• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying Hank was terrible,just going off what I noticed. He was our only legit run stuffer. Still you are correct when you make the point that he was cheap. This FO has blown twice that amount on free agents before that never ended up playing.
He was a good run stuffer and teams ran all over us when he was out. If he had signed for $5-6M per year, I'd say sure, I get that. But a $350K guarantee against a $1.2M base and 500K on incentives? That's barely above minimum? Total horseshit

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hankins though seemed to getting close to the end. This wasn't the Hankins in his prime. I thought Hankins was way better in 22 than 23.

I certainly am not praising this clown show FO though Lol. So many botched contracts . And really the drafting has been suspect lately.
It's not difficult to find a replacement for Hankins IF we are willing to actually do it and pay for it. My concern is there is no NT on this roster that has proven to be able to do the job. My issue is that if we do choose to sign one as good or better than Hankins, it will likely cost us a lot more. But, I definitely think we can upgrade the position if we have the desire.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not difficult to find a replacement for Hankins IF we are willing to actually do it and pay for it. My concern is there is no NT on this roster that has proven to be able to do the job. My issue is that if we do choose to sign one as good or better than Hankins, it will likely cost us a lot more. But, I definitely think we can upgrade the position if we have the desire.
What does upgrading have to do with passing on Hankins at a $1M base? If we went out and signed an upgrade, Hankins would be fantastic run stuffing depth at that price. After the Packers ran over us like Earl Campbell going against Hallsville HS, we might add to our run stoppers instead of subtracting. I'm sure Stephen is banking on Mazi becoming a rum stuffing beast. That'll be fun to watch

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does upgrading have to do with passing on Hankins at a $1M base? If we went out and signed an upgrade, Hankins would be fantastic run stuffing depth at that price. After the Packers ran over us like Earl Campbell going against Hallsville HS, we might add to our run stoppers instead of subtracting. I'm sure Stephen is banking on Mazi becoming a rum stuffing beast. That'll be fun to watch
I can't tell if this is a serious question or not. If we upgraded Hankins by signing a better player than him, losing him wouldn't be a big deal :scratch:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if this is a serious question or not. If we upgraded Hankins by signing a better player than him, losing him wouldn't be a big deal :scratch:
My point is....at a $1 million base with only $350K guaranteed...if you did sign an upgrade. Hankins would be the perfect backup at that bare minimum price. Or was the upgrade going to play 100% of the snaps? Also, and not arguing, just asking your opinion...do you REALLY think they plan on upgrading? Cause I don't. There isn't much left in FA. Are we gonna spend another 1st rounder on a 1 Tech? No. Are they going to trade for a guy making a lot of money when they just let their Left Tackle and Center walk? I don't think so

Last edited:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is....at a $1 million base with only $350K guaranteed...if you did sign an upgrade. Hankins would be the perfect backup at that bare minimum price. Or was the upgrade going to play 100% of the snaps? Also, and not arguing, just asking your opinion...do you REALLY think they plan on upgrading? Cause I don't. There isn't much left in FA. Are we gonna spend another 1st rounder on a 1 Tech? No. Are they going to trade for a guy making a lot of money when they just let their Left Tackle and Center walk? I don't think so
This FO makes a lot of mistakes. I could see them trading down and using one of the new picks on a big DT like sweat .

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on Mazi. I hope he is gaining weight. I could see Zimmer getting more out of him. Whatever the experiment was with him failed

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I‘m sure they are “planning“ on upgrading but I don’t predict that they actually will. I think they will look in the draft and I think they will look after players are cut and I think they will look at Mazi. I don’t expect any of these will likely work out better than Hankins. But that's a different topic from what I said. I said I think we could upgrade the position if we have the desire and we absolutely can. I liked Hankins but he was no better than an average starting NT at this point and now a year older. He just stood out on our team because of how poor everyone else has been at that role. You can always find that if you are willing and as I said it will cost more.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I‘m sure they are “planning“ on upgrading but I don’t predict that they actually will. I think they will look in the draft and I think they will look after players are cut and I think they will look at Mazi. I don’t expect any of these will likely work out better than Hankins. But that's a different topic from what I said. I said I think we could upgrade the position if we have the desire and we absolutely can. I liked Hankins but he was no better than an average starting NT at this point and now a year older. He just stood out on our team because of how poor everyone else has been at that role. You can always find that if you are willing and as I said it will cost more.
Yeah I agree with you totally there, Hank isn't Jonathan Allen, he could be upgraded easy enough. Mazi Smith just ain't gonna be it though lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Cowboys are not going to negotiate with Dak, Trey Lance just has to get some series and packages this year right?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Cowboys are not going to negotiate with Dak, Trey Lance just has to get some series and packages this year right?
Lance or Rush will be gone. Can’t pay two backups that amount and cry cap issues. I have no idea which they keep. I suspect they hope it’s Lance and they give him every chance to take the job before week 1. I‘m Not a fan of Fields but I would have preferred to replace Lance with Fields (and his cap hit is less than Lance’s) when he was available. Lance just doesn’t seem like an NFL QB to me.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with you totally there, Hank isn't Jonathan Allen, he could be upgraded easy enough. Mazi Smith just ain't gonna be it though lol
Who knows. He would need a huge improvement to even be a low level starter. Most early picks show flashes even if they have a crappy first year. He did not. He was pushed around and showed no burst at all. He needs to gain back at least 20lbs, but how does he do that in one offseason and not end up as just a ridiculously slow player. The worst thing was how he showed zero strength and all we heard about was his legendary strength.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance or Rush will be gone. Can’t pay two backups that amount and cry cap issues. I have no idea which they keep. I suspect they hope it’s Lance and they give him every chance to take the job before week 1. I‘m Not a fan of Fields but I would have preferred to replace Lance with Fields (and his cap hit is less than Lance’s) when he was available. Lance just doesn’t seem like an NFL QB to me.
I thought the same thing about Fields. Could have gotten him for nothing. I have hope for Lance. I would draft QB either way

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows. He would need a huge improvement to even be a low level starter. Most early picks show flashes even if they have a crappy first year. He did not. He was pushed around and showed no burst at all. He needs to gain back at least 20lbs, but how does he do that in one offseason and not end up as just a ridiculously slow player. The worst thing was how he showed zero strength and all we heard about was his legendary strength.
I would be super happy if PDay is right and we might get something out of last year's draft but the only guy I feel good about is Overshown. I think the Mazi and Schoony picks were big reaches and both are complete busts

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just hope Murphy from Texas falls to us. DT would then be upgraded.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear yesterday that Stephen figures they have enough CBs so they’re not going to pursue Gilmore?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear yesterday that Stephen figures they have enough CBs so they’re not going to pursue Gilmore?
That's sure what it sounded like, but since his dopey Father also said something like "wherever CeeDee is playing" it's hard to tell with these two.