• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Copa America

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starts a week after the Euros begin.

Group A - Argentina, Peru, Chile & Canada
Group B - Mexico, Ecuador, Venezuela & Jamaica
Group C- USA, Uruguay, Panama & Bolivia
Group D - Brazil, Colombia, Paraguay & Costa Rica

US play their games in Arlington, Atlanta and Kansas City. Final will be in Miami on July 14th. Tough draw for the Americans - likely will come up against Brazil or Colombia (who just beat them 5-1) in the Quarter finals.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to watching with Concacaf joining, I think will make for better overall tournament.

My picks to get out of group stages:

Group A
Picks:
- Argentina - in theory should not have an issue to get out of this group... but Chile has been a thorn in the side in past in Copa America breaking Argentina´s hearts. Still have Messi, DiMaria.. this is DiMaria´s last tourney... really like some of their young players... Alverez, MacAllister, Fernandez, Romero, Lis. Martinez, Molina... and have their best goalie since I moved here many years ago in Dibu.
- Canada - have some decent players... really like Davies, saw them vs France friendly, played them well
Eliminated:
- Peru - had decent team... nearly got to 2022 WC as were #5 in Conmebol qualifying, but lost to Australia in play in game to get to WC. 2026 qualifying they are not doing well.. bottom of table behind Bolivia (that is hard to do)
- Chile... golden generation has gotten old and nothing to replace them, still can be difficult team especially at home.. but think Canada has better team. Chile just above Bolivia in 2026 qualifying

Group B - weakest group IMO
Picks:
- Mexico - probably have huge crowds at games, even though I do not think Mexico may be as good as past teams, this group so weak and playing in front of friendly crowds should be good enough to get them through. I would be very happy if they fell flat on their face and were eliminated.
- Ecuador - fast and physical athletic team recently.. similar to Colombia in style. Several past games have given Argentina difficulties... including recent friendly.
Eliminated:
- Venezuela - typically bottom feeder, but improved team... could surprise and qualify
- Jamaica - not optimistic for Concacaf teams outside of US, Mexico, Canada

Group C
Picks:
- Uruguay - another good team... they are always a tough matchup as they give 110% on the field at all times... beat Argentina in 2026 qualifying as visitor... only blemish for Argentina. They are also #2 in table presently for 2026 qualifying.
- USA - at home in front of home crowd, in theory only Uruguay game should be tough.
Eliminated:
- Panama - not optimistic for Concacaf teams outside of US, Mexico, Canada
- Bolivia - outside of the altitude of Bolivia they have difficulty being competitive

Group D - toughest group
Picks:
- Brazil - always top team, but for 2026 qualifying they are not playing well. Have the names, but apparently do not have a team yet. If this were 2022 qualifying presently would be on outside looking in on the table. Still.. hard to pick against them.
- Colombia - playing well.. very athletic and physical team.. 2026 qualifying 3 wins and 3 ties... beat Brazil at home for most impressive win. Just destroyed USA in friendly.
Eliminated:
- Paraguay - can be tough to beat... they play well disciplined defense... if do not score early game vs Paraguay is a big grind. Worse.. if they score first... becomes a huge grind.
- Costa Rica - not optimistic for Concacaf teams outside of US, Mexico, Canada

StuUKWI

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with all those picks. If I had to pick a surprise team to qualify it might be Jamaica. Good coach and some decent players in their squad.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say U-S Hey-Hey-Hey doesn't win it all.

ca39c55224b274a010fd2508f48e512d.gif

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Messi was flopping around. Canada had chances that they didn’t convert, but the diving really detracts from the game.

Messi should know better than that. Sad to hear he does stuff like that.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Messi should know better than that. Sad to hear he does stuff like that.

His are a bit more artful than the run-of-the-mill flopper, but he still does. They all tend to go down way too easily. Grabbing their head when nothing came near it, or their shin, when their foot got stepped on.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His are a bit more artful than the run-of-the-mill flopper, but he still does. They all tend to go down way too easily. Grabbing their head when nothing came near it, or their shin, when their foot got stepped on.

soccer-dive-headbutts.gif

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diver. Argentina was flopping all over the field against Canada.

Take it this is your first time watching any South American teams play football.... welcome to the Copa America and the world of football. Few games I have seen they also have South American referees, so can probably does not help with the diving. I watched Brazil vs Costa Rica... Costa Rica likes to dive as well, so not only the South American teams.

Was expecting more from Canada this tournament, beating Peru (bottom feeder of Conmebol) 1-0 with man advantage and being outshot did not leave a good impression.

Going into tournament felt pretty confident Canada would get through... but now have Chile and they are IMO better than Peru. Argentina already locked up #1... if they rest starters Peru could score a win. Now I believe anyone of those 3 teams could move through to next round.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it this is your first time watching any South American teams play football.... welcome to the Copa America and the world of football. Few games I have seen they also have South American referees, so can probably does not help with the diving. I watched Brazil vs Costa Rica... Costa Rica likes to dive as well, so not only the South American teams.

Was expecting more from Canada this tournament, beating Peru (bottom feeder of Conmebol) 1-0 with man advantage and being outshot did not leave a good impression.

Going into tournament felt pretty confident Canada would get through... but now have Chile and they are IMO better than Peru. Argentina already locked up #1... if they rest starters Peru could score a win. Now I believe anyone of those 3 teams could move through to next round.

I take it you have no clue what I watch.

And when they beat Peru yesterday it was the first time they had beaten somebody from that side of the equator. I was pleased as I expected a loss, especially after a clear head but was deemed legal.