• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I want to know those decisions before they're made. AND, if I don't agree with that person's decision, I'd want him to explain his reasons.

When I managed people in the field, I always tried to hire people with some skill that was better than my own. Questioning them was never out of the realm of my being their supervisor. Suggesting something was my privilege.

Owning an operation has its privileges and controlling your employees is one of them. Remember this........Wolf is auditioning for the GM position. He's never done anything close to it. Kraft has every right to be informed and suggest.

Whether you or I don't like it, is irrelevant. A couple of guys on BST were saying the same thing and one fired off, "What does Kraft know about football?" One of the other guys asked him, "What do you know about football AND owning a football team?" The argument got heated because one the commentators pretty much admitted that he'd never played in the NFL, coached in the NFL or owned any part of anything in the NFL. Neither had the other two. His final remark....."It's easy to make a decision when you have nothing at risk."
You are so full of BS. Nobody suggested coaches should not be accountable to their bosses. Nobody likes a meddling boss when the boss isn't an expert in that field.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word out yesterday is that Johnathan Kraft is very heavily involved in everything that's going on with the draft. He's also been taking phone calls in regards to trades. Quote: "Johnathan does not want second hand information regarding anything to do with the #3 pick."

Could it be???? The Commanders are very frustrated with Jayden Daniels agents. Yesterday, a source very close to the decision maker said that they have been in touch with Drake May and his agent. Supposedly, Daniels wants to play for the LV Raiders and the Raiders have been wooing him. Problem for the Raiders is that they are sitting at #13. There is very little being spoken about the Raiders trying to get to #3, but it is believed that they are willing to give up #13,#44 in 2024, 2025 1st and 2nd and 2026 1st.

The Commanders rumors have caused a lot of deals to collapse according to ESPN and NFL,com.

What if the Commanders take Maye? Do the Patriots take Daniels and basically say, "You're here for the next four years and better make the bst out of it. Or do they trade him to the raiders and squeeze them for more than the rumors??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are so full of BS. Nobody suggested coaches should not be accountable to their bosses. Nobody likes a meddling boss when the boss isn't an expert in that field.
Tough shit if nobody likes a meddling boss. So you believe that Mayo and Wolf are 'experts'? Neither have done the job that they are doing and therefor do not have more expertise than their boss. Johnathan Kraft spent twenty years watching and learning from Bill Belichick. He spent many of those years observing how BB got things done in the War Room on Draft Day. He saw what woked and what didn't. My guess is that he has a hell of a lot more experience than you want to give him credit for. Last, but not least, Johnathan Kraft is the President of Football Operations and reorts to one guy.....His Father.

Rarely does the owner of any sports franchise give control of it to level the Krafts gave Belichick. One doubts that they will ever do it again after the four year shit show without the GOAT.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nesn.com

Ex-Patriot Scott Zolak Refutes Major New England Draft Rumor

Former Patriots quarterback Scott Zolak shut down a rumor about how New England will operate in the 2024 NFL Draft.
nesn.com
nesn.com
So Zolack refutes what someone else writes because someone told him something different.

How about giving a name of that someone who he "thinks" has more knowledge of the operation?

Always 'someone' and never a name or position within the organization. Zolack is looking for clicks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Zolack refutes what someone else writes because someone told him something different.

How about giving a name of that someone who he "thinks" has more knowledge of the operation?

Always 'someone' and never a name or position within the organization. Zolack is looking for clicks.
Did you yourself hear Jonathan Kraft meddling in draft business?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough shit if nobody likes a meddling boss. So you believe that Mayo and Wolf are 'experts'? Neither have done the job that they are doing and therefor do not have more expertise than their boss. Johnathan Kraft spent twenty years watching and learning from Bill Belichick. He spent many of those years observing how BB got things done in the War Room on Draft Day. He saw what woked and what didn't. My guess is that he has a hell of a lot more experience than you want to give him credit for. Last, but not least, Johnathan Kraft is the President of Football Operations and reorts to one guy.....His Father.

Rarely does the owner of any sports franchise give control of it to level the Krafts gave Belichick. One doubts that they will ever do it again after the four year shit show without the GOAT.
Sure, how'd that work out when rk tried the meddling thing with Parcels? Again, nobody is advocating for a lack of accountability.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re on the clock, fuckers. Dear God, don’t let em fuck it up.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not upset but not thrilled. Let's hope he pans out.

There’s been a ton of back and forth on this so I don’t recall what your opinion was.

What reasonable outcome would you have preferred?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s been a ton of back and forth on this so I don’t recall what your opinion was.

What reasonable outcome would you have preferred?
I was hoping for a trade down. Minn #11 and #23. But the way 6 QBs came off in the top 12 feeling better they got Maye. I figured Nix or Penix for sure would've been there later.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think no team was willing to give up a bevy of picks and thats what NE felt they should get. Bottom line he was considered best available with a very high ceiling. He only started 25 games in college in a weak ACC so he really does not have a lot of experience. Long as the Pats are willing to wait he could end up being a very good pick. I don't see bust on him I think he is to dedicated to fail

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really feel like Maye is the Anti Mac Jones Pick.

Maye strength is he has a big arm while Jones weakness was he did not possess a big arm.
Jones strength was his decision making and was the most NFL ready while Maye has questions and a "really high ceiling".
Jones came from one of the biggest, most successful football programs while Maye came from...North Carolina??? Have they ever won anything??
Jones was surrounded by weapons, O Line, Defense...1st round picks from both sides every year while Maye had...? Who?

This pick is either a great pick that if everything works out, in a few years the Pats may be good again or this is a pick that will set the Pats back a few years and they'll be picking Top 5 again.

And again.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think no team was willing to give up a bevy of picks and thats what NE felt they should get. Bottom line he was considered best available with a very high ceiling. He only started 25 games in college in a weak ACC so he really does not have a lot of experience. Long as the Pats are willing to wait he could end up being a very good pick. I don't see bust on him I think he is to dedicated to fail
Consider this.........................

Teams were willing to give up a lot. So many teams, that the Patriots decided that trading the pick might be giving away the next Mahomes, Allen or worse, Brady. Better to keep the pick and take the guy that so many others wanted.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider this.........................

Teams were willing to give up a lot. So many teams, that the Patriots decided that trading the pick might be giving away the next Mahomes, Allen or worse, Brady. Better to keep the pick and take the guy that so many others wanted.
Sure if you feel compelled to search for a silver lining or have to have that glass half full feel.

I feel one of two things are true. The Pats locked in at getting a QB and were never really considering offers, if true I think that is a horrible approach. Two, the Pats valued that pick a lot more than other teams because there was a lot of depth at the position.

Either way as it turned out with five QBs going in round one Penix or Nix would not have been there in round two so selecting Maye was quite possible the best thing the Pats could have done. It was graded as a B+ which seem low based on the fact Penix and Nix both went in round one.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree mostly and he does have Brissett to break him in gently.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guys to consider on Day 2.

***= My picks. If the Patriots can get any number of these guys, the Draft will be A+.

UCF WR Javon Baker​

Baker plays with excellent body control and ball skills, plus above-average play strength. He threatens all three levels of the field, not with pure speed but by shifting greats in his routes. Baker is also dangerous after the catch. An Alabama transfer, Baker posted close to 1,200 receiving yards and seven touchdowns last year. He’s a projected late second, early third-round pick.

Texas WR Adonai Mitchell​

Mitchell is an explosive, long-limbed athlete who clocked a 4.34 in the 40-yard dash, leapt almost 40 inches in the vertical jump and flashed these elite traits on tape. He scored a Big 12-best 11 touchdowns, breezing through secondaries and dunking on opposing cornerbacks in jump-ball situations. His potential as a game-changing “X” receiver may only be matched by the receivers projected to go top 10 10 the draft.

Georgia WR Ladd McConkey​

McConkey is a complete receiver with plus long speed and agility, both of which he maximizes through superb route-running. McConkey can play in the slot and outside and would be a candidate to start Day 1 in New England.

Oregon WR Troy Franklin***​

A lean speedster, Franklin ran a 4.41 at the combine and flashed above-average quickness with a strong 6.9 in the three-cone. He was a big-play machine in college who often ran straight through straight defenses. Franklin’s route-running is also more nuanced than he’s given credit for, making his lack of bulk the only serious question about his game.

Washington WR Ja’Lynn Polk​

Polk primarily played slot and “Z” in an offense that featured Rome Odunze. But there’s thought that Polk can play “X” receiver at the next level because of his ability to threaten all three levels by manipulating his tempo. Polk has good size at 6-foot-1, 203 pounds but isn’t a burner. He ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash, but he caught 69 passes for 1,159 yards with nine touchdowns in 2023 and otherwise tested well with a 37.5-inch vertical leap and 10-feet, 9-inch broad jump.

Florida State WR Keon Coleman​

A big-bodied “X” receiver, Coleman plays faster than his timed 4.61 speed and knows how to win in 1-on-1 situations. He’s strong and dynamic, with several one-handed catches on his tape. The 20-year-old feels more like a project than others on this list, but the payoff could be huge for a Patriots team that could give him time to grow and desperately needs a difference-maker.

BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia***​

Only 21 years old, Suamatia is a former five-star high school recruit who transferred from Oregon to BYU after his freshman season. He made an immediate impact as a freshman All-American at right tackle. Perhaps more impressive, he flipped to the left side last year and made 11 starts, showcasing an ideal blend of power, mobility and tenacity. Suamatia should be able to play in most any NFL offensive scheme, but may need time to develop at such a young age.

Washington OT Roger Rosengarten​

Rosengarten, a four-star recruit, was a left tackle in high school and primed to play on the blind-side with the Huskies until that role flipped when lefty QB Michael Penix transferred to Washington in 2022. So, while Rosengarten started at right tackle for his two starting seasons, that wasn’t the plan. Rosengarten, 21, has good size at over 6-foot-5, 308 pounds with 34-inch arms. He ran a 4.92-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Houston OT Patrick Paul***​

Paul is a prototypical left tackle who tested well. He stands at 6-foot-7 and 331 pounds and hit the athletic benchmarks that GMs who hail from the Green Bay tree, like Patriots’ personnel leader Eliot Wolf, tend to favor. He was also a two-time captain and three-year starter.

Yale OT Kiran Amegadjie​

An injury prevented Amegadjie from proving his athletic ability throughout the pre-draft process, but this Ivy Leaguer boasts more than high football IQ. He’s tall, long and powerful, a road-grader in the run game and nimble in pass protection.

Senior Bowl executive directorJim Nagy, an ex-Patriots scout, rated Amegadjie as the top small-school offensive tackle prospect in the country last September. He’s a developmental player likely bound for the third round, who could appeal to the Patriots as they rebuild their offensive line.

TCU OT Brandon Coleman***​

TCU offensive lineman Brandon Coleman (77) lines up during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Colorado Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Fort Worth, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
TCU offensive lineman Brandon Coleman (77) lines up during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Colorado Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Fort Worth, Texas. (AP Photo/LM Otero)
A 6-foot-4, 313-pounder with exceptionally long arms, Coleman played left tackle and left guard in college. He’s works well in space and played some of his best football against his fiercest competition. Coleman has played every O-line position exception center, and played through injury last year, a reflection of his toughness.

Penn State TE Theo Johnson​

Johnson, a native of Canada, has experience playing as an inline tight end and slot receiver. He caught just 34 passes for 341 yards with seven touchdowns as a senior, but he knocked the NFL Scouting Combine out of the park with a 4.57-second 40-yard dash, 39.5-inch vertical leap, 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump, 4.19-second short shuttle and 7.15-second 3-cone drill.

TCU TE Jared Wiley​

Wiley, a former high school quarterback has the size, frame and run-blocking experience to play inline at the NFL level. He caught 47 passes for 520 yards with eight touchdowns in 2023 and impressed with a 4.62-second 40-yard dash at the combine.

Ohio State TE Cade Stover​

A former linebacker, Stover has solid athleticism for his size with a 4.65-second timed 40-yard dash and dropped just two passes in his college career while hauling in 82 receptions for 1,058 yards with 10 touchdowns.

Western Michigan EDGE Marshawn Kneeland***​

Scouting report: Kneeland has potential as an every-down player as one of the top run-stoppers atop the edge defender draft class but still has untapped potential as a pass rusher. He was a team captain in 2023 and has ideal length for the position with 34.5-inch arms.

Penn State EDGE Adisa Isaac​

A team captain in 2023, Isaac led Penn State in sacks and tackles for loss. He doesn’t have elite athleticism but can be used standing up or with his hand on the ground, which is helpful in the Patriots’ defensive scheme. Isaac missed the 2021 season with an Achilles injury.

Alabama EDGE Chris Braswell​

Braswell ranked top 15 among his peers in PFF’s pass-rush grade, pass-rush productivity and pass-rush win rate last season. He’s not as highly regarded as his Alabama position-mate Dallas Turner, who could be a Top 10 pick, but Braswell was productive with 10.5 sacks and three forced fumbles in 2023. He ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash and best projects as a situational pass rusher early in his career.

Kansas EDGE Austin Booker, Kansas​

Booker had a 30 visit with the Patriots during the pre-draft period. He won’t be 22 until December and led Kansas in forced fumbles, sacks and tackles for loss last season despite playing in a rotational role. Booker has tons of upside.

Washington EDGE Bralen Trice​

Trice, a team captain in 2023, led his peers in total pressures, per PFF, last season with the Huskies. The Patriots have plenty of information on him since current wide receivers coach Tyler Hughes was a quality control coach on Washington’s staff last season. He lacks ideal length but has loads of experience as a pass rusher and run defender.