injury last year. Ossai has never been healthy for a whole season. Depth will be an issue at the edge position and it will likely be an issue on the interior line as well. It would be awesome if they could swing a Billy Price/BJ Hill type of trade again at the end of camp, but that's probably too much to ask for. I wonder if anyone is curious about Jackson Carman. LOL.
Yeah, it's a blow to the depth, for sure...but it's not like he was super great in that role. He was a body. A capable body, but is also a replaceable body...at least IMO.

Agreed on Ossai, but when healthy he has produced at a bit higher level...again, IMO at least it seems.

Going to really need Murphy to step up this year...so, you have Hubbard/Hendrickson and then Murphy/Ossai - which is pretty good (Health not withstanding).

After that you have Carter who is a tweener DT, but could likely rotate out to Hubbard's spot and be a run-DE kind of guy.

I would NOT be surprised if you saw some of Jenkins at DE in a pinch...while bigger for DT, he's athletic enough to be a problem out on the edge...likely not a pure rusher, but again - would at least hold up in run defense very well.

I think, to your point, the Bengals will look around to see if there is a veteran DE available to add to the depth.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a blow to the depth, for sure...but it's not like he was super great in that role. He was a body. A capable body, but is also a replaceable body...at least IMO.

Agreed on Ossai, but when healthy he has produced at a bit higher level...again, IMO at least it seems.

Going to really need Murphy to step up this year...so, you have Hubbard/Hendrickson and then Murphy/Ossai - which is pretty good (Health not withstanding).

After that you have Carter who is a tweener DT, but could likely rotate out to Hubbard's spot and be a run-DE kind of guy.

I would NOT be surprised if you saw some of Jenkins at DE in a pinch...while bigger for DT, he's athletic enough to be a problem out on the edge...likely not a pure rusher, but again - would at least hold up in run defense very well.

I think, to your point, the Bengals will look around to see if there is a veteran DE available to add to the depth.
I hear the Bengals are pretty bullish on Cedric Johnson, our 6th round pick right now. Johnson has made a huge impression on Orlando Brown Jr.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes, you never know how good an NFL player is going to be until you put them in the games.
This list of pre-season HOF players is a lengthy one...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You leave DeeDee Dorsey and Auden Tate out of this.
Seriously!? You leave DeDe Dorsey's name out of your mouff!!

Will Smith Slap GIF by DevX Art