• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NBA Draft Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Simmons pulled a super fun stat. Reed Sheppard was the first American drafted, the last time a white guy was the first American drafted was 1977.
Finally white people catch a break :D

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick hit draft thoughts

-Minny really crushed it. Added some good depth pieces for a team that's competing for championships and with cap constraints. I really like Dillingham. Calipari guards are almost always useful NBA players at the very least so there's a high floor there. Not sure I like the Spurs trading him (or the pick) for 2 picks in the 2030s, but I suppose they figure they'll be able to package them in the future for a star to put by Wemby. That could be a long ways off though and while I think this draft is pretty damn weak, there were will some players there I would have rather taken to put alongside Castle and Wemby

-Loved getting Knecht for the Lakers. They learned from their mistake last year of letting a top rated prospect who slid (Cam Whitmore) get past them. And theoretically, he's what the Lakers need; ready made shooting. Speaking of ready made though, I'm surprised OKC let him slip. They can be a Finals team. It's win now. Not sure I get taking a player that's A) Hurt and won't play at least a year from now and B)Will need time to develop

-I don't like that Memphis/Edey fit at all. That's a real clogged front court with him and JJJ. Plus he's slow as fuck and Morant needs runners.

-I really liked the Ryan Dunn pick for Phoenix. The Suns are screwed roster construction wise by the cap but here they managed to find a guy that can be an elite defensive player. He can come in and make an impact right away. Since they are running it back (they have no choice really), he's exactly what they need

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2031 when the Spurs take that pick, Anthony Edwards still won’t be 30 years old.

I love this move from the Wolves. They needed to find a way to add some price controlled pieces. It was the only way to get better.

The only thing that I am worried about is that even this add big tax. Makes me wonder if they are thinking of moving Reid now while they still can. Neither owner is going to be willing to spend the tax bill that is starting to come together I don’t think.

He won’t be 30.

But will he still be playing in Minnesota?

Seems the Spurs are betting no.

Decent chance they will be back at the bottom by then.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing the age thing at the draft irritates me. Same BS i heard when Miami drafted JJJ last year. 22 or 23 isn't old.

I rather take a guy 22-23 that I can play immediately over a young guy that I may need to stash in the gleague for a year or so.

It all depends on your situation.

Right or wrong, older player who spent 4-5 years in college aren’t viewed as having as much upside.

In general, I think these types of players make more sense later in the first for the teams that are already playoff caliber.

The bad teams are often looking for the upside. And a player less far along in their playing career is usually viewed as having more.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would’ve traded Kuz over deni but yeah

Have to think the Kuz trade is coming later in the season.

I am fine with trading Deni. He is very solid. But solid doesn’t make a ton of impact on a 15 win roster.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So fricking STUPID.

Yeah, just have the draft all on the same night if you going to do that.

Although, I can actually watch at 4. Have stuff to do so would have missed it this evening.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think the Kuz trade is coming later in the season.
Yep.

Seems like the Wizards are doing what others are doing, trading off the best players for picks and looking to rebuild that way.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@fightinfunbags

I thought you might take Da Silva but McCain can ball. His shooting numbers were 46%, 41%, and 89% at Duke. It's college but the kid should be able to transition the NBA according to most scouting reports. They really like the kid. Get younger at backup PG and let Lowry go.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Thunder draft. With Topic they got a guy who was highly thought of but the injury moved him way down. He’s only 18 and the a Thunder may have replaced Giddey with a guy that can defend better. Jones is a wild card but it’s a typical Presti move. Five seconds is a lot but they just aren’t worth much, and the Thunders 2nds are going to be late picks for the foreseeable future.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the Thunder draft. With Topic they got a guy who was highly thought of but the injury moved him way down. He’s only 18 and the a Thunder may have replaced Giddey with a guy that can defend better. Jones is a wild card but it’s a typical Presti move. Five seconds is a lot but they just aren’t worth much, and the Thunders 2nds are going to be late picks for the foreseeable future.
Why not get a guy who can contribute right away though? He likely out all of next season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Thunder may have replaced Giddey with a guy that can defend better

They did that with Caruso before the Topic pick. That was my only "concern", that one of those guys will have to come off the bench. Then again, it's not like the Thunder have open starting positions. No big in day 1 for them though, must be confident in getting their guy in FA.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not get a guy who can contribute right away though? He likely out all of next season.

Because they have the luxury of not needing a guy who can contribute right away.

As deep as they are, nobody they taking at that spot likely to play more than a bit role next year anyway.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Thunder can afford to do so. Presti is looking long term, like the next decade.