• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Draft Thread

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA draft isn't really about winning the top pick anymore.

It used to big fools who can actually play the game and will be obviously dominant like Shaq, Ewing, and David Robinson. The game isn't like that anymore.

It's more about perimeter and defense and chemistry and you can't tell you will be that good or will play well together.

The exception is LeBron of course.

It's more like the NFL draft these days. Try and put young pieces together, try and build chemistry, guys who want to stay with the team.
Wembanyama was also a can’t miss #1 of course. Do we count Zion?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wembanyama was also a can’t miss #1 of course. Do we count Zion?
No.

Zion was hyped because of his crazy athleticism in a big body.

But I think there were more than a few on here who didn’t think Zion was a can’t miss.

Worthy of number 1 for sure.

But I know for one that I had Ja ranked at least as Zion’s equal.

He wasn’t on Wemby’s level as a prospect.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Zion was hyped because of his crazy athleticism in a big body.

But I think there were more than a few on here who didn’t think Zion was a can’t miss.

Worthy of number 1 for sure.

But I know for one that I had Ja ranked at least as Zion’s equal.

He wasn’t on Wemby’s level as a prospect.
Other than LeBron no one ever has been on that level in the modern era. I was pushing back on his nonsense about there never being an obvious #1 since

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,256.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA draft isn't really about winning the top pick anymore.

It used to big fools who can actually play the game and will be obviously dominant like Shaq, Ewing, and David Robinson. The game isn't like that anymore.
You haven't followed the NBA since then, huh?

Because, it's showing.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh it depends on the draft. Last year it was absolutely about the top pick, Wemby. Some years like this year there will be no consensus top pick but it’s been like that forever.

My point was that it's much harder to find an obvious franchise player with the #1 pick.

Because the game has veered away from the paint.

Perimeter players don't dominate the game in the same way and are harder to pick out.

If anybody disagrees (not you specifically) and tells me I'm an idiot, well... there's not much to talk about ... is there?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edwards was not the consensus #1 pick.

Wiseman and Ball were heavily discusse.d

Yep. It was Wiseman and Ball for the longest time. Edwards didn't start getting more consensus until later in the process as we approached the Draft. And even then, it seemed like it was more because people felt like he had the safest floor of the top guys moreso than he was the clear cut top guy.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit just keeps getting fucked on the lotto

Wild

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit just keeps getting fucked on the lotto

Wild

Hard to feel bad for them. They haven't made a good decision in about a decade. The couple decent picks they made(Kennard, Bruce Brown), they traded for essentially nothing.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to feel bad for them. They haven't made a good decision in about a decade. The couple decent picks they made(Kennard, Bruce Brown), they traded for essentially nothing.

Aside from missing on Jalen Williams (no one was taking him 5) I'm not seeing the bad call the last 3 drafts

Kennard was a bad pick. The next 2 were Mitchell and Bam.

Brown was meh in Detroit.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from missing on Jalen Williams (no one was taking him 5) I'm not seeing the bad call the last 3 drafts

The kennard trade and bey trade sucked

And they took a slow Frenchie instead of tanker who has changed the trajectory of the pacers franchise

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kennard trade and bey trade sucked

And they took a slow Frenchie instead of tanker who has changed the trajectory of the pacers franchise

"I'm not seeing a bad call the last 3 drafts"

I felt like that was pretty evident.

The Bey trade was awful. Yes. The Hayes pick was horrendous.

The issue with the Cade draft was they actually won that lotto and it was the deepest draft in a while. But you can't really say it was a bad pick

Ivey at this stage is fine.

Ausar is a menace on D and Duren was a good pick for 13.

Their biggest issue from a draft standpoint (besides taking hayes) is getting fucked every lotto except the one draft that was the best.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm not seeing a bad call the last 3 drafts"

I felt like that was pretty evident.

The Bey trade was awful. Yes. The Hayes pick was horrendous.

The issue with the Cade draft was they actually won that lotto and it was the deepest draft in a while. But you can't really say it was a bad pick

Ivey at this stage is fine.

Ausar is a menace on D and Duren was a good pick for 13.

Their biggest issue from a draft standpoint (besides taking hayes) is getting fucked every lotto except the one draft that was the best.

Yeah they got Cade and most thought ivey was a steal

But they’ve put little around those 2 anyway

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they got Cade and most thought ivey was a steal

But they’ve put little around those 2 anyway

No doubt

You would like to see Cade as being more transcendent but he isn't that... most likely. But you can't surround a guy with little in the way of shooting and trade arguably the best shooter you have for a rehab center.

Idk what Cade is but none of the guys in that draft would make a difference in this pistons team it was just the draft of the last 5 or so with the least drop off from 1 2.

This draft is like that but for all the wrong reasons lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's probably at least 5 guys I'd take ahead of Cade at this point moving forward from that same class. Ivey and Thompson, is still a little early to project, but from 2020 and before they were simply atrocious. This will be their 5th top 7 selection in the last 5 years. They're probably fortunate to have gotten the #1 pick at least once given their odds.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's probably at least 5 guys I'd take ahead of Cade at this point moving forward from that same class. Ivey and Thompson, is still a little early to project, but from 2020 and before they were simply atrocious. This will be their 5th top 7 selection in the last 5 years. They're probably fortunate to have gotten the #1 pick at least once given their odds.

That is a matter of opinion. None of those guys have really separated themselves from the 21 draft.

"Fortunate"?? Lol dude. They've had horrible horrible lottery luck when you consider as top odds the absolute worst you can fall is 5 and it's happened 2 years in a row. They went from 3 to 6 also and in 2020 they were fully tanking and then covid happened. They went from 5 to 7.

Should they be better? Absolutely. No question. But it's also easier to look brilliant when a guy like Wemby falls in your lap.

I'd be fine with Weaver being fired tomorrow but don't come in here on some trolling shit

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao. Detroit was hot garbage all year long, Best odds in the draft. Ends up 5th. That's brutal. At least it wasn't the Wemby draft where you have a clear cut franchise guy. If it was, those execs would be suicidal.

Been thinking for awhile we were due for a big jump and we got it this year with Atlanta (and Houston via Brooklyn). Flattening the odds was gonna payoff at some point
Two in a row bruh.

Same shit different year in the Wemby draft.

Didn’t even know you could fall from 1 to lower than 4. Was listening on the radio and assumed they just screwed up when I heard the news.

Not like I was banking on any at the top saving the dumpster fire I get to watch locally. But this sucks ass.