• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give credit to Tee Higgins. I think most guys would have gone the Bates route and not even signed the tag until the 4th or 5th week of camp. Tee went out and actually played a football game in the preseason. He's built a little differently than most receivers.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize his performance was against street free agents, but I think it's pretty clear that Jermaine Burton is the third best receiver on this team from a talent stand point. This will only be more frustrating when Taylor continues to roll out TI, Simmer, and Yoshi during the first two months of the season. Its the Marvin Lewis, lets bury the talented rookie on the depth chart playbook and I don't get it.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize his performance was against street free agents, but I think it's pretty clear that Jermaine Burton is the third best receiver on this team from a talent stand point. This will only be more frustrating when Taylor continues to roll out TI, Simmer, and Yoshi during the first two months of the season. Its the Marvin Lewis, lets bury the talented rookie on the depth chart playbook and I don't get it.
I wonder if Burton’s depth chart spot is a motivation tactic. Given his diva reputation. Make him earn his reps.

The Bengals know how good the kid is. Taylor was elated when they drafted him. The talent has popped from his first practice in Cincinnati. Can’t imagine they keep him behind plugs like Trent Irwin very long.

Speaking of plugs…what is it gonna take for the Brown family to finally cut bait on the Jackson Carman project? 3 holds and a 1 false start…against street free agents. Gave up the pressure on the 4th down snap that cost them the game. Complete and total bust of a pick. Is there really NO ONE else out there to be the 5th OT?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but like, if you end up picking burton at the end of your fantasy draft, you gotta hold that stock until it matures.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Burton’s depth chart spot is a motivation tactic. Given his diva reputation. Make him earn his reps.

The Bengals know how good the kid is. Taylor was elated when they drafted him. The talent has popped from his first practice in Cincinnati. Can’t imagine they keep him behind plugs like Trent Irwin very long.

Speaking of plugs…what is it gonna take for the Brown family to finally cut bait on the Jackson Carman project? 3 holds and a 1 false start…against street free agents. Gave up the pressure on the 4th down snap that cost them the game. Complete and total bust of a pick. Is there really NO ONE else out there to be the 5th OT?
He also has a 2.3 million dollar cap hit - That's not much, but given he probably isn't among our top 4 or 5 tackles at this point, you would figure he gets cut.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burton played well, but has a long way to go.

Guys in front of him know the playbook and several of them can play inside and out.

He'll get there, but there isn't a reason to rush him out there when he doesn't know the full playbook.

Not to mention, these other guys have 2-3+ years of experience with Burrow - there's a familiarity involved as well.

Again, Burton will get there. He's talented. He's going to shine. Let's not rush it...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back over some clips that have been posted...

Positives:

Burrow - welcome back. Love seeing him get 1 session - and I would like to continue seeing him get 1 session through the Pre-season. I know I might be in the minority - but this team cannot be in a situation to get off to a slow start. Keeping Burrow, and the 1st team, under live reps in each game will, IMO, help them be ready to hit the ground running come game #1.

I thought Dax played well. Looks way more confident and fluid playing CB than in space at S. Bengals have a really, really promising rotation in the secondary with a TON of flexibility.

Thought the backup DE's did OK - Gunter had a .5 sack, Johnson had a sack...and he's the guy that has turned heads in camp. Big chance for these guys to step up with Sample out for the year. Looked like limited PT for Ossai, but 1 tackle/Tackle for Loss. Murphy - 2 QB hits. Really need 2 of these guys to step up and show they can hold their own and allow for Hubbard and Hendrickson to rest a bit more, be a bit more fresh and impactful, and of course - healthy.

Despite the OL play with the backups - no sacks...and generally I thought they were OK....except one...LOL

WR play was really solid. I think you see Yoshi really starting to benefit from that off-season camp/training he attended. He's going to be a key depth guy in this offense, and also will allow them to spread teams out with Burton. Speaking of - showed he's much better than a likely backup, but also still needs some time to get everything down. It's not going to be in the too distant future that he is going to be a major headache for teams when they have to cover Chase, Higgins, AND Burton...and when they go 4 wide....whoooooo

Mims is a really large human being. He was blocking guys without even blocking them. There were 1 or 2 plays where he was blocking someone and they brought an extra defender...and the guy ran into Mims because he was just taking up so much room....lol

Bad:

Rotational DT's.....yikes. Now, I know McKinley Jackson didn't play as he's banged up. So is Tufele. So, that would go a long way to helping that rotation, but if either of those guys look to miss some time leading into the season, the Bengals will need to look to add a big bodied DT.

I know this is a little nitpicky for a pre-season game - but the prevent defense leading to that last TD drive for TB was amazingly and mind-numbingly dumb. I hate it in the regular season. They just let them chunk their way down the field. TB also ran the same play what looked like 5 times in a row...just to the wide side each time. Play-action, QB roll out, hit the TE who had a delayed drag. No one on the defense could seem to remember to do their job and cover the TE. It was like when you play Madden and your buddy just keeps running the same play over and over again because you can't stop it. Was not a fan of this approach to end a game - even if it is Pre-Season. If EVER there were a time to tinker and do something "different" in this situation - Pre-Season would be it!

Down Right Ugly:

It is past time to end the Jackson Carman experiment. It didn't work. Sucks. He's a local guy who had a very nice HS and College career, but this dude is NOT an NFL player - even at a backup level. Just doesn't have that mindset, IMO - and after 3+ years at this point...if he can't even show out against guys who will be bagging groceries in 2 more weeks....what does that say about him?

Also, can we end the Brad Robbins experiment as well. 39 yard punt. He did end with an 50 yard average, but it took a 60 yarder to bring that up. He's just nowhere near consistent enough. Rehkow was 53, 56, 59....that's pretty consistent, and an extra 6 yards...Maybe Robbins has a better directional ability (I have no clue, just thinking out loud) but what this team will need is a punter who can flip fields when needed. Directionality is nice, but should be a 2ndary trait, IMO...give me the guy with the leg...Robbins is just too inconsistent, IMO.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back over some clips that have been posted...

Positives:

Burrow - welcome back. Love seeing him get 1 session - and I would like to continue seeing him get 1 session through the Pre-season. I know I might be in the minority - but this team cannot be in a situation to get off to a slow start. Keeping Burrow, and the 1st team, under live reps in each game will, IMO, help them be ready to hit the ground running come game #1.

I thought Dax played well. Looks way more confident and fluid playing CB than in space at S. Bengals have a really, really promising rotation in the secondary with a TON of flexibility.

Thought the backup DE's did OK - Gunter had a .5 sack, Johnson had a sack...and he's the guy that has turned heads in camp. Big chance for these guys to step up with Sample out for the year. Looked like limited PT for Ossai, but 1 tackle/Tackle for Loss. Murphy - 2 QB hits. Really need 2 of these guys to step up and show they can hold their own and allow for Hubbard and Hendrickson to rest a bit more, be a bit more fresh and impactful, and of course - healthy.

Despite the OL play with the backups - no sacks...and generally I thought they were OK....except one...LOL

WR play was really solid. I think you see Yoshi really starting to benefit from that off-season camp/training he attended. He's going to be a key depth guy in this offense, and also will allow them to spread teams out with Burton. Speaking of - showed he's much better than a likely backup, but also still needs some time to get everything down. It's not going to be in the too distant future that he is going to be a major headache for teams when they have to cover Chase, Higgins, AND Burton...and when they go 4 wide....whoooooo

Mims is a really large human being. He was blocking guys without even blocking them. There were 1 or 2 plays where he was blocking someone and they brought an extra defender...and the guy ran into Mims because he was just taking up so much room....lol

Bad:

Rotational DT's.....yikes. Now, I know McKinley Jackson didn't play as he's banged up. So is Tufele. So, that would go a long way to helping that rotation, but if either of those guys look to miss some time leading into the season, the Bengals will need to look to add a big bodied DT.

I know this is a little nitpicky for a pre-season game - but the prevent defense leading to that last TD drive for TB was amazingly and mind-numbingly dumb. I hate it in the regular season. They just let them chunk their way down the field. TB also ran the same play what looked like 5 times in a row...just to the wide side each time. Play-action, QB roll out, hit the TE who had a delayed drag. No one on the defense could seem to remember to do their job and cover the TE. It was like when you play Madden and your buddy just keeps running the same play over and over again because you can't stop it. Was not a fan of this approach to end a game - even if it is Pre-Season. If EVER there were a time to tinker and do something "different" in this situation - Pre-Season would be it!

Down Right Ugly:

It is past time to end the Jackson Carman experiment. It didn't work. Sucks. He's a local guy who had a very nice HS and College career, but this dude is NOT an NFL player - even at a backup level. Just doesn't have that mindset, IMO - and after 3+ years at this point...if he can't even show out against guys who will be bagging groceries in 2 more weeks....what does that say about him?

Also, can we end the Brad Robbins experiment as well. 39 yard punt. He did end with an 50 yard average, but it took a 60 yarder to bring that up. He's just nowhere near consistent enough. Rehkow was 53, 56, 59....that's pretty consistent, and an extra 6 yards...Maybe Robbins has a better directional ability (I have no clue, just thinking out loud) but what this team will need is a punter who can flip fields when needed. Directionality is nice, but should be a 2ndary trait, IMO...give me the guy with the leg...Robbins is just too inconsistent, IMO.
Jackson Carmon might do better at another club that doesn't have the depth that we do at his position.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson Carmon might do better at another club that doesn't have the depth that we do at his position.
Maybe - maybe there's a trade out there like what happened with Price for BJ Hill...

But, IMO (and without knowing the guy or anything internal) He looks like a guy who was good enough on talent alone for the majority of his career. At the NFL level, he doesn't have that elite ability - and doesn't seem to have had the mindset needed to get the most out of his body/mental approach.

The guy was a 2nd round (3rd round grade, even if the Bengals did reach on him) - and in 3 years is barely a backup...and really is a backup by default because the Bengals haven't moved on to someone that is better...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mims - out a few weeks with a Pec strain. Brown is good to go, so that works out well.

Sucks for Mims. Could miss the start (week 1) of the season, but sounds like at least he shouldn't miss significant time...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe - maybe there's a trade out there like what happened with Price for BJ Hill...

But, IMO (and without knowing the guy or anything internal) He looks like a guy who was good enough on talent alone for the majority of his career. At the NFL level, he doesn't have that elite ability - and doesn't seem to have had the mindset needed to get the most out of his body/mental approach.

The guy was a 2nd round (3rd round grade, even if the Bengals did reach on him) - and in 3 years is barely a backup...and really is a backup by default because the Bengals haven't moved on to someone that is better...

I'd say Cleveland, but he might not be good enough for them.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're a bit dinged up on backup QB now

Logan is the backup

Browning is injured
McCarron, still with the UFL, is also injured.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we're a bit dinged up on backup QB now

Logan is the backup

Browning is injured
McCarron, still with the UFL, is also injured.
Enter...Super Burrow...taking every snap through the SB Victory!